New TORC Pro 2 rules

dbq61537

Reaction
I just checking my email...and got an interesting TORC update.

They just announced new Pro 2 rules.

1: they are switching, Pro 2 to a DOT tire rule...no more project special cut tires.

2: the new engine rule...is a real game changer...new rule...

...maximum engine size is capped at 410ci's...with a mandated GM transmission.

These rules are designed to lower costs, and to ease the transition, from ProLite to Pro 2.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

sb4pro

Reaction
If it truly brings the truck count up I'm for it if not go back to original rules

justafan

Reaction
What is the limiting factor on this engine? Most guys are already at 410 or even less. There has got to be a carb and/or head package that is supposedly keeping costs down. How is it policed from a Ford to Chevy? Don't think there is a Mopar out there. Maybe the old Jenkins truck. Are all aluminum engines out?

I've read where this is a package that'll make 650HP. A 410 can, will and is making much more power than that.

alwaysracin

Reaction
What is the limiting factor on this engine? Most guys are already at 410 or even less. There has got to be a carb and/or head package that is supposedly keeping costs down. How is it policed from a Ford to Chevy? Don't think there is a Mopar out there. Maybe the old Jenkins truck. Are all aluminum engines out?

I've read where this is a package that'll make 650HP. A 410 can, will and is making much more power than that.
Sportsman Limited 2 engine package. There were 4 Pro 2 trucks so they bump Sportsman Limited 2 to Pro 2. This way eliminated 2 truck classes. Limited 4 by making it to expensive and Limited 2 by bumping it to Pro 2 so there is more trucks for TV. And working to get rid of rest of them by limiting how many races other classes run for points.

PDANK Racing

Reaction
I'm all for it. Pro2 was boring AF last season, this is the easiest way to increase truck counts.. Lowering the HP will help keep from trucks from breaking so much. Limited 2 is a super expensive class to begin with, so adding TV time to their program will increase the chances of teams picking up bigger sponsors, with hopefully no cost increase for their program. Obviously the limited 2 guys will have to up their game to run with the pro's, but I think the fast L2 guys will still be upfront.

Hopefully we'll see some new and old Pro2 racers on the track this season.

dbq61537

Reaction
The thought I just had was...

Isn't the CJ Greaves Toyota already, way less then, the 410 max? Those Toyota's are screaming on full throttle...how are these new rules going to help, an also ran, or even a new comer be competitive?

alwaysracin

Reaction
The thought I just had was...

Isn't the CJ Greaves Toyota already, way less then, the 410 max? Those Toyota's are screaming on full throttle...how are these new rules going to help, an also ran, or even a new comer be competitive?

Have to use aluminum Brodix WISSOTA head or cast iron head that is mandated. there is no cast iron or aluminum WISSOTA head for Toyota. 7500 RPM chip.

ryspilg

Reaction
Having more trucks on the track is great, but the quality of the show is more important than quantity. Hopefully this rule change can cater to all needs of on track action.

stephenrjking

Reaction
I agree that quality is important, but quantity certainly makes a difference in quality. Not infrequent have been the Pro-2 races where the only barrier for entry to the podium was the ability to finish the race at all. When you start with 5 or 6 and there's a mechanical issue or two and a guys flips, there's not much to watch. More trucks means there's action somewhere on the track, even if Keegan or CJ has the field dusted up front. That was a real problem this past year and it curbed my enjoyment of some races.

I'm no insider but I get the impression this is another direct result of management's efforts to sell to the needs of the competitors, because they need those guys for fans to have something to see. I know one Pro Lite guy I talked to (this is the great thing about a series like this, I'm a nobody but team owners will just talk to you if you come by) said that a move up to Pro-2 was prohibitively expensive and that there was no way they would be able to make that leap from Pro Lite as it was. Maybe that will change now.

