• Forum membership has its advantages....

New to UTV Desert Racing-Need Advice

sway1101

My father and I recently bought a 2020 Can-am X3 RS Turbo R with the goal of racing BITD UTV Rally Sportsman. We are not new to the desert racing scene, we go to about 8+ races each year and pit for friends and family, however, we are new to the UTV world and this will be the first time racing since the 80s and 90s. So, we're looking for advice and guidance about a few things. Here are a list of things that I'm hoping some folks can help with.

Also, we're trying to be as budget conscious as possible to get started.

1. What minimum things do we need to do to the car to pass tech? I've read the rule book and it's a little confusing with the rally sportsman vs the sportsman rules.
2. I know we need an aftermarket cage, can anyone recommend an Arizona based shop to get a good Chrome-Moly cage for under 3k?
3. If you were in our shoes what would you do to the car before your first race besides those items requires to pass tech?

Thanks for the help

ht racing

if money is a issue at all then do yourself a favor save that nice sxs for fun play time and leave the race thing alone. its hella expensive and the original build is only your first cost. the real cost is keeping it running in race prep cond and then having a new sxs that is trashed.

M.Tornel Jr

My father and I recently bought a 2020 Can-am X3 RS Turbo R with the goal of racing BITD UTV Rally Sportsman. We are not new to the desert racing scene, we go to about 8+ races each year and pit for friends and family, however, we are new to the UTV world and this will be the first time racing since the 80s and 90s. So, we're looking for advice and guidance about a few things. Here are a list of things that I'm hoping some folks can help with.

Also, we're trying to be as budget conscious as possible to get started.

1. What minimum things do we need to do to the car to pass tech? I've read the rule book and it's a little confusing with the rally sportsman vs the sportsman rules.
2. I know we need an aftermarket cage, can anyone recommend an Arizona based shop to get a good Chrome-Moly cage for under 3k?
3. If you were in our shoes what would you do to the car before your first race besides those items requires to pass tech?

Thanks for the help
You have to change the shocks, tune them, change the clutch and the axles.

43mod

first thing to do is ignore HT Racing ! Regardless of what the rules say the minimum safety equipment is you need to do what is right in that regard . More than likely a window net and seat belt/better seat belt would not have saved Pete . Side impacts are a big deal in my eyes . I want the window area small enough to make intrusion by a fence post, rock, wheel , tire ,and or bumper not very likely . Anything you do to strengthen the B and C pillar will probably also help in a frontal type roll or impact as well. Right after you make it safe then move on to making it faster .

ht racing

first thing to do is ignore HT Racing ! Regardless of what the rules say the minimum safety equipment is you need to do what is right in that regard . More than likely a window net and seat belt/better seat belt would not have saved Pete . Side impacts are a big deal in my eyes . I want the window area small enough to make intrusion by a fence post, rock, wheel , tire ,and or bumper not very likely . Anything you do to strengthen the B and C pillar will probably also help in a frontal type roll or impact as well. Right after you make it safe then move on to making it faster .
AND WHAT CLASS CAR DO YOU RUN THERE 43 MOD?

TJ_Gambino

Zambo

Rally sportsman in BITD is very stock. The rule book has the reps phone number, call him and ask him what you need to do to be legal. Beyond that, save your money and figure it out as you go. You don't need to spend big money to go out there and bang doors a few times a year with other UTVs.

450grl

Zambo has great advice - start there, always. Forums are not the best place to get accurate information on rules....give Sappington a call and ask any questions you need clarity on. My style is to start with all the safety stuff, and then find out through testing what other parts I might need to live through a race. Some things I would do right out of the gate would be rear radius rods and cage for the rods, a front bulkhead gusset kit, swaybars and links (front and rear) and a really tough skid plate w/trailing arm guards. Beyond that, I would try a race and see how it did......then go from there.

sand shark

Zambo has great advice - start there, always. Forums are not the best place to get accurate information on rules....give Sappington a call and ask any questions you need clarity on. My style is to start with all the safety stuff, and then find out through testing what other parts I might need to live through a race. Some things I would do right out of the gate would be rear radius rods and cage for the rods, a front bulkhead gusset kit, swaybars and links (front and rear) and a really tough skid plate w/trailing arm guards. Beyond that, I would try a race and see how it did......then go from there.
I would add either replacing the lower a-arms are adding a gusset kit to them. They will fold in a race environment. Shock tuning should be on the list of things after the safety stuff is addressed.

450grl

I would add either replacing the lower a-arms are adding a gusset kit to them. They will fold in a race environment. Shock tuning should be on the list of things after the safety stuff is addressed.
Yep - agreed - lower arms and shock tuning would also be on my list. 👍

RedRide

This is spot on with what I have done. Also consider what races best fits this limited class. I wouldn’t start my first race at somewhere like San Felipe or the Mint due to the fact that they are so rough and will eat up your car if you try to run at a decent pace. My suggestions would be Silver State, Ridgecrest, V2R, NORRA.