New to the Desert

ebbivv

Reaction
Hi i'm a long time rider and want to do my first desert race, I was thinking of the NORRA 500 to start, and hopefully work up to the Baja 500/1000. I currently gathering information and would appreciate any info you guys could offer. We can skip the its hard,dangerous,etc... stuff, I realize that. I'm 50, at the top of my game physically, and accustomed to training in high heat/humidity environments, so I have that covered, and i'm good bike wise, considering my modded xr650L, or just pop for a new 450x. I'm not looking to be competitive, just want to do it for the thrill, and to say i did and be able to actually finish unscathed.

My primary issue is that I have no friends or relatives who are into motorcycles at any level, I've ridden solo for 40 of my 50 years, and therein lies a problem. I have nobody for pit support. Are there companies that offer these services in full? and whats the average cost? Aside from being able to get to location with my equipment I'll need everything else as a paid service. If anyone can let me know the best way to achieve my goal please let me know. Below is a list of info i need.

1. Best pack to carry, and item list
2. Sat phone recommendation
3. Best GPS
4. Radio and comms
5. hydration
6. Fuel tank size
7. List of spare parts to bring.
8. Most common mech failures
9. Lighting
10. Anything else you can think of.

Thanks Again,

Ed

Baja Dad

Reaction
For the NORRA 500 race I can do a Fly and Ride
I can take care of everything start to finish.
All you need is you Riding gear, and I can help you with that also
Just send me a PM

For the Baja 500 and 1000 We will be racing so I would contact Moto Bound Adv

pgarfinkle

Reaction

isdtbower

Reaction
I would suggest working with a "team" also. There are some valuable lessons that can be communicated before you ride. And any pre-riding, to get a feel for it would help you relax for the long days. Florida and the east coast is "Looking down" with lots of wrist throttle. Desert is "Looking out" and hanging in there. It takes a while to get comfortable with that. Minimize your chaos if you can. Have a great adventure.

MasTacos

Reaction
Hi Ed,

Even though you called it out as understood, it's important to know that talented people have been killed racing in NORRA too. Technically there's no prerunning in NORRA so you don't get the opportunity to cruise the course with some folks ahead of time so the first exposure to the terrain is on race day.

I'd recommend you def reach out to Bajabound Moto but also see if you can work in with a Class 50 moto team.

For pit support I recommend reaching out to Mag7.