• Forum membership has its advantages....

new to solidworks need help!

kdm73091

i have solidworks 2011 and i havent made much progress with the program haha. im pretty lost on how it works and im not that great with computers. im trying to learn the basics right now and hopefully build badass stuff with the program. i want to learn how to build cages, and suspension for my ranger. i need a basic platform to start on but idk if i should build the frame or if theres anyone out there that has a 97 ranger frame that i can download. any info on how i can make the program easier to learn or how to learn it first would be awesome.

sirhk100

Have you done the tutorials that come with the program? At least I assume they still do... They did on older versions. Pickup a entry level how to book also. That'll help you a ton! It'll take a little bit to pickup the basics but once you've got that it'll start flying from there. Especially if you're just making parts from scratch that don't have to work with existing surfaces or complex radius shapes.

kdm73091

Have you done the tutorials that come with the program? At least I assume they still do... They did on older versions. Pickup a entry level how to book also. That'll help you a ton! It'll take a little bit to pickup the basics but once you've got that it'll start flying from there. Especially if you're just making parts from scratch that don't have to work with existing surfaces or complex radius shapes.
i have a tutorial book but i havnt gotten through it much it seems like a bunch of stuff that isnt helping in what im trying to do loll

+1 on the program tutorials helps you figure out the basics dialog boxes ect
youtube usually has quite a bit if your having a hard time with something
local community collage should have classes

quick question for some buddy that could answer is it easier to do cage work with 3d sketches
or just use a lot of plains. also would like to use weldment to help with the tube copeing.

ErikShallbetter

+1 on the program tutorials helps you figure out the basics dialog boxes ect
youtube usually has quite a bit if your having a hard time with something
local community collage should have classes

quick question for some buddy that could answer is it easier to do cage work with 3d sketches
or just use a lot of plains. also would like to use weldment to help with the tube copeing.
I like to use a 3d sketch and create my main "points" or cage nodes, then connect the dots with a 3d sketch, apply any radiuses, and then use weldments.

ended up useing pains for rear main and dash hoop and 3d sketch for the rest
only problem is i made it in part and not assemblies so i cant pull out single tube sections trying to figure out how to switch it over
one big problem i ended up haveing is wierd tube extensions that coped outer tubes and could delete the extenton but left the tube coped 3rd photo shows end result
let me know if you want the file to check it out maybe give me some pointers

also when triming sometimes get an error "failed to trim due to geometric condition" any tips on this.

Attachments

ErikShallbetter

If you made it in weldments you should be able to break it into individual tubes. Go to your design tree and towards the top find where it says "cut lists" right click it and go to update. Expand the cutlist and it will show you all the bodies in your weldment. Right click one of the bodies and "insert into new part" give it a name and save your new part.

Hope that helps!

sirhk100

I've always done my cage stuff in the assembly cause I can adjust angles by the angle of my cut making the end of the tube and the intersecting tubes concentric and then adjust the direction the tubes heading by mating it with angles off a plane basically. I don't do much stuff like that though... I work more with existing surfaces or with solid parts, molds, etc...

kdm73091

so do the cage work in assembly or sketch? i would like to go off somewhat of a stock ranger frame so it would be similar to my truck but i havnt had luck on finding anything on frames

ErikShallbetter

Your cage "assembly" (all the individual tubes) can be drawn as one part. Use the weldment feature and it will create a cutlist of the individual bodies. Use sketches to determine the location of your tubing. I would not draw each tube and an individual "part" of an "assembly" By using sketches and weldments, you can move one point, and everything will update accordingly.

You most likely will not find the frame, as people who have them get them from SEMA and can not share, and those that draw them by reverse engineering don't want to give away their work for free.

Eric,when i look up bodies in the weldment cut list the sketch fillet i use for bent tubes brakes a single tube into seprate cut list befor bend the bend and after bend
any way to make it a single item.
did you check out the tube extension i was talking about in pic 3
also when triming sometimes get an error "failed to trim due to geometric condition" any tips on this.
thanks for all the help

ErikShallbetter

Yes, before you update your cut list, highlight the 3 individual bodies in the cutlist. Right click and there should be a "combine" option. Combine the 3 individual bodies of what will be your single tube. After you are done update your cutlist and it will be one tube.

As for your trimming question, I may not be able to help without seeing what you are doing. When you create your weldment, are you grouping your tube span selections so that the joints automatically trim? Or are you creating your weldments one tube at a time and using the trim feature?

i found it was easier for me to not use groups.. it ended up screwing up all the notches for myself.. little bit longer process to keep doing each tube individually and then at the end go back and use the trim/extend tool..

ErikShallbetter

Not necessarily each individual tube, but you will have multiple groups of tubes. Then like mentioned earlier, use the trim feature to notch what you need. Use folders to keep the design tree from getting out of hand and don't sweat it.