• Forum membership has its advantages....

New Vintage Class for the Mint 400

Rory

Crayola Killer
Rumor has it that it's vehicles 1992 and lower which makes the DirTrix eligible to race! Vintage classes starting to make a presence in other series now, not just NORRA. The NORRA Mexican 1000 is still my favorite race but I like the idea of being able to race my vehicles more than once a year. In case anyone was wondering, the DirTrix is still FOR SALE and RACE READY, come and get it just in time for the MINT 400 and then prep it again for NORRA!

DSC_0173 (640x426).jpg

DSC_0203 (640x426).jpg

Rory

Crayola Killer
From what I've heard, all class vehicles from the year 1992 and earlier are eligible. I'm not the final word on this, you'll have to talk to Matt Martelli and the people from the MINT 400 for sure, I'm just stating what I've heard.... Nothing official by any means. Norm Francis might have more on this (Retro Francis).

TRichards

I talked to Norm. We are going to enter in the open vintage class. 7100 wont let me race with them.

Here are the rules for the new class!

Best in The Desert

2016 Vintage Class Rules

Class Number: #4500 - #4549 All cars must be 1982 and older. The idea of this class is to maintain the original builds. There are exceptions to the above rules If your car was originally raced with equipment other than stated in the rules and can be proven, exceptions will be made.

BUGGIES
Max wheel base of 110 in

SUSPENSION
Front beam 6 in over max. Front trailing arms 2 1/2 in over max.. Any spindle OK. Rear trailing arms are limited to 3x3 max. CV’s can be 930s. Any torsion bars allowed but no secondary torsions or secondary suspension of any kind. No air bump stops of any kind.

SHOCKS
NO COIL- OVER OR BI- BASS SHOCKS ALLOWED PERIOD.
Unless the car was originally raced with coil overs I.E. Micky Thompson Challenger IV.... ENGINE.. Type 1 VW air cooled max 3.0 liter.

TRANS
Any VW trans allowed Type 1- 2 or 4. No Mendiola or Hewland boxes allowed

TIRES
Max tire size 35 in.

BRAKES
Disc brakes allowed.

TRUCKS - HEAVY METAL
Includes class 3,4,6,7,8. Must be 82 and older race cars.

SUSPENSION
Must be era correct as the rules applied prior to 83. If it was raced as a leaf spring car it must have leaf springs, If it had A- arms and coils it must so have.

SHOCKS
ONE (1) Bi-pass shock per wheel of 2.5 max my be used.( If you use a Bi-pass you are limited to ONE (1) shock per wheel. If you use conventional shocks you can use any number of shocks per wheel. NO COIL OVER SHOCKS ALLOWED.

ENGINE
Must use original manufacture motor.. I.E. AMC must use AMC engine.. FORD must use FORD and so on... No Modern Engines allowed.. (LS1s and so forth) No Fuel Injection of any kind.

TRANS
Must be of OEM type.

TIRES
Max tire size 35 in. AII VEHICLES.. Must meet or surpass BITD safety equipment rules for both cars and drivers. ALL CARS

SAFETY
MUST HAVE A BLUE LIGHT ON THE REAR OF THE CAR.. All cars must meet or surpass the BITD safety equipment rules for both car and drivers.

Best in The Desert
2016 Vintage Class Rules

OPEN VINTAGE (Mint 400 Only)
Class Number: #4550 - #4599

Any car that was built and raced prior to 1993 is allowed to race in this class. The idea of this class is to open the rules up and allow more vintage style cars to race even if they have been modified from their original build. This is a OPEN class Meaning just that. All cars must meet or surpass the BITD safety equipment rules for both car and drivers.

SAFETY
MUST HAVE A BLUE LIGHT ON THE REAR OF THE CAR.. All cars must meet or surpass the BITD safety equipment rules for both car and drivers.

If there are any questions feel free to contact class steward

Norm Francis
Ph: 951-233-3825
E-mail: [email protected]

Attachments

CaptinCrash

Bummer the landshark doesn't fit in that category Riley and I were going to race it

Tucker Conroy
These are my opinions and mine alone

Retro Francis

Here are the rules for the new class!

