• Forum membership has its advantages....

New to me vehicle time.

blue dog

It's time. I have a 2003 tacoma, one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever had, only basic maintenance stuff in 17 years, bought new at Huntington Beach Toyota. I have always had a 3/4 ton ram diesel also, but I don't pull trailers anymore , and what has become of diesel engines with all the egr, def etc, I have zero interest in them.
I have my choices down to this
Newer 4 runner trd off road
Newer Tacoma trd off road
Newer Ram power wagon.
Something with 50,000 on the clock no more. Man, new vehicles are expensive, and I just can't justify a $800.00 dollar payment plus insurance. Nevada car insurance is stupid ( more then Los Angeles )

I know a Toyota will out last the ram and have less issues, but I kinda want a full size truck again, and want to build myself a overland camping type vehicle without getting to stupid and over the top.

What say you brain trust of RDC.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Power wagon is nice having electric lockers & full size but the 9 mpg gets old so does visiting the dealer. Take a look at a steel body (pre 2015) ford ecoboost F150 runs like a bat outta hell decent mileage if you keep your foot out of it. Now the Tacoma what can I say? Thier absolutely bulletproof although a bit gutless & small, did I mention bulletproof? Don't even look at Tundra that gas slurping gutless pos is worthless other than bulletproof I'd pass. Don't even consider a GM truck it has everything going against it gutless, poor economy, interior way to busy with gizmos, and friggin ugly as hell (New ones) Last but definatly the least Nissan..................cricket sounds....................

What I'd like in a truck
I wished John Deere built one without the gawdawfull diesel emmisions crap, all the BS like electric tailgate with speakers? 4 door extra cab, brakes that work with exhaust brake, manual 6 speed with splitter, manual locking diffs F & R, you know usefull things hell I could even put up with the green & yellow paint scheme.

Last edited:

bajafox

Accepted
I was looking at "new to me" Tacomas yesterday to dump my wife's Prius and man, those things do not budge in price.

She also likes the newer Ford Explorers. As much as she prefers the Tacoma I'd rather get an Explorer since we have a new baby. I like the idea of having a 6 seater for road trips

blue dog

I wish we could get the land cruised 70 that they sell in Australia. That's what would be in my driveway.

jon coleman

jeep?( sorry, im biased to the brand.me?, Toyota is the only vehicle to own , money well Saved in long run

Offspring

The 4runner is a tried and true platform, but not the best for gas mileage. I'd watch out for one with too many mods especially to electrical system. The plastic surfaces in the rear are so soft every scratch shows up on it. Oil changes are a pita compared to my 7.3 excursion.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
I wish we could get the land cruised 70 that they sell in Australia. That's what would be in my driveway.
I bought a brand new '72 Land Cruiser for $3881.00 (out the door), by FAR the toughest vehicile I've EVER owned.
Sold it for $3850 5 yrs. later, one of the dumbest things I've ever done!

blue dog

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Still drives like the day I bought it off the lot in Huntington Beach in 2003.
The only reason I am contemplating a full size truck is that I want to build myself a overland type camping rig that I can vanish into the wild for weeks at a time. The Tacoma is not big enough for what I want to accomplish.
I know the smart thing to do is to buy another Tacoma trd off road.
KIMG0151.JPG

J Prich

You know for sure the right answer is to move up to a second gen Tacoma! As you noted, they hold their value so the prices for used tend to stay high ish but I personally wish we would have started with a 4wd 2005+ Tacoma for our race truck build. The 1st Gen has been good to us but the difference between the 3.4 and 4.0 makes me envious.

I'd get a Tacoma for a DD myself but I need to be able to tow so I've been keeping my eye out for Tundras.

blue dog

The 5vz 3.4 is a excellent motor. First gen is much lighter then 2nd and 3rd gen trucks.
5vz is a high winding motor, put your foot in it and it is just as quick as the 4.0 trucks. Gas milage sucks.
No 1/2 ton in full size for me. And no GM products in my driveway.
New to me vehicle is more of a want then a need.
If I could find a clean 2nd gen ram 2500 24 valve with NV trans, that would be my choice to build a overland truck.
The newer power wagons are nice and me like. 10 mpg does not excite me, but it all is a trade off. Factory lockers, good power, can still pull some weight, roomy. Can put a pop up camper on it.
I think the old Tacoma will sell quickly, they seem to be very desirable and mine is super clean.

