New Total Chaos Shackles

SpitDirtCom

Reaction
Has anyone seen the new Total Chaos Shackles for the Toyota? I just bought them from Kartek, I think I was one of the first to buy them. I believe they come in 9" and 12" lengths. I bought the 12" length. Once again another great product from Total Chaos. I will post pics later this afternoon.

cleartoy

Reaction
I saw the pic on Bajas site.

Jordan

Reaction
Corey,

$800 is a good price for people on that setup. I would never spend $500 on shackles like some other companies are asking. Ridiculous! It's a shackle!

SuperDave

Reaction
What does the top of the shackle mount to? Does it come with a weld-on mount or use the stock frame mount?

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Where do these shackles bolt up? I noticed in the picture there isn't any kind of hanger for the shackle so do they bolt up to the stock location?

SpitDirtCom

Reaction
here is the pic of the shackle,

it comes with the sleeve that welds to your frame which the bushings then slde into. The guy from Kartek recommended eithr going through the frame as high as possible or to the top of the frame for the upper mount. I haven't decide what to do yet, maybe you guys have some ideas???

sorry the quality of the pic sucks

Attachments

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
So they just give you the tubing for the bushings to go through, but they dont' give you anything to weld to the top of the frame. And are the shackles just two pieces of round tubing? Or is it flat plate with tubing welded on top for support?

SuperDave

Reaction
Let us know how it turns out. Maybe I'll buy the same setup for my truck.

Personally I like the idea of welding the upper mount through the frame. Then the frame can support the weight of the truck. If you weld the upper mount to the top of the frame, then it's just the welds that support the weight of the truck. I'm sure it would be fine like that but I think going through the frame gives me a little more mental security.

I wonder if that's why they offer the two different lenghts, 8" for through the frame and 12" for over the frame.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I have 62's and I went through the frame with my shackle and I use a 10 1/2 " shackle.

The 8" shackle they offer is for going in the STOCK location. It would be to short to go through or over the frame.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Well they made that basically for the people that want to keep your bed or for 4Runners. Because those are harder to make a new rear mount.....

It will cycle fine it just wont have as much travel. I would guess around 13-14" with the 8" shackle.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
If you mount it in the stock location and have 13-14" you are limiting a lot of the droop the 62" get. I think they would just be better off getting the replacment pack for $450 and put the left over money into the shocks and shock hoop.

Also you'll still have to pay a shop to install it (unless ya do it by yourself) to find where to mount the front hanger and weld on the spring perches under the axle. So even though its $600 for the 62" and $200 for the front hanger and shackle there are still more costs in it.

SuperDave

Reaction
I currently have the $450 replacement pack and I'm not entirely happy with them. It's a 11-leaf pack and they sit above the axle in the stock location. The leaf pack is so thick it was like I was adding 2" lift blocks, and it only cycles about 9". I can see how by using a longer leaf pack and shackle and relocating them under the axle can give you more travel. I'd be happy with 13-14" of rear travel. I'm getting 12-13" from the front.

cleartoy

Reaction
Super Dave, I made my shackles 10" eye to eye out of 1/2"x2" flat stock goin through the frame for my 62s. I have a stock bed so it seemed the thing to do for me.

I mounted a set of 62s on a freinds tacoma with no bed and at his request mounted his 14" eye to eye shackles(he made himself) above the frame. Just like your saying about the lack of support, i tied into the shackle mount in 2 places with 1.5" tubing goin up to the bed cage so it cant move. Theres no way the shackle mount will be able to lift the bed cage, so done deal.

If your talking about a setup with just 2 welds holding the bushing mount to the frame with no extra support....thats deffinitely a no go.

Jordan

Reaction
What exact pack are you running? I have the Deaver Tacoma Replacement pack and I cycle 15 and it wants to keep going but my 14" shocks dont allow it.

SuperDave

Reaction
Oh...guess I could have included more details. It's a '94 4WD, not a Tacoma, 1" lift, 11-leaf pack of Nationals. I have a limiting strap limiting the last inch of droop and low profile bumpstops mounted to the stock bumpstop striking pad. At ride hieght the leafs are close to flat. It has 4" of droop and 5" of compression. I could get 1-2" more compression travel by eliminating the stock bumpstop striking pad and mount the bumpstops to the frame but I'd have to relocate my shock mounts. But I'm thinking if I was going to go through the trouble of relocating my shock mounts for 1-2" of additional travel, I might as well go all out and get longer leafs, shackles, and shocks. In summary and technically speaking, I could probably get 12" of travel if I didn't have limiting straps or bumpstops. But I'm still jealous of all the guys with the 62" leafs. Guess I should have bought those the first time.

drtdevil93

Reaction
i believe the 8" shackle is for under the frame, and the 12" is for through or over the axle. the rear shackle mount needs to be moved. if memory serves me correct, the stock shackle mount is a lot wider than the spring, meaning the shackle would need to bend inwards.

dave: our small pack (built custom off of your stock main leaf) does 12-13" of wheel travel, and costs about $350. just lettting you know there is an alternative.

erik

Jordan

Reaction
Dave,

Head over to Deaver and talk to Jeff or Erik. They will get you going on a better leaf pack. My new Deaver pack is great.