• Forum membership has its advantages....

New XX and noob owner- where to mount PCI air?

DGruper

My OCD is WFO right now...seems to me the unit should be mounted vertically, centered, and out of the way, without taking up bed space where my spare sits.
The XX cage doesn’t have a lower horizontal crossbar between the two rear, vertically, angled intrusion bars which would be a perfect place. I’ve searched the interweb and no one makes a clamp-on bar to bridge the gap,
I would appreciate hearing/seeing where you mounted your pumper unit on a XX.
Thanks!
Dave

jon coleman

i would tell you, but engineering scale is about 200$ an hour, thats one of the joys of off roading, You get to come up with a b chen way to do it no one else thought of;)

DGruper

Thanks Jon.
I’m already a mechanical engineer, thus the OCD part...but I also know my own limitations when it comes to fabrication. I’ve already designed a piece that would work, but why reinvent something if there is already a good solution? Just asking...

jon coleman

post pics of unit& areas of potential areas to mount, but im sure theres allready a trick way to do it , ocd is a bi ch , best place to quell it is contingency at bk1, bring camera and you'll get ideas to last an eternity

Total Loss

That's River Rat in Bullhead...I recognize that spot.
Whats wrong with the C-pillar kicker bar? Too long a reach for the passenger hose?
Doesn't have to be vertical...if you mount it in the center you reduce rear visibility if you run a center mirror as I do.

43mod

central curved mirror for sure. 2 is better. My issue was reaching speed control knob. Will be mounting one today , somewhere. On race car i put it under the dash and used a -4 jic hose to extend the control knob out through the dash. Worked really well.
Too hot under dash w front radiator i suspect along w no room

DGruper

Total Loss knows his geography.
OK, so here’s how the morning has gone.
I’ve already spoken with Rocky Mt and PCI. No one had a really good response. So I contacted a local Offroad fab guy that I knew has a XX. I didnt get the words out before he was saying, “...bolt on cross bar? Yup, I know exactly what you need.”
He will fab one up and powder coat it. Once I get it, I’ll mount it up, take pics, and then mount the pumper unit, and take more pics. So stay tuned!

jon coleman

wind n sea , lajolla, yeah!!, i seen a movie once where dude learned to' surf' in AZ wave pool, then went to the north shore and controlled the peak, i was impressed!!

DGruper

Not going with the variable speed switch. New fabricated bolt on bar coming. Will post pics when I get it.