Blood Eagle

Class Act
A 5VZFE and a 1GRFE are quite different and no a 3.4 will not touch a 4.0 in any sense performance wise. 4.0 has way more torque and power. But yeah you are getting about 18 mpg. Get about 21 mpg in the 3.4.

Nessy

The 5vz 3.4 is a excellent motor. First gen is much lighter then 2nd and 3rd gen trucks.
5vz is a high winding motor, put your foot in it and it is just as quick as the 4.0 trucks. Gas milage sucks.
No 1/2 ton in full size for me. And no GM products in my driveway.
New to me vehicle is more of a want then a need.
If I could find a clean 2nd gen ram 2500 24 valve with NV trans, that would be my choice to build a overland truck.
The newer power wagons are nice and me like. 10 mpg does not excite me, but it all is a trade off. Factory lockers, good power, can still pull some weight, roomy. Can put a pop up camper on it.
I think the old Tacoma will sell quickly, they seem to be very desirable and mine is super clean.
The Taco's are absolute great trucks and the 3.5 will run good but it's almost like a 2 stroke compared to the 4.0. The 4.0 is a great motor and even a lot better than the 3.4. I have been working on vehicles for 40 years and started at a Toyota dealership about 12 years ago and these vehicles have really impressed me. My truck is a 2000 F250 7.3L but when diesel went to almost 5 bucks a gallon and I went from driving 6 miles each way to 22 I had to get a hoopty for a daily. My first 3 where all 2002 Camry's that I bought with 130k or so and drove to over 200k and would resell for about $500 less than I paid. I never did anything except normal wear items on any of them. I now have everyone of my brothers, sisters, parents, etc in Tacoma's, 4runners, and Highlanders

jon coleman

best disposable cars right now are subarus, tonnes in the junk yard and mine has 320k on it, still runs great minus reverse gear, 28 mpg, 31+ hiway( no reverse is like duning, think ahead,Look ahead!!

JerryB

This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Still drives like the day I bought it off the lot in Huntington Beach in 2003.
The only reason I am contemplating a full size truck is that I want to build myself a overland type camping rig that I can vanish into the wild for weeks at a time. The Tacoma is not big enough for what I want to accomplish.
I know the smart thing to do is to buy another Tacoma trd off road.View attachment 215610
If your plans are to do multiple days out in the sticks (little jealous I must admit, still working for a few more years before I can disappear), not necessarily some crazy rock crawling, which you wouldn't be doing in a full size either, my opinion, keep the Tacoma and get yourself one of those small off road-overlanding trailers. The Tacoma is more reliable and just as capable as anything mentioned here. The new trailers now days will haul everything you need to rough it for a week or so, can get them with small kitchen, water storage, built in genset, pop up tents, on and on... Some are quite capable as long as you drive with it in mind behind you. I'm sure you've already looked at or thought of them, just what I would do if I was in your spot.

I recently moved on from a 2016 4 door JK, Currie 60's, 40's, etc. Stupid crazy crawling abilities and I could hold enough supplies to last about 6 days on Rubicon, Dusy, etc. Packed pretty strategically of course. Sleeping in a tent after the third day started getting a little rough on the back though!

Attachments

bajafox

Accepted
I've had both the 4.7L (2001 Tundra) and 5.7L V8 (2010 Tundra) and there's just no way I could ever go back to a midsize Tacoma. Plus I carry way too much stuff at races in Baja to own a smaller truck.

I've owned both the 2.7L and 3.4L motors also, never once had any issue with any of them.

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
I love my 03 DD taco!

What about a Gen1 rapturd for the weekend overland adventures and shenanigans? Prices are low although most ive seen are +90,xxx miles. Will you be keeping your tacoma as a DD?