• Forum membership has its advantages....

New Toyota based Pro Comp Raptor killer!

Sorry to say this but your buddy got ripped. He paid that much for a Tacoma? I have a 2013 Tundra 4x4 long bed because I haul my bikes and pull a 26 foot trailer. I love my Tundra and it was only 31k new. I love the Raptor but they don’t sell a long bed.
I’ve never had a tundra but they look awesome. The TRD Pro Tacoma stars at 45k but like with Raptors Toyota dealers are adding huge markups.

Chris

Just bought a '18 tundra last Friday. First Toyota since the '81 4x4 single cab I learned to drive in raising hell in the hills around San Clemente when I was a kid. This tundra rips. Super stoked on it. The 5.7 motor is awesome. Thirsty but awesome. Raptor killer it's not. At least not as it sits right now. But for the money I think it's a great option.

Looking at the camburg and the icon systems. Not sure which direction to go???

TRAVISD

I have a 16 Tundra, with the Camburg UCA and Fox 2.0 with res. Is it a Raptor, no F'n way. But it does hold its own. I ran a couple hundred miles down in Baja on the 1000 course and it did just fine. The biggest thing with the Tundra is the tire size that you can fit under it. I have 33's and they rub at full lock. I dont see how you can get a 35 under it without major mods. However for the price, you cant beat it.

23754836_10214441505942609_4995678311109814083_n.jpg

I have a 16 Tundra, with the Camburg UCA and Fox 2.0 with res. Is it a Raptor, no F'n way. But it does hold its own. I ran a couple hundred miles down in Baja on the 1000 course and it did just fine. The biggest thing with the Tundra is the tire size that you can fit under it. I have 33's and they rub at full lock. I dont see how you can get a 35 under it without major mods. However for the price, you cant beat it.

View attachment 187358
Ya gotta trim the body mounts. We have done it so many times we ran a production run of the plate you need to fill the part ya cut off and box it back up. This way you can run 35's.

We've don3 37's also but it was a much more involved build. Fiberglass, new fender wells, and some chopping and welding. Pretty bad ass when its done though...

fell free to talk to anyone at our sales counter if ya want to know more- SDHQ (480) 633-2929

Link to build for the truck with 37's =========>> The Ultimate Tundra Build by SDHQ - SDHQ Off Road

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
If you run the proper wheel and align for max caster (easiest with an adjustable UCA) you can run a 35 without hacking up the body mount. ICON Alloys makes a specific to the tundra 17" wheel for this exact reason, nobody wants to chop up their frame.

ICON also makes a 3.0 internal bumpstop coilover for the tundra and a secondary for the tundra as well as complete rear leaf pack due to hit stores any day now that are end user spring rate/height tunable, multiple rear shock options, and air bumps...a one stop shop per se. SDHQ stocks it and installs it all.

The downfall of the tundra when comparing to a raptor is no rear locker from factory option, no good bypass of the stability electronics for really being able to give the thing the business, and a very stiff front sway bar. The motor mounts could use the stock full cheater trick of filling with silicone but that increases NVH but so could the raptor.

I have a over 1000 testing dirt miles in a tundra developing suspension, at or exceeding 100% of the trucks capabilities and ive learned a thing or two about what holds up and what doesnt. The truck had 35s and 2.75" of height over stock and nothing other than the skid plate was trimmed for full lock clearance.

Id put the truck i tested against the OP truck all day long and I would say it would run just fine with a stock raptor as well gen1 or gen2.

TRAVISD

If you run the proper wheel and align for max caster (easiest with an adjustable UCA) you can run a 35 without hacking up the body mount. ICON Alloys makes a specific to the tundra 17" wheel for this exact reason, nobody wants to chop up their frame.

ICON also makes a 3.0 internal bumpstop coilover for the tundra and a secondary for the tundra as well as complete rear leaf pack due to hit stores any day now that are end user spring rate/height tunable, multiple rear shock options, and air bumps...a one stop shop per se. SDHQ stocks it and installs it all.

The downfall of the tundra when comparing to a raptor is no rear locker from factory option, no good bypass of the stability electronics for really being able to give the thing the business, and a very stiff front sway bar. The motor mounts could use the stock full cheater trick of filling with silicone but that increases NVH but so could the raptor.

I have a over 1000 testing dirt miles in a tundra developing suspension, at or exceeding 100% of the trucks capabilities and ive learned a thing or two about what holds up and what doesnt. The truck had 35s and 2.75" of height over stock and nothing other than the skid plate was trimmed for full lock clearance.

Id put the truck i tested against the OP truck all day long and I would say it would run just fine with a stock raptor as well gen1 or gen2.

Is this wheel a special order? Do not see anything on their website.

The Tundra with a locker would be the cats meow. I did get stuck in a couple of silt sections cause of the lack of one. I put it in 4x4 and it climbed out, but with the locker I would never have gotten stuck.

motoxscott

Since we're on the discussion of stock width trucks, the key to fitting a larger than 33" tire on the Tundra is using the correct offset wheel. Both KMC and Method offer wheels that have a positive offset of 5.75-6" of backspacing that give you the room needed so most times you dont need to trim the body mount. The variable is tires, they all run different in sizing and tread design. I just put 35" General X3's (which is a big aggressive tire) on my 2017's and they fit awesome. Didn't put a ton of lift in it either, installed FOX coilovers as they were out of the box. I did trim the body mount a little even before installing them, might have cleared without trimming. When you run a zero offset wheel with say 4.75" of backspacing you lose a lot of that room. You can also run a metric sized tire 285/75/17 that's a little narrower as well if you want zero rubbing or dont want to modify the body mount.

tundra1.jpg
tundra2.jpg tundra4.jpg

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
in an 18, several wheels are available with good backspace as shown above by Scott

Running a 17" wheel leads to cheaper tires, more cushion, and who runs 18's offroad? Cmon Scott!

Options in 17s are slim...Tundra TRD forged wheel is a killer option but hard to come by and expensive and will not fit some peoples arms out there.

motoxscott

KMC has a few 17" wheels with the correct offset. Method doesnt to my understanding. With the 17" wheel you also have to make sure the tire shop puts the wheel weights in a location that doesn't hit the caliper since it's super close to the inside of the wheel. You know how many times we've picked up a truck from the tire shop that had 17s and the weights came off in their parking lot lol.