New to racing!

Danny2shakes

So I am new to any type of desert racing and looking to make a jump into racing in 2020. Specifically the Baja 1000, but may attempt son shorter BITD or SCORE races before hand. Currently I am selling my drift car and track motorcycle for funds to start with and taking the year to build and save money. I have thought about running a numerous of different classes including uses my current daily driver 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road as an lower level class 7 stockified truck. I have found that a UTV class is probably a better choice for affordability and racing. I have talked with a local UTV shop owned by a friend and another friend who have both suggested staying NA with a RZR or Yamaha. Both said the new Honda Talon could be good, but unproven as it’s brand new. I have even considered the crazy idea of a RZR RS1 and doing the whole 1000 solo. Looking for any help or suggestions here to get going in the right direction!

Anger Issues

Boy, that opens up a whole can o' worms! Keep in mind I am a budget-minded racer who finally built my own Stone Stock SUV (at the time) in 2001 after co-dawging a LOT of miles with friends. I have raced about 4 different classes now, with moderate success at best!

1) learn to ignore all the smart-arse comments on RDC. people can be jerks. Take the good advice and forget the insults or stupid shiat. Don't let people discourage you, but do understand this isn't an easy road you are embarking on. And this aint cheap!

2) I would not start down the path of the "daily driver". Many cars can be purchased for 50 cents on the dollar for what you can build one. If you can't afford a jeep-speed, a class 1-2 1600, or maybe even a 9 car, then forget it and save some dough... volunteer on a team, hope for some co-dawg time, and work up to it later. I could spend hours suggesting a Ford Bronco 4x4 but Class 3 rarely gets any love these days, and racing alone sucks.

3) Although not my cup of tea, the SxS thing seems like a decent entry level, but from what I hear, you will spend well over 40k to make one safe and fast... for that dough you could score a nice class 5 bug, or maybe a 12 car.

4) I guess to wrap it up, I'm coming back to the idea of getting involved with another team, someplace close to you. You can learn TONS by being a pit guy/gal, helping on their car/truck and attending the races. Figure out your budget and start small. We are not the biggest, baddest team out there, but we way more fun than some of teams seem to do!

good luck!

Danny2shakes

Boy, that opens up a whole can o' worms! Keep in mind I am a budget-minded racer who finally built my own Stone Stock SUV (at the time) in 2001 after co-dawging a LOT of miles with friends. I have raced about 4 different classes now, with moderate success at best!

1) learn to ignore all the smart-arse comments on RDC. people can be jerks. Take the good advice and forget the insults or stupid shiat. Don't let people discourage you, but do understand this isn't an easy road you are embarking on. And this aint cheap!

2) I would not start down the path of the "daily driver". Many cars can be purchased for 50 cents on the dollar for what you can build one. If you can't afford a jeep-speed, a class 1-2 1600, or maybe even a 9 car, then forget it and save some dough... volunteer on a team, hope for some co-dawg time, and work up to it later. I could spend hours suggesting a Ford Bronco 4x4 but Class 3 rarely gets any love these days, and racing alone sucks.

3) Although not my cup of tea, the SxS thing seems like a decent entry level, but from what I hear, you will spend well over 40k to make one safe and fast... for that dough you could score a nice class 5 bug, or maybe a 12 car.

4) I guess to wrap it up, I'm coming back to the idea of getting involved with another team, someplace close to you. You can learn TONS by being a pit guy/gal, helping on their car/truck and attending the races. Figure out your budget and start small. We are not the biggest, baddest team out there, but we way more fun than some of teams seem to do!

good luck!
Thanks! I would love to volunteer and be a part of team if one was close by, but I am located in Omaha, Nebraska and it isn’t too popular around here. I am not planning on it being cheap at all. I certainly am not getting out of drift cars and motorcycles for this to be the cheaper alternative. I already spend about $1000 for a single track day in tires, fuel, and entry fees. I am looking for the adventure! I have seen a few built cars for sale that look promising. I have already priced out some UTVs and communication/gps electronics. I have several friends who do some good cage work as well. If you know of any team close by me or someone else sees this who is close by feel free to reach out if you’re looking for any help.

