New TROPHYLITE build... Laser Cut tubes

GregFoutz

Reaction
I thought you guys might like to see the advances we have made on the TROPHYLITE stuff over the last 4 months. We have the entier truck all done in 3D modeling now so we can laser cut the tubes and have it all CNC bent. We have the tooling done and we are doing the first ones from the laser cutter now..... So nice....

Attachments

GregFoutz

Reaction
Here are a bunch of the CAD work images too....

Attachments

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Look's great Greg. Keep up the upgrades on a fun class of cars. This should help to keep the cost's down on the new cars.

Would buy one but I like Buggy's first. :D

1fastbean

Rookie
Reaction
Nice! Please keep us posted on the progress. We've all seen your handy work on the Raptor project on such a tight deadline. This little beast will surely perform flawlessly to it's intended ability.

Mcarlson1

Reaction
About how long does it take to build it from cutting the tubes to finish? Is this supposed to bring costs down on the initial truck or just to make things easier?

Thanks,
Mike

GregFoutz

Reaction
About how long does it take to build it from cutting the tubes to finish? Is this supposed to bring costs down on the initial truck or just to make things easier?

Thanks,
Mike
Yea the laser cut tubes make the build process much faster and with it being faster keeps the cost down. The problem is it costs lots of money to do all of teh CAD work and get the laser cutting stuff set up right... If you are doing more then about 5 or 6 of the SAME chassis this makes sense. If you are not doing that many it would likely cost more then just doing them manually.... Overall you get better quality control, better fit everytime, more repeatable and faster with the laser cutting and propper tooling to hold it all..... Hope that helps....

Chase 2

Reaction
more repeatable
Careful! Mistakes are often mass produced too!

Going from prototype to mass production is a giant leap that many don't understand and few get it right.

All that being said, your stuff looks good!

GregFoutz

Reaction
Careful! Mistakes are often mass produced too!

Going from prototype to mass production is a giant leap that many don't understand and few get it right.

All that being said, your stuff looks good!
No doubt... We have the first one done now and final welded on Friday. We had one full chassis done first to verify everything. We found a couple of the tube notches that we had to adjust. Mostly where multiple tubes intersect we had to add a notch to a tube that I missed in the first round in the CAD files. Everything else went very smooth... I guess the best I can say is if you spend the time on the CAD work upfront the assembly and final should be smoother....

JGOLDEN

Reaction
Other than the in tubing size for the cage, are there any other changes for new CAD trucks?

thanks

GregFoutz

Reaction
Other than the in tubing size for the cage, are there any other changes for new CAD trucks?

thanks
We did the manditory SCORE upper cage stuff but all of the suspension parts, piviot points, and all that are exactly the same. No changes that would provide any advantage or anything like that. Mostly we did this to make the builds faster and more efficient overall.

OldGreen

Reaction
Maybe I missed this, but did you guys generate the files in-house or did you have someone else do it?

GregFoutz

Reaction
Maybe I missed this, but did you guys generate the files in-house or did you have someone else do it?
We did all of the CAD work in house 100%.... Full ground up CAD work on the TROPHYLITE. When they were building them before they did everything by hand and had no real blueprints. We did the CAD work and then built new tooling to build the trucks in to make it faster and more consistent with the new laser cut tube work. We have been doing lots of CAD work for our own stuff and for external customers too.... Hope that answered your question...

Thanks

OldGreen

Reaction
Yessir.. .and that would be the way to do it. Nice.

JRod

fast-aid.org
Reaction
Thanks for the tour of the shop today Greg & Mike ..... and take it from a first-hand independent witness, the new laser cut truck looks awesome and there are more tubes ready to be put together for you.... so STIMULATE THE OFF-ROAD ECONOMY AND ORDER YOUR NEW Trophy-Lite TRUCK ALREADY!!!