Nic Granlund injured @ ITP Quadcorss

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Fellow racer and friend Nic Granlund was seriously injured at the Quadcross event. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers. If you can help, an account has been set up below. He does have a very young child as well.
Press Release: For Immediate Release
ATV Pro Nic Granlund Suffers Serious Injury at ITP/Yamaha QuadCross Event
San Bernardino, CA – Nic Granlund participated in the May 24th ITP QuadCross Championship Series at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, CA. On the first lap of the Open Pro ATV Class second moto he crashed and sustained a debilitating injury. A fund has been set up at Wells Fargo Bank for donations to support Nic’s recovery.
The track had been used the day before for the AMA Motocross Nationals. Nic started the day with a solid race and finished sixth in the first Moto. In the main event, Nic came off the line strong and was among the first few racers into the first turn. As Nic railed the first turn, another quad bumped him sending him and his quad over the berm and off the track. He was able to recover, but several quads passed by as he maneuvered back onto the race track. Nic Granlund has always been known as an aggressive rider and, once back on the track, he pinned it as he gunned down the rider in front of him. He did not lift off the throttle as he approached a 65-foot step-up. Nic launched off the face of the jump and suddenly the quad stalled and dropped out of the air leaving Nic in a 15 foot freefall. Nic landed on the downside of the jump without his quad and shattered his femur and hip joint into more than 35 pieces.
Nic spent eleven days at Arrowhead Trauma Center in Colton, CA after a five-hour reconstructive surgery of the hip that Dr. Hopkins said was the worst hip trauma that he had seen in his 10 years as an orthopedic surgeon. The doctors had to insert a two-foot titanium rod into the center of Nic’s femur and then secure the rod with a 4” screw just above the kneecap. Two large bolts were installed to connect the rod to a newly rebuilt hip. The surgeon commented that Nic’s muscles were so strong that they bent medical tools while working on him. The prognosis is promising, though Nic faces a long road to recovery. He is residing in San Jose, CA the first 6 weeks of recovery. He plans to return to Las Vegas as soon as possible and will begin physical therapy at that point. Nic knows it will be tough - but he’s confident that he will overcome this challenge with the support of family, close friends, and the racing community.“I am not ready to announce my retirement, but I will be out of the garage and off the track for a long period of time according to the doctor,” said Nic. “Everyone’s support has been overwhelming; it goes to show what a tight group of racers are out there every weekend.”
There have been many calls and messages from racers, friends, and fans around the country wanting to know how they can help Nic. In response to this outpouring of support, a fund has been established in Nic Granlund’s name through Wells Fargo Bank (Acct. 6478349860). You can contribute to the fund by either transferring funds from an existing Wells Fargo account or by visiting a local branch location. Or, you can send a check to Niclas Granlund c/o Maria Werth, PO Box 18755, San Jose, CA 95158.

Nic Granlund would like to thank his Sponsors:
NGR, Lonestar, Fox Shox, SWICK, Skat Trak, TORCO, DWT, CTRacing, Quad Tech, Fasst, Precision, Hinson, Triumph, ITI, Maxxis, Velocity Filters, Streamline, Dragon, ARP, SHIFT, and JSR
About Nic Granlund:
Nic has been racing for 25 years. Born in Sweden, Nic started his career at the age of 14 racing dirt bikes. Nic is one of the most successful multi-disciplined racers in the world. Early in his career, Nic won the 1996 Novice 1200 Runabout JetSki World Championship. During a race in which Nic was racing a two-wheeler, a friend could not race and asked Nic to race his ATV. He was a natural and was soon racing in Mickey Thompson Stadium races. Nic began to win and turned pro, racing a combination of motocross and desert racing. Over the past five years, Nic helped pioneer ATV Supermoto racing and won the Supermoto championship four of the last last years. Most recently, Nic and his partner, Greg Stuart, have dominated the Best in the Desert Series, winning six of the last eight races. Very few racers succeed in more than one style of racing and Nic’s success in ATV MotoCross, Supermoto, and Desert Racing is unique. Most recently, Nic has been teaching ATV racing and a high percentage of his students find their way to the podium.

trentk

Reaction
I hope he heals quickly. If they setup a paypal account for him please let me know so I can donate.

