New Yamaha YZF450 quad

dunerking

Reaction
Just got done reading a article about Yamaha releasing a YZF450 Quad.I can only hope that this is true.From what I read is that it will be pretty trick(suspension and motor).If Yamaha really does release this thing my questions is how long will it be before Honda steps up with something more than the 400ex?

JeffS

Reaction
Ohhhhh BABY !!!!

There goes my debt to income ratio !!

sirhk100

Reaction
I havn't seen specs on it... Does it use the same 4 speed transmission that the YZF450 is? That's the MAIN reason I bought the CRF over the YZF. I can't imagine it only running a 4 speed on a quad. It does look bitchin though!!! Here's a link to Dubach and Nelson testing it at the track...

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/photos/0,13157,,00.html

Hmmm, looks like you gotta copy/paste that for it to work...

2nd section down is the video...

Hit the one 2 below that quad video of Bubba practicing. That's fresh off a broken collar bone at the Elsinore Vet track. He's friggin mind blowing to watch ride!!!!!!

Khris

empire231

Reaction
that's gonna weigh a couple of pounds. honda is always gonna be a step back behind yamaha. the one thing that i could recall that honda did before the rest is the alluminum frame.

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, but for them I think they waited to see what the YZF did when it came out in '98. Waited to see what the public's reaction would be. Then released a bike that addressed all the issues the YZ riders had. I'll be there's a CFR450 quad in Honda's Stable... They're just waiting to see how this quad is accepted in the publics eye...

Khris

empire231

Reaction
yeah thats true. i hear that suzuki/kawasaki is gonna be working on a 4 stroke bike. those crf's are sweet, they're supposed to be coming out w/ the crf250 in 04, now thats gonna be a nice track bike.

dunerking

Reaction
It sounded like it was going to have a 5 speed transmission....NICE!$6899,Not a horrible price,but still trying to get this money tree to grow.Looks like I'll have to wait until next year.

Kbach66

Reaction
Yeah, the Kawazuki 250 four strokes are going to be out in '04. There's some pictures floating around the web, and I think Transworld or Racer X has a few of them on thier website and they're probably even on kawi/suzukis website by now. I got to see the bikes race at one of the Japan national races and wasn't very impressed. They look like the typical kawis/suzukis....unrefined. The CRF250's will be out later this year. Both the motocross (late november) and the offroad version (mid december) will be available. For anyone looking for a 250 four stroke machine, I'd suggest they wait 'til the hondas are out...they're pretty damn good.

As for the 450 quad....lots of GNCC racers have been doing the conversion of a CRF motor in the 400ex chassis and the results have been pretty good. You'll just have to wait and see if Honda has one "in the stable" as Khris mentioned

motoxscott

Reaction
Here's the KX/RM 250 four-stroke bike ....... You can't go wrong with a Yamaha or Honda.

UndercoverFab

Reaction
i thought kawasaki already came out with a new quad? they had some 700cc dune beast in an issue of dirt wheels a little while back, as far as the yamaha a dealer here told me it was a 5 speed with no reverse and electric start, sign me up for one!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
For sale 1988 Honda 250 with custom arms etc....$4500
Wanted 2004 Yamaha YFZ 450

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
The new Quad probibly has the WR 5sp transmission. Hopefully they didn't cheese out and add all that crap like reverse and counter balancers for the sissy crowd.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
The new issue of ATV action, mabey last months, has the first kawasakii 440 quad that we made in it, and that bike is very fast.
I have seen that people are asking more and more to put the 450f motor in the 400ex frames, and i have seen the 450's put in 400ex's but they work well cause of geometry problems relating to the swing arm mounting point. Honda is supposed to drop a big dog quad here soon!

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Last I heard from a test rider is that Honda is going to make the 1989 250 quad with a 450 motor. Now this would just be a dream, but how cool would it be. This would be the smartest thing Honda could do.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
That is what we have been doing for years. We make the late 80's 250R chassis most of them have the 450f motor in them. This racer the other day wanted to know if we made the 400ex with the 450 motor swap, told him no and that if he was going to shell out $12-15 G's for a bike that he should get the 250r with the 450 in it mainly because the 250r geometry is superiror to anything else, we actually incorperate the 250r geometry into the banshee chassis.

dunerking

Reaction
That Kawi thing looks pretty silly.I wouldn't even let my 62 year old dad,that just had his second 4-way heart bypass surgery throw his leg over that Kawi beast.But,that 450 Yamaha would be a different story.