newbie questions

LAAZ5

Reaction
Hi,
Im 16 years old and im wanting to build a street legal, daily driver prerunner. I am looking at either a 91 bronco or a ranger 90s-2000's. I have a budget of about 11 grand and I might be able to get the ranger for free. any ideas of quality budget parts and any links to people installing cause I don't have a single clue about off-roading but my grandpas friend took me in a ride in his pre runner and it was the best thing for me. Trying to learn as much as I can and I wanna do all the work myself, no shops. I would like to be able to use the truck bed if I get the ranger.
Thank you so much

LAAZ5

Reaction
Why do people have shocks going through their truck bed? ( linked photo)
Why do trucks have leaf springs and shocks?
Why do trucks have springs and shocks?
Do I need a bypass?
Whats the difference between a strut, coil over, and shock?
With would be the best and cheapest for a budget build?

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Why do people have shocks going through their truck bed? ( linked photo)
Do I need a bypass?
Why do people have shocks going through their truck bed?
To fit bigger shocks.

Most trucks have leaf springs in the rear suspension from factory.

Most trucks have coil springs in the front suspension from factory.

Do I need a bypass?
No, a bypass is a special kind of shock.

A strut is a special type of shock. (It is a shock with coil spring) (Usually refers to factory part)
A coil-over is a special type of shock. (It is a shock with a coil spring) (Usually refers to aftermarket part)
A shock is a shock.

Ford Ranger is a good option.

Bricoop

Reaction
Welcome-You're taking on a massive project, good for you. You even have a budget, you're ahead of the game. I'd continue reading here and on other forums (especially ranger forums). People have been modifying rangers for over 30 years so there's a lot of information out there of what works and what doesn't. If I were you I'd read as much as possible and take notes. Using those notes put together your plan, specifically parts and budget. You'll find people are quite willing to help you out. The more details you've worked out, the better.

I'd recommend you post your questions here:

J Prich

Reaction
Hi,
Im 16 years old and im wanting to build a street legal, daily driver prerunner. I am looking at either a 91 bronco or a ranger 90s-2000's. I have a budget of about 11 grand and I might be able to get the ranger for free. any ideas of quality budget parts and any links to people installing cause I don't have a single clue about off-roading but my grandpas friend took me in a ride in his pre runner and it was the best thing for me. Trying to learn as much as I can and I wanna do all the work myself, no shops. I would like to be able to use the truck bed if I get the ranger.
Thank you so much
Where do you live? Based on your questions I assume you don't have a lot of experience. If you can find someone or some people local to you...a good fab shop, etc, that would be a great source of info for you. Not that the internet isn't but...it's the internet.

LAAZ5

Reaction
Where do you live? Based on your questions I assume you don't have a lot of experience. If you can find someone or some people local to you...a good fab shop, etc, that would be a great source of info for you. Not that the internet isn't but...it's the internet.
Im in Los Angeles, we have a place out in Blythe where I would drive, not to big of a scene here.

LAAZ5

Reaction
Welcome-You're taking on a massive project, good for you. You even have a budget, you're ahead of the game. I'd continue reading here and on other forums (especially ranger forums). People have been modifying rangers for over 30 years so there's a lot of information out there of what works and what doesn't. If I were you I'd read as much as possible and take notes. Using those notes put together your plan, specifically parts and budget. You'll find people are quite willing to help you out. The more details you've worked out, the better.

I'd recommend you post your questions here:
Thanks a lot, yeah I've started to look on ranger forums.

92OCHO

Reaction
Check out Autofab / Solo Motor Sports in Covina
Autofab in San Diego..... no relationship to me just great stuff and they have been around forever
looks to fit in your budget (sort of) you will soon learn the budget aspect ..... but it is worth it
great bronco and ranger parts...

43mod

Reaction
Not kidding here . Find a vehicle you can drive around a bit . Take the front shocks off the vehicle and drive it a bit . You will now vividly see the effect shocks have on springs . and vehicle . Springs support weight , shocks control springs . Then you get into offroad and it gets complicated

jon coleman

Reaction
shocks control this

Attachments

• tumblr_n0hhj6Eq2a1syggjmo1_500.gif
    tumblr_n0hhj6Eq2a1syggjmo1_500.gif
    890 KB · Views: 3