Mildly disappointed that this means that LOORS and TORC guys can't just run in a crossover series race without running a different spec truck, but that didn't happen enough for this not to be on the table.

dbq61537

Reaction
Have to use aluminum Brodix WISSOTA head or cast iron head that is mandated. there is no cast iron or aluminum WISSOTA head for Toyota. 7500 RPM chip.
Then why would Toyota...or any manufacturer for that matter...support a team in Pro2? It doesn't make business sense, if you can't run your own stuff. Why would Ford back a Factory Pro2 team, if they still have to use a Chevy based head?

As a former small business owner, and current manager of another small business...I'm sorry to say...

THEY WON'T

ryspilg

Reaction
I agree that quality is important, but quantity certainly makes a difference in quality. Not infrequent have been the Pro-2 races where the only barrier for entry to the podium was the ability to finish the race at all. When you start with 5 or 6 and there's a mechanical issue or two and a guys flips, there's not much to watch. More trucks means there's action somewhere on the track, even if Keegan or CJ has the field dusted up front. That was a real problem this past year and it curbed my enjoyment of some races.

I'm no insider but I get the impression this is another direct result of management's efforts to sell to the needs of the competitors, because they need those guys for fans to have something to see. I know one Pro Lite guy I talked to (this is the great thing about a series like this, I'm a nobody but team owners will just talk to you if you come by) said that a move up to Pro-2 was prohibitively expensive and that there was no way they would be able to make that leap from Pro Lite as it was. Maybe that will change now.

Mildly disappointed that this means that LOORS and TORC guys can't just run in a crossover series race without running a different spec truck, but that didn't happen enough for this not to be on the table.
Agree!! 6 trucks on track with 2 that are leaps and bounds faster is not the funniest to watch. I think some of those super truck guys are talented enough to challenge for podiums and create a good show for us.

Will be interesting to see how the Labor Day weekend is going to work out and if the same rules apply..if not, now you have TORC guys needing to scramble and have a different motor ready..

alwaysracin

Reaction
Then why would Toyota...or any manufacturer for that matter...support a team in Pro2? It doesn't make business sense, if you can't run your own stuff. Why would Ford back a Factory Pro2 team, if they still have to use a Chevy based head?

As a former small business owner, and current manager of another small business...I'm sorry to say...

THEY WON'T

Brodix makes WISSOTA heads for Ford, Dodge and Chevy..

justafan

Reaction
I am assuming the Brodix head is an "as cast" head an no porting or gasket match etc? 7500 chip is going to help longevity.

Getting the field larger is only going to help. I know when I go watch 360 sprints it's just as exciting as 410's. Good close racing is awesome no matter that speeds. That's why I love the light and limited buggies.

Hoping that this gets drivers like Keith Steele back on track for the season. Also will be awesome to see Dorr, Ruppel, Peterson, and all the others racing with the "Pros". Should make for a great season. If all works out, hopefully you see 10+ out there.

PDANK Racing

Reaction

THEY WON'T

When you look at the total sponsorship money in Pro2 between both series, what percent is from an Auto manufacturer? maybe 1%? How many fully sponsored teams by a Auto maker? Zero.......

Put Toyota Valve covers on, 99% of fans wouldn't know the difference.

justafan

Reaction
When you look at the total sponsorship money in Pro2 between both series, what percent is from an Auto manufacturer? maybe 1%? How many fully sponsored teams by a Auto maker? Zero.......

Yep, there were lots of Ram sponsored Ford powered trucks out there when they came to TORC. The look on the face of the crew/drivers when you called out the Fopar was funny. They said most never noticed. There was one true Mopar/Ram out there.

Don't think it'll matter to Greaves and Toyota.. After all CJ won a lot of races with a Moyota.

450grl

Reaction
I like it....I think it will make the Pro 2 class more interesting to watch, and I'm for anything that opens the door to get more competitors in and make it less of a money class. Pro 4 is always there for those that just have money burning a hole in their pockets.....very interested to see how this pans out.

PS - I named one of my dogs Brodix.....so maybe I'm a bit biased lol!

alwaysracin

Reaction

But TOYOTA will....