Newhan Pre runner

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
The skunkz workz pictures for the red chevrolet prerunner built by Newhan are up. What do you guys think ?

We shot the pictures last summer but never posted them.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://race-dezert.com/skunkz/newhan/index.html>CLICK HERE !</A>

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
After riding with Mark in that truck over thanksgiving weekend I would have to say it's probably the fastest and cleanest prerunner I have seen. Mark does excellent work! And he is a great driver also... The silver Chevy he sold is about the same as far as quality also.

Curtis

84toy

Reaction
That thing is pretty sweat. I like how clean it looks

One question, what am I looking at in the attached picture?

Jason

Attachments

ntsqd

Reaction
ToddZ & I saw that truck @ Primm last year. Very nice and very clean. Not sure of the cause, but it had a slight coolant leak when we saw it. He seemed embarrassed by the leak. I thot it a small teething pain in a new truck.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Jason,
That thing is a gear box for the steering input shaft. These can be made to different specifications. Some reverse the pointing direction of of the shaft (like this one), some change the rotational direction, and some (most) change the rotational speed. Most OEM type steering boxes, even when modified, don't turn fast enough for racing so it is very common to speed up the input shaft with some sort of gear box. All of them decrease the steering "feel". They are rarely used with rack-and-pinion systems.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

martininsocal

Reaction
I have a question about the rear lower link arms. I have seen these arms on other trucks and truggies. are these something that someone fabs and sells as a premade unit? just curios, I believe these same arms were on the Stewart Truggy. Are they custom, or is someone sellingthem out of a jig?

martin

PS- isn't that originally Don Hatz's prerunner? it was clean when he had it, simple, yet effective. Newhan got it back and updated suspension with coilovers in front and 4 linked the rear.

If your gonna go, go BIG

DougM

Reaction
Martin,
that was Don Hatz old blue preruner. Mark bought it back,re-did to current specs, OFFROAD MAG ran an article about it a year or so ago.
Its a nice truck, although his old silver X-cab Chevy was nicer.
Mark owns Bullseye Industries in El Cajon and makes all the lift spindles for ProComp and Fabtech.

The pics were shot at Stewarts Raceworks.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
If I remember correctly from talking to Mark about it about a year or two ago those lower rear links were originally designed by Craig Stewart, but I am sure Mark made these for this truck. Mark and Craig are very good friends. I am not sure if Craig makes them and sells them separate or if he just makes them for projects he builds.

Raceworks

Reaction
Actually Jon Nelson already built arms like those years ago on "Arnold" the mid engine truck that Ragland won all those races in. Mark and I agree they are the best design for several reasons, Strength vs. weight, Ground clearance, Ease of building, and of coarse cost. Yes, Raceworks would like to build you some also. Just figure out the length you want and were you want the shock mounts. Don't forget that you have to put delrin bushing in the shock ends to keep the arms from rolling. Give me a call at work. 449-9728

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
The reason we took a pic of the steering reverser is because it goes back under the cab to the steering box, Its all mounted under the cab.