Thanks,
Trent

GBK MOTORSPORTS

Reaction
Wow crappy news about a awesome racer and a cool guy! Best wishes for a speedy recovery Nick!

StrunkBro

Reaction
Im glad to here that Nic will be OK. He has always been a great person to race again.

Elk Hunter

Reaction
Speedy recovery, Nick. Hope that you are back soon

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Very sad, hope he pulls through!!!

Dirty Neil

Reaction
WOW, what crappy news. Nic will be missed during his recovery. He is truly one of the fastest guys in the desert I have ever seen.

ACEwrench

Reaction
Nic sent me a picture of his scar from surgery, it looked to be at leaste 18" down his right leg.... (chicks dig scars anyway)

I was talking to a friend of his during a recent race, he told be that the positive wire on his battery broke off...which is why it stalled in the air. those tabs on the battery have a plastic cover on them so it wasnt discovered until later.

Get well soon man.....

Harpo

Reaction
WOW, what crappy news. Nic will be missed during his recovery. He is truly one of the fastest guys in the desert I have ever seen.

True that! Get well brother!

offrd43

Reaction
hey acewrench what a-arms and shocks do you run on the ktm ,i see your sponsored by two different brands for each just wondering do you run a different brand each race,which ones better i am in the market for some(if i can keep it running long enough)

ACEwrench

Reaction
hey acewrench what a-arms and shocks do you run on the ktm ,i see your sponsored by two different brands for each just wondering do you run a different brand each race,which ones better i am in the market for some(if i can keep it running long enough)

on the desert quad we have Laeger and Exit shocks, with Teixiera Tech tie-rod perch...Cody Mitchell has a full Teixiera Front end on his WORCS quad with FOX shocks a/ an Exit rear..We are sponsored by both but we got the desert quad set up so good we decided not to change...

in the desert, you cant really beat a Laeger Pro-Trax front end (though it was designed for MX). Greg Stuart/Nic Granlund run the same set up (w/ fox shocks tho) on their hybrid truggy aka. desert quad. Teixiera's stuff is also top notch, as you cant equal the ground clearance his a-arms provide and the tie rod perch eliminates alot of bump steer, even on conventional front ends.

I cant really say one is better than the other because they both have a great products..I can say the Exit has figured out the rear shock problems for us...the rear shock is OUTSTANDING, even with a 50 lbs difference between riders ( i think Cody is 150 lbs soaking wet!). I hate to say "run a combination" but FOX fronts with a EXIT rear is a great set up. A-arms are up in the air between the two...

I hope I helped and not confused the crap outta you..LOL

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
I got a text from him the other night and he says he is doing ok. Says he is getting a paypal account set up as the bills are mounting. If he gives it to me I will post it up here. Its going to be a while for him to heal up. It was a pretty bad accident.

RacerX1

Reaction
Marc, maybe you can tell Nic or have someone in his family contact RiderDown.org. They are there for this very thing and Bruce is the man!! Someone can actually fill out his information on-line so he can receive some donations.

ACEwrench

Reaction
Marc, maybe you can tell Nic or have someone in his family contact RiderDown.org. They are there for this very thing and Bruce is the man!! Someone can actually fill out his information on-line so he can receive some donations.

Great Idea!

Ironman601

Reaction
There is a pic of the x-ray of his hip on off-raod.com That looks so nasty! Lori (ITP QX) wrote up an email on what happened. Doc that did the surgery said it was the worst break he has ever seen. They also have a Wells Fargo account set up for him. Speedy recovery to him. He is a B.A. in the desert. What's Greg going to do for the final 3 of the season? They cant let the points go.

Last edited: