• Forum membership has its advantages....

New Toyota based Pro Comp Raptor killer!

johnnyweb

Hmmm some how the aftermarket long travel kits never quit get the travel #'s they claim when selling them. IMO and experiences in installing them.

randy s

before someone can make something better than a raptor, they'll need a new frame first..it starts there..

Bajated

Randy, it depends on what you're trying to do - we're trying to make a complete performance package that works as well or better than a Raptor both on and off road at a much lower total cost. It's not a race truck; it has rubber bushings and high-angle, heavy duty ball joints rather than uniballs. This is to provide long term durability, reduce NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) and keep our customers on the same maintenance schedule as the base vehicle. Listen next time a long travel pre runner drives by; many (including my daily driver) sound like a rolling junkyard, with bypass check valves clicking and uniballs squeaking. Ford proved there is a market for a more civilized, but still very capable high performance off road truck, and Pro Comp is making that market even bigger by letting you convert an F-150 or Tundra to that level of performance for a reasonable price.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

J Prich

I think you are missing the point. If we have more vehicles out there that connect back to off-road we sell more products and have more money in racing!
Totally agreed, I just got hung on the "Raptor Killer" notion. The Pro Comp kit will be fine for what it's designed for and who it's marketed to, I just led myself down a path of comparing to a more "serious" off road performance kit and it doesn't seem to fit the bill.

For the 4WheelParts crowd, I'm sure this will be a nice seller.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I just think its hilarious that instead of everyone just making their own kits and having their own identity everyone always tries to market their product as a "Raptor killer" which means the Raptor has already won by being the measure everything else is based on.

Furthermore, no matter what anyone says about how much better a Toyota/Dodge/whatever is with brand X aftermarket kit on it is none of them can say they have a billion dollar investment and a team of engineers behind their development and a warranty backing it all up. Until a manufacture actually offers a comparable truck to the Raptor from the factory floor the Raptor will always win. I truly wish more manufacturers would do it.

How is a truck with hand fabricated suspension and race shocks even comparable to a factory production vehicle? Put the same level of aftermarket parts (apple to apple) on the Raptor and Tundra and then do a comparison.

And this..........

I just think its hilarious that instead of everyone just making their own kits and having their own identity everyone always tries to market their product as a "Raptor killer" which means the Raptor has already won by being the measure everything else is based on.

Furthermore, no matter what anyone says about how much better a Toyota/Dodge/whatever is with brand X aftermarket kit on it is none of them can say they have a billion dollar investment and a team of engineers behind their development and a warranty backing it all up. Until a manufacture actually offers a comparable truck to the Raptor from the factory floor the Raptor will always win. I truly wish more manufacturers would do it.

Jerry Zaiden

How is a truck with hand fabricated suspension and race shocks even comparable to a factory production vehicle? Put the same level of aftermarket parts (apple to apple) on the Raptor and Tundra and then do a comparison.

And this..........
Depends what you are trying to do.

If you really want to use the Raptor to the level of a built Tundra then you are mistaken. If you want to look cool going to the grocery store and do some mild off roading then sure a stock Raptor is cool. My opinon comes from actually owning BOTH trucks and taking them both offroad. Heck the Raptor steering pump blew out 5 min into trying to use it at speed. lol

Remember there is a reason why people replace ALL the stock suspension parts on a Raptor with Fabricated parts. This is because they do not hold up to the same abuse. So I guess a Raptor isn't a Raptor either. lol Not to mention you need to add a rear Air bump kit to keep the frame from bending when using a Raptor off-road aggressively. I have yet to see a Tundra frame bend.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire

If you really want to use the Raptor to the level of a built Tundra then you are mistaken. If you want to look cool going to the grocery store and do some mild off roading then sure a stock Raptor is cool. My opinon comes from actually owning BOTH trucks and taking them both offroad. Heck the Raptor steering pump blew out 5 min into trying to use it at speed. lol

Remember there is a reason why people replace ALL the stock suspension parts on a Raptor with Fabricated parts. This is because they do not hold up to the same abuse. So I guess a Raptor isn't a Raptor either. lol Not to mention you need to add a rear Air bump kit to keep the frame from bending when using a Raptor off-road aggressively. I have yet to see a Tundra frame bend.
You are so wrong!! lol I still run all the stock arms, stock steering parts, stock hardware etc and my Raptor has at least 10k+ miles of pure Baja running and never once had an issue. I have upgraded the shocks (Fox asked to use mine to build a the 3.0 shocks back in 2010) and I have but the rear frame brace (the early Raptors did have defect there but I believe that was corrected).

To say that the Raptor is meant for those "who want to look cool going to the grocery store and some mild off-roading" clearly shows you don't know what you're talking about. Now I know you are going to say you're "neutral" (we both know you're not!) and that you've drive both (you have not spent the time in a Raptor in Baja like I have and you know it) and its not as good as a "mild" built Toyota is total crap! Testing in Barstow is not what the Raptor was designed for, it was designed for Baja and it far and away exceeds there more so than any other truck, including a mild built Toyota. The proof is in the pudding too, if a mild built Toyota was better than a Raptor then why do you see 10 times the Raptors at the races acting as chase trucks, pre-runners etc then Toyotas?

Chris Tobin

I would buy a Raptor, if Toyota made it.

My Tundra was made in USA, where is the Raptor made?

Fox, I believe most of the GM trucks are built in the US as well. TX or MI plants if I remember correctly. The Fords are made in MI and I am not sure about the Rams...

az_amsoil

All the Raptors that I personally know, used for prerun or chase have built, non-factory suspension, at least. Its cool to have a factory warranty rig, but if you start to push it you upgrade. How many Jeep Rubicons never see a trail? How many that do end up with a complete suspension, gear upgrade and 37-40" tires? I think the point is, the Raptor is capable as is the TRD Pro, but with some after market love they a very capable.

BTW I was a driver at Hotel Tacoma (Toyota event last moth in Kingman) and was very impressed with the TRD Pro. I would t give up my 3/4 ton diesel + Carli suspension; but for a small, nimble platform it was very good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

johnnyweb

I would buy a Raptor, if Toyota made it.

My Tundra was made in USA, where is the Raptor made?

Dearborn Michigan! Not all Toyota's are made in the USA. Some are some aren't. Some Toyota's are Canada some in Japan. Dodge trucks made in Mexico. Ford Fusion made in Mexico, Ford Focus made in USA. Just to name a few

johnnyweb

I have seen plenty of Toyota's bent being I am in the collision repair business. LOL In an offroad situation I have experiences with Toyota's motor motor mounts and suspension pick up's tearing right off the frame. My old Ranger and F150 frames held up real well?

By the time you buy a loaded Tundra install the suspension kit, wheels & tires, regear the diffs, program the ecu for offroad use (if you can), fiberglass fenders and painting. You will have reached the price of the Raptor and then some all while voiding your factory warranty and nice new truck fit and finish.

Dearborn Michigan! Not all Toyota's are made in the USA. Some are some aren't. Some Toyota's are Canada some in Japan. Dodge trucks made in Mexico. Ford Fusion made in Mexico, Ford Focus made in USA. Just to name a few
Thanks, I wasnt trying to imply all Toyotas are made here. I see a semi truck full of Tacomas every morning that comes across from the Otay border. I was just curious cause I couldnt find the answer online.

Ford has always been my second choice, we had an Escape a few years ago. I prefer that one over a Rav4

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk