• Forum membership has its advantages....

New Toyota based Pro Comp Raptor killer!

J Prich

I don't know enough about the Toyota yet. But if one were to do long travel front and rear on the Tundra would there be a reason to still get the trd pro performance wise? Does the pro model come with a different motor, transmission, rear end, etc. than the base tundra?
Yeah that's why I say pop in to SDHQ one afternoon/weekend whatever. If you're in Gilbert, they are in your neighborhood. They do a lot of Toyota builds and they have employees that drive current model Tacomas as well. They would be a great source of info and a potential source of parts and work too if you decided to go that route.

JBSTEVENS44

Yeah that's why I say pop in to SDHQ one afternoon/weekend whatever. If you're in Gilbert, they are in your neighborhood. They do a lot of Toyota builds and they have employees that drive current model Tacomas as well. They would be a great source of info and a potential source of parts and work too if you decided to go that route.
I went to sdhq. Got some ideas and a rough cost. Is there anyone else in Az you'd recommend?

dan200

#BSF200
I went to sdhq. Got some ideas and a rough cost. Is there anyone else in Az you'd recommend?
No, he's just going to recommend us over at SDHQ again. Right Jason? LOL

When a new (and worthy) truck comes to market we (SDHQ) buy one, or several. Then we take these perfectly good, brand new trucks and take them apart, cut them in half, shorten them, widen them, make 'em more powerful, faster, stronger, and well, just a lot cooler. The tundra is rad AF so we went and cut a few in half and tricked them out into serious performers that were awesome offroad trucks and fantastic on the street also. I work for SDHQ so I am obviously biased to the place but, when it comes to being experienced with the current line up of Tundras and Tacomas I can't think of single shop nationally, much less locally, that has as much in depth and hands on experience with these trucks. We have made a ton of them. There are bolt on options that can give you a suspension that will smoke this pro comp thing they are selling now.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

J Prich

No, he's just going to recommend us over at SDHQ again. Right Jason? LOL

When a new (and worthy) truck comes to market we (SDHQ) buy one, or several. Then we take these perfectly good, brand new trucks and take them apart, cut them in half, shorten them, widen them, make 'em more powerful, faster, stronger, and well, just a lot cooler. The tundra is rad AF so we went and cut a few in half and tricked them out into serious performers that were awesome offroad trucks and fantastic on the street also. I work for SDHQ so I am obviously biased to the place but, when it comes to being experienced with the current line up of Tundras and Tacomas I can't think of single shop nationally, much less locally, that has as much in depth and hands on experience with these trucks. We have made a ton of them. There are bolt on options that can give you a suspension that will smoke this pro comp thing they are selling now.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
Is there anywhere else in AZ a person could even go? I don't know personally because usually when you find what you're looking for, you stop looking.

dan200

#BSF200
Is there anywhere else in AZ a person could even go? I don't know personally because usually when you find what you're looking for, you stop looking.
There's plenty of places to get a lift kit but when you're seeking out "performance suspension" without sacrificing ride quality, we are the best place. Easily.

A few post back he had mentioned wanting a bed cage. Then he said a he visited the shop and then asked for suggestions for other places. I am going to guess that when his talk with a sales person went from just bolt on stuff to back halfing, and a bed cage and four linking to a built rear end and what not the price got higher to where he wants to shop around. But thats race car stuff.

In reality, we have been able to put a front end kit (Camburg/Total Chaos etc.) combined with a leaf sprung rear and properly tuned shocks and made Tundras you can mob the shiz out of and then drive home like its a stock truck.

Heres a link to one of our many tundra builds.
And a link to the google images for "SDHQ TUNDRA"... sdhq tundra - Google Search

So, to answer your question, there is other places he can go but their "tundra resume" will not be as big as ours. Not even close..

JB Stevens, let me know if you need any help.

d200

JBSTEVENS44

There's plenty of places to get a lift kit but when you're seeking out "performance suspension" without sacrificing ride quality, we are the best place. Easily.

A few post back he had mentioned wanting a bed cage. Then he said a he visited the shop and then asked for suggestions for other places. I am going to guess that when his talk with a sales person went from just bolt on stuff to back halfing, and a bed cage and four linking to a built rear end and what not the price got higher to where he wants to shop around. But thats race car stuff.

In reality, we have been able to put a front end kit (Camburg/Total Chaos etc.) combined with a leaf sprung rear and properly tuned shocks and made Tundras you can mob the shiz out of and then drive home like its a stock truck.

Heres a link to one of our many tundra builds.
And a link to the google images for "SDHQ TUNDRA"... sdhq tundra - Google Search

So, to answer your question, there is other places he can go but their "tundra resume" will not be as big as ours. Not even close..

JB Stevens, let me know if you need any help.

d200

I will. Still researching my options. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and find a clean used one you already did.

mattb

I was told that truck didn't come back in good shape from its video shoot. The guys driving it thrashed it in that video

M4BoomStick

They took an unknown amount of spare parts with them and broke them all during the shoot. Sorry, found this old thread but know about the subject and had to pipe in. I think ProComp would do well if they actually started building quality suspension for common vehicles. They are the biggest off road parts manufacture in the world now ( Polaris bought TMG) and you have small outfits like “Light Racing” building better suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

calstyl2

Pro comp builds their stuff for parking lot warriors, if you are gonna use your junk and abuse it, there is far better product lines for a real working truck.

BigBlue&Goldie

They took an unknown amount of spare parts with them and broke them all during the shoot. Sorry, found this old thread but know about the subject and had to pipe in. I think ProComp would do well if they actually started building quality suspension for common vehicles. They are the biggest off road parts manufacture in the world now ( Polaris bought TMG) and you have small outfits like “Light Racing” building better suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
Wad this the Toyota or F150 "Raptor Killer"? What broke?

Bajated

That is completely untrue - we drove the truck down to Baja, beat the hell out of it, and drive it home without putting a wrench on it. We still have the truck in our R&D center if you want to come see it in person, although we have added fiberglass fenders since the video shoot.

This kit is not designed as a race kit, it is designed for the same customer as the Raptor buyer - someone who drives their vehicle every day on road and wants better off road capability. It performs that task very well.

PaulW

"Raptor killer?"
Fake news or a significant exaggeration for sure
Does it have a 10 Speed automatic with 6 drive modes and a twin turbo motor? HA.

calstyl2

I wouldnt brag too much about that 10 speed transmission, more than a few have grenaded along with transfer cases.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Does the Toyota have a Shimano derailleur like my Sears Free Spirit ten speed? :confused:

Honda48X

Sorry but Toyota is the number one brand in the world for a reason. They make quality vehicles and I should say trucks also.

nimrod

KOOK!
Sporty car guys are always talking about the next car that’ll take on the 911 Porsche, that’s how you know the Porsche 911 is an amazing car, it’s the standard that everyone else is trying to hit.

Now the Raptor has that spot for offroad guys. I’ve owned a Toyota pickup pretty much my whole life, I still have my 2002 Tacoma with 242,000 miles but my Raptor is a whole different thing and it’s amazing at what it does.

I actually got my 2017 Raptor supercab at Team Ford for less than my buddy paid for his TRD Pro Tacoma. Seriously he paid 57k after the dealer markup for a Tacoma. I paid 56k for my Raptor. I’m pretty sure I’m very happy.

If I can buy a stock truck with a warranty with literally hundreds of millions of dollars of engineering behind it, I’m all in.

Last edited:

Honda48X

Sporty car guys are always talking about the next car that’ll take on the 911 Porsche, that’s how you know the Porsche 911 is an amazing car, it’s the standard that everyone else is trying to hit.

Now the Raptor has that spot for offroad guys. I’ve owned a Toyota pickup pretty much my whole life, I still have my 2002 Tacoma with 242,000 miles but my Raptor is a whole different thing and it’s amazing at what it does.

I actually got my 2017 Raptor supercab at Team Ford for less than my buddy paid for his TRD Pro Tacoma. Seriously he paid 57k after the dealer markup for a Tacoma. I paid 56k for my Raptor. I’m pretty sure I’m very happy.

If I can buy a stock truck with a warranty with literally hundreds of millions of dollars of engineering behind it, I’m all in.
Sorry to say this but your buddy got ripped. He paid that much for a Tacoma? I have a 2013 Tundra 4x4 long bed because I haul my bikes and pull a 26 foot trailer. I love my Tundra and it was only 31k new. I love the Raptor but they don’t sell a long bed.