Best in The Desert

2016 Vintage Class Rules

Class Number: #4500 - #4549 All cars must be 1982 and older. The idea of this class is to maintain the original builds. There are exceptions to the above rules If your car was originally raced with equipment other than stated in the rules and can be proven, exceptions will be made.

BUGGIES
Max wheel base of 110 in

SUSPENSION
Front beam 6 in over max. Front trailing arms 2 1/2 in over max.. Any spindle OK. Rear trailing arms are limited to 3x3 max. CV’s can be 930s. Any torsion bars allowed but no secondary torsions or secondary suspension of any kind. No air bump stops of any kind.

SHOCKS
NO COIL- OVER OR BI- BASS SHOCKS ALLOWED PERIOD.
Unless the car was originally raced with coil overs I.E. Micky Thompson Challenger IV.... ENGINE.. Type 1 VW air cooled max 3.0 liter.

TRANS
Any VW trans allowed Type 1- 2 or 4. No Mendiola or Hewland boxes allowed

TIRES
Max tire size 35 in.

BRAKES
Disc brakes allowed.

TRUCKS - HEAVY METAL
Includes class 3,4,6,7,8. Must be 82 and older race cars.

SUSPENSION
Must be era correct as the rules applied prior to 83. If it was raced as a leaf spring car it must have leaf springs, If it had A- arms and coils it must so have.

SHOCKS
ONE (1) Bi-pass shock per wheel of 2.5 max my be used.( If you use a Bi-pass you are limited to ONE (1) shock per wheel. If you use conventional shocks you can use any number of shocks per wheel. NO COIL OVER SHOCKS ALLOWED.

ENGINE
Must use original manufacture motor.. I.E. AMC must use AMC engine.. FORD must use FORD and so on... No Modern Engines allowed.. (LS1s and so forth) No Fuel Injection of any kind.

TRANS
Must be of OEM type.

TIRES
Max tire size 35 in. AII VEHICLES.. Must meet or surpass BITD safety equipment rules for both cars and drivers. ALL CARS

SAFETY

Best in The Desert
2016 Vintage Class Rules

OPEN VINTAGE (Mint 400 Only)
Class Number: #4550 - #4599

Any car that was built and raced prior to 1993 is allowed to race in this class. The idea of this class is to open the rules up and allow more vintage style cars to race even if they have been modified from their original build. This is a OPEN class Meaning just that. All cars must meet or surpass the BITD safety equipment rules for both car and drivers.

SAFETY

If there are any questions feel free to contact class steward

Norm Francis
Ph: 951-233-3825
E-mail: [email protected]
One rule that was omitted NO TROPHY (TRICK } TYPE TRUCKS.

Retro Francis

I have been getting a lot of phone calls about the Mint vintage classes. There is a great response to both class. As of this morning it looks like( 9) 82 and down Vintage cars and (4) Open cars. Keep em coming but get your entries in quick as the max entry count will fill up fast.

Mike Coleman

You say no Trophy / Trick trucks. What about a class 8 that raced in Trophy class at one time? I will not be running this year but I would like to run Roseanne next year!

Phil Johnson

I bought the blue car 2 years ago. it was built and raced in soda in the late eighties. I run it in endurance races here in the midwest. The yellow car is and old chenowth 1000 and is just a roller. My question would the blue car be open vintage legal and the yellow one vintage legal. Niether has been raced in the desert but we would love to try it sometime.

Retro Francis

Phil, By the photos it looks like Chenowth would fit perfectly in the Vintage 82 down class, The blue car looks late 80s early 90s? so it would be in the OPEN Vintage class. It would be great to have you race with us.

Phil Johnson

Im an old school buggy and truck fan. been dreaming of trying the desert since i was a kid.Cancer knocked me down before i had a chance to try it. now my kids are grown and i have grandkids starting to race (dirtbikes) Its time to try and finish my dream. The vintage classes are where i can fit with my old school cars i love.

Bro_Gill

That Chenowth 1000 would be a perfect fit for very old buggy! There are plenty of old cars you could recreate with that. The Ivan Stewart Commander car would be a great one to copy. The Pepperell car was another beauty. I bet Jeff Furrier has plenty of pics of old Chenowths to pic from. Just don't copy his!