El Mamito USMC

Thanks! I would love to volunteer and be a part of team if one was close by, but I am located in Omaha, Nebraska and it isn’t too popular around here. I am not planning on it being cheap at all. I certainly am not getting out of drift cars and motorcycles for this to be the cheaper alternative. I already spend about $1000 for a single track day in tires, fuel, and entry fees. I am looking for the adventure! I have seen a few built cars for sale that look promising. I have already priced out some UTVs and communication/gps electronics. I have several friends who do some good cage work as well. If you know of any team close by me or someone else sees this who is close by feel free to reach out if you’re looking for any help.
ohh I remember my R33 for drift..

what you can do, its get a 1600 or a class 15 car and start in small races like Code or Record. once you have experience a few racers and all the logistical stuff that comes with it then jump to a B500 or 1000.

its the same logistical process to race any Baja race in our case (I live in NM, so I travel also) .. inbox me if you have any questions.

misterktm

Jeepspeed 1700. Best starter class there is for multiple reasons. Cost number one. Competition number two. The UTV's are growing like crazy yes, but to be competitive you have to spend a fair amount of money. The playing field isn't that even. You could do OK in the lowest UTV class (I don't know what the number/class is called) but the jeepspeeds are faster than those guys, and your still spending more money than a Jeepspeed. I'm sure there are plenty of UTV guys that will say otherwise...but my two cents is Jeepspeed! Just check out entry vs payback alone...

UTV and Jeepspeed are great classes to start with. I was originaly going to start with Jeepspeed and even bought a cherokee to start building but decided to switch to UTV's for a couple reasons. A UTV is very versatile, you can race in many different types of racing. You can race desert, Ultra4, short course WORCS, and all kinds of other stuff with slightly altering the same car. You might not be a top competitor if you have an all purpose UTV but you can have a lot of fun racing all year close to home and once a year go to Baja. The sponsorship availability is very high in the UTV class as well. One thing I drastically underestimated was the cost to race a season. Race prep, gas, hotels, travel, entry fees, food cost me around $30k a year to race and I live 3-5 hours from all the BITD races. I put together a budget once to race the Baja 1000 and it was going to cost me around $10k I'm definitly not trying to discourage anyone from getting into desert racing but its a constant struggle to make it to a race for me

misterktm

Case in point... Jeepspeed entry fee is half the UTV entry fee (in BITD). And buying a car to build is not the way to start. There are several very nice, extremely competitive jeepspeeds for sale. Particularly right now - there are three very nice, very competitive 1700 cars for sale right now. One is a three time series champion, including the last two years in a row, and it's won the first two races this year. You cannot build a car for what you can buy one for. I think that is an across the board deal regardless of class, not just Jeepspeed.

I have a YXZ thats race ready with spares for sale. Its currently prepped and ready to race UTV World Championship if you want it. I've already paid the entry fee and Ill bring it to the race and pit for you. Dont get any easier than that to start racing

Danny2shakes

I have a YXZ thats race ready with spares for sale. Its currently prepped and ready to race UTV World Championship if you want it. I've already paid the entry fee and Ill bring it to the race and pit for you. Dont get any easier than that to start racing
Curious how much are you asking for YXZ? Also thanks for all the great info!

misterktm

I'll sell you the afformentioned 3 time series championship jeepspeed for $28K and offer the same support for Silver State. The car is going, just a matter of it going with me driving, or a new owner....

It's also listed in the for sale section here.

I'm staying with Jeepspeed by the way, just moving up to a faster class...

dan200

#BSF200
Thanks! I would love to volunteer and be a part of team if one was close by, but I am located in Omaha, Nebraska and it isn’t too popular around here.
For the baja races offer yourself up by starting a thread called "Let me chase for you" 5 weeks before the races.

Offer to get yourself to and from San Diego or wherever on your own dime. Explain your qualifications and back ground.
Roll across embedded with a team. Sponge up knowledge, work hard make friends and dont be grump. You will learn years of knowledge just by listening to stories in the chase trucks. Plenty of people need help. Ya aint gonna get paid but the hotels and food should be included. This is how it begins for most everyone.

