new truck

84toy

Reaction
This summer I will be purchasing a brand new truck of the lot. It will be 4x4 and fullsize. Don't due much towing and it's going to stay stock the first couple years, but who knows after that. I already have my opions on what I should get but I just wanted to hear some of yours. Thanks

Jason

JOSH

Reaction
I am going to Buy a New truck as well, However, i will use it for towing. After looking into it i'm going with the Chevy 2500HD with the big DuraMax And Allason GearBox. They are really nice trucks. My uncle just got one with the 8100 Gasoline motor and said its the best truck he has ever had.

Gabe Lara

Reaction
Jason,

I purchased a Silverado 2500 4x4 X-cab when they first came out in '99.
I have been nothing but happy with this truck, and have had ZERO problems with it, and could easily recommend a Chevy if that fits your tastes.

Do your reasearch, check insurance, and best of all, test drive ALL models so you know whats up.

-Gabe

BradM

Reaction
Super Duty with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel and 6 speed manual. It'll haul the hay for many many years.

I have had two chevy trucks (in my family) in the last two years with less than 20k miles and both had sticky valves due to too tight of tolerances in the valve guides. Both had 5.7 gas engines. One got new heads from chevrolet and one got a valve job with the guides reamed and new seals. It really sucks to have your new truck at the dealer all the time. One of the afore mentioned trucks was at the dealer 10 times in the first 20k miles. They changed the injectors, the computer, the wiring, and the exhaust before someone in detroit suggested the heads. I guess it was one of the first occurances of this problem but I now hear that it is very common (2-4 trucks a week at the local dealers). All the while, they refused to replace the truck. When asked about the "lemon law" we were told that no action would be taken without a lawyer involved. Needless to say, no more GM products for our family. Cuspomer service from the factory just sucked and the dealers seemed to be in the dark.

just my .02

BeastlyFord

Reaction
Hey Jason,

I'd go with a Z-71 if its gonna be stock but I know that you are a 'yota guy so get the Tundra and try to get Sloppy to convince Matt and Nicole to make a Total Chaos kit for it.

Ryno

Reaction
If you do buy a chevy...but at least a 2500, if not an HD. The 1/2 tons have bad frame flex, and the 10 bolt rear end is garbage. For bang per buck...get what you originally said. My boss has a 2500hd crewcab, and loves it. His wife even loves it!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

poolman

Reaction
I bought a Super duty Crew Cab Xl stripper model,It was affordable got the V-10 and auto.I put my own stuff on it and its the [censored]! Good basic trans,solid axles,strong engine.Order your next truck and you will save tons of money.Also shop,shop shop!Use the internet and get the dealers haggling among themselves.Use them against each other.You will get a better deal!JMHO,poolman

Pigs get Fat...Hogs get Slaughtered

SDranger

Reaction
Jason! A new truck!? Does this mean the beater will be a full on dezert beast? You know that i have to recommend the Ford, but seriously i think all the new fullsizes are pretty nice. Just dont buy a dodge :p

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

ntsqd

Reaction
We've got a deal going on right now with a DuraMax/Allison powered Extended cab 4wd 2500. On most old concrete streets and fwys it gets a nasty cab oscillation from frame flex. Washboards appearently don't bother it. From what I've seen the Xcabs are the worst for this, the stds and crews have enough of a different WB that it isn't a problem. I have a possible solution thot out, but the truck is in Mexico for the next 4 weeks so testing will have to wait until then.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Fullsize and 4WD? Do they even make such a thing? Just Kidding.
Get a Tundra, your parents are paying for it right? Tundra 4WD Long Travel is almost done. I'm working on the axles for it. 300M of course with 930 CV's, Chromoly Cages and possibly new spindles. By the time you get the truck the kit will be done.

America makes good parts but horrible trucks. (Example, Chevy S-10)

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Have you ever heard or done something similar to what you are talking about on a full size ford 4x4. I know the suspension design is different than the toyota, but I think it could work. Ever built axles for it?

See ya in the dirt!

Ryno

Reaction
As for your problem, I have a 94 K1500 ext cab, 6' bed...on asphalt...I'm fine...on the joined concrete fwys...the bed bounces around like a pogo stick. Seems if I go 65 it's not bad, at 90, it's okay...but at 75 I need a trip to the chiropractor. Truck is stock, 285 tires. I have heard and seen alot about this...and have seen the BFG velvet ride shackle spacer. My friend says they work well. Lemme know what you guys come up with.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.