• Forum membership has its advantages....

New Toyota based Pro Comp Raptor killer!

bobsson

before someone can make something better than a raptor, they'll need a new frame first..it starts there..
Wasn't there an issue with Raptors bending frames between the bed and cab? I'm not knocking the Raptor, I'll probably trade my current vehicle in for one of the new ones when I can, but they're not perfect either.

bobsson

Randy, it depends on what you're trying to do - we're trying to make a complete performance package that works as well or better than a Raptor both on and off road at a much lower total cost. It's not a race truck; it has rubber bushings and high-angle, heavy duty ball joints rather than uniballs. This is to provide long term durability, reduce NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) and keep our customers on the same maintenance schedule as the base vehicle. Listen next time a long travel pre runner drives by; many (including my daily driver) sound like a rolling junkyard, with bypass check valves clicking and uniballs squeaking. Ford proved there is a market for a more civilized, but still very capable high performance off road truck, and Pro Comp is making that market even bigger by letting you convert an F-150 or Tundra to that level of performance for a reasonable price.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
The squeaks and rattles my Ranger used to have would drive my passengers nuts thinking it was about to fall apart.

bobsson

I just think its hilarious that instead of everyone just making their own kits and having their own identity everyone always tries to market their product as a "Raptor killer" which means the Raptor has already won by being the measure everything else is based on.

Furthermore, no matter what anyone says about how much better a Toyota/Dodge/whatever is with brand X aftermarket kit on it is none of them can say they have a billion dollar investment and a team of engineers behind their development and a warranty backing it all up. Until a manufacture actually offers a comparable truck to the Raptor from the factory floor the Raptor will always win. I truly wish more manufacturers would do it.
It's not really manufacturers making this claim it's off road shops that have their own kit. I think the Raptor is a decent bench mark and these guys are trying to appeal to those who want that kind of performance, look, whatever and have a different truck. Marketing your kit as half as good as a raptor won't go very far.

bobsson

You are so wrong!! lol I still run all the stock arms, stock steering parts, stock hardware etc and my Raptor has at least 10k+ miles of pure Baja running and never once had an issue. I have upgraded the shocks (Fox asked to use mine to build a the 3.0 shocks back in 2010) and I have but the rear frame brace (the early Raptors did have defect there but I believe that was corrected).

To say that the Raptor is meant for those "who want to look cool going to the grocery store and some mild off-roading" clearly shows you don't know what you're talking about. Now I know you are going to say you're "neutral" (we both know you're not!) and that you've drive both (you have not spent the time in a Raptor in Baja like I have and you know it) and its not as good as a "mild" built Toyota is total crap! Testing in Barstow is not what the Raptor was designed for, it was designed for Baja and it far and away exceeds there more so than any other truck, including a mild built Toyota. The proof is in the pudding too, if a mild built Toyota was better than a Raptor then why do you see 10 times the Raptors at the races acting as chase trucks, pre-runners etc then Toyotas?
Off roading is off roading, Ford markets the Raptor as the ultimate off road truck. If it can't handle Barstow, then what leg does their marketing stand on?

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Off roading is off roading, Ford markets the Raptor as the ultimate off road truck. If it can't handle Barstow, then what leg does their marketing stand on?
Because it wasn't designed to go pound 3 foot whoops. I can certainly drive through there no problem and much better than any other factory truck on the market but it was not designed to excel there.

With UTV's taking a chunk of $$$ out of automotive it would be a logical evolution for car companies to sell higher price race ready vehicles. Especially if they want consumers to stay brand loyal. Drug Dealer Economics 101: If your junkie want's to buy a particular drug, sell it to him and make that money. Last thing you want is your junkie going to another dealer.

Bajated

For the 4WheelParts crowd, I'm sure this will be a nice seller.
For those of us who use our trucks to get to work and then to chase or prerun on the weekends, it works awesome. It's the only long travel suspension system (other than Raptor) that has passed FMVSS testing to make sure that the vehicle safety systems still work. This testing is expensive, but it's an investment in keeping our customers safe.

none of them can say they have a billion dollar investment and a team of engineers behind their development and a warranty backing it all up
Our budget was far short of a Billion dollars, but we do have a team of engineers, we did a lot of durability, strength and safety testing, and we have the best warranty in the industry backing it all up.

Our kit includes details like air injection pump relocation brackets and LED marker lights that no one else has taken the time to develop.

The best part in my view is that we have a tuned system; Most other long travel kits require you to choose your shocks and then live with whatever tune the shock manufacturer has for that kit, essentially making their customers finish the R&D for them.

All the Raptors that I personally know, used for prerun or chase have built, non-factory suspension, at least. Its cool to have a factory warranty rig, but if you start to push it you upgrade. How many Jeep Rubicons never see a trail? How many that do end up with a complete suspension, gear upgrade and 37-40" tires? I think the point is, the Raptor is capable as is the TRD Pro, but with some after market love they a very capable.

BTW I was a driver at Hotel Tacoma (Toyota event last moth in Kingman) and was very impressed with the TRD Pro. I would t give up my 3/4 ton diesel + Carli suspension; but for a small, nimble platform it was very good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
You can't just say I drove a new Tacoma TRD pro and leave it at that. Come on man details! Any travel numbers, is it just a graded road truck or will she work in the sand washes of Baja at a decent pace?

az_amsoil

You can't just say I drove a new Tacoma TRD pro and leave it at that. Come on man details! Any travel numbers, is it just a graded road truck or will she work in the sand washes of Baja at a decent pace?
We didn't have any detailed travel numbers, but we took the trucks on an 1 1/2 hour "guest" ride and drive. It was forest roads with a couple of steep incline/declines (to show off the autocontrol), some sandy areas, water crossing and tight trails. Overall they were solid and rode great. I never felt as if they were working hard at all. Obviously we wanted to push them, but with guests in the trucks with us, it wasn't going to happen. I believe they come stock with bilstein 2.5" res shocks and were 2-3" lifted from the non-TRD Pro trucks. The hill decent feature was cool, but takes some getting used to as you only drive, the vehicle does the throttle and brakes...it's weird not giving that input. We also shuttled guests to/from the Las Vegas airport and they did fine coming up the grade from Lake Mead with good highway ride.

Jerry would be able to give you better stock numbers, he had a couple of built up trucks at the event.i dig up the OD green pic I have...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Our budget was far short of a Billion dollars, but we do have a team of engineers, we did a lot of durability, strength and safety testing, and we have the best warranty in the industry backing it all up.

Our kit includes details like air injection pump relocation brackets and LED marker lights that no one else has taken the time to develop.

The best part in my view is that we have a tuned system; Most other long travel kits require you to choose your shocks and then live with whatever tune the shock manufacturer has for that kit, essentially making their customers finish the R&D for them.
No doubt Ted you guys have done a nice job however you should be the first to acknowledge that what Toyota has put forth is not in the same caliber as the Raptor.