J Prich

Standard RDC "I"m a new guy that wants to race" advice:

Nugget 1 - "You probably can't afford it and don't know what you're getting in to. You have unrealistic expectations and if you don't listen to my advice you're going to fail".

Nugget 2 - "The best class/vehicle to race is the one I race. Totally gonna be the best option for you."

Nugget 3 - "Sell whatever it is you already have and buy something else, ideally my vehicle or at least a vehicle in the class I race, because it's totally the best option for you".

Soupy

I have no affiliation to Ultra4 racing other than a King Of the Hammers race volunteer. You have a race coming up near you.
Jun 14, 2019 - ULTRA4 Holley EFI Clash at Cross Bar Ranch - Davis, OK. I'd recommend, contacting ULTRA4 and volunteer (I will be). Show up, be the most helpful guy on the planet. Whether its the race organization, or most of the race teams, everyone can use a hand. I've been volunteering for 5 years for BITD and ULTRA4. I've found there are plenty of "ideas" to go around. And not enough "do'rs". I've made some great friends, had great experiences at every race. IF you really want to see all the cars from different classes - help with Tech and Contingency. You get to see them all, and talk to the teams that interest you.

Off road racing community will support you. But like anything, you gotta give to get. Give more than you expect to receive and you will receive more than you could ever ask for ... have patience.

El Mamito USMC

Standard RDC "I"m a new guy that wants to race" advice:

Nugget 1 - "You probably can't afford it and don't know what you're getting in to. You have unrealistic expectations and if you don't listen to my advice you're going to fail".

Nugget 2 - "The best class/vehicle to race is the one I race. Totally gonna be the best option for you."

Nugget 3 - "Sell whatever it is you already have and buy something else, ideally my vehicle or at least a vehicle in the class I race, because it's totally the best option for you".
that sounds like SOP for RDC.

hey can join a handlebar team also.. chasing its similar in all vehicles.

MTPyle

Asking $30K for everything. Its listed in the UTV classified section
I didn't think there would be race UTV's posted in the UTV section. Why not post it in the Race vehicle section of the classifieds? Is it a race vehicle? Or is it not OK for UTV guys to call their vehicles race vehicles? I would have never thought to look in UTV section for a race ready vehicle.

Maybe I just don't get the segregation? LOL Maybe its best the UTV guys stay in their own section? Hehe.

Mike

Danny2shakes

Well thanks everyone! I do plan to volunteer with a team or a race organization if possible this year. My plan has been to acquire whatever vehicle I want to race with this year, build it out as much as possible to pre-run this year. Go down to baja to camp out, pre-run, and watch/volunteer at the race and head home to finish building a solid racer for next year.

El Mamito USMC

Well thanks everyone! I do plan to volunteer with a team or a race organization if possible this year. My plan has been to acquire whatever vehicle I want to race with this year, build it out as much as possible to pre-run this year. Go down to baja to camp out, pre-run, and watch/volunteer at the race and head home to finish building a solid racer for next year.
tag along in OCT if you want for the Code 500..

cynicwanderer

motos and quads are the cheapest way to get into and get experience in BITD/SCORE, but also the most dangerous. the logistics are similar, but you don't require a trailer since it will load on a pickup/van, or a hitch carrier (bikes). start with something like Parker 250 or Laughlin, they require simple logistics (one pit) and you will meet people and learn from talking with them. the big loop and point to point races require more logistics and support and can be brutal. consider doing a fly and ride/drive type program for the first race, they have a lot of experience and are focused on doing what they can to support you to finish your race. once you have some experience with a few races and talked to people you will have a good idea about what you want to do next, before sinking a lot of money into it.

I didn't think there would be race UTV's posted in the UTV section. Why not post it in the Race vehicle section of the classifieds? Is it a race vehicle? Or is it not OK for UTV guys to call their vehicles race vehicles? I would have never thought to look in UTV section for a race ready vehicle.

Maybe I just don't get the segregation? LOL Maybe its best the UTV guys stay in their own section? Hehe.

Mike
Im not sure if its ok to post it in the "race Vehicle" section being a "golf cart" I know some people on this site still dont like and/or respect a utv enough to consider it a race vehicle. Definitely some segregation going on but I guess that can be expected for a new style of vehicle still in its development stages.