Nissan Class 1

Rory

Crayola Killer
motojojo7s said:
Not trying to hijack the thread but anyone know what happened to the Class 4 truck?
For some reason, I thought someone said it was being raced at Dakar. I saw some pictures of a 4WD Nissan a while back and it KINDA looked like the old class 4 of Jack Johnsons but it was different. Anyone????

DUMP!

The class 4 truck was sold to a guy in Spain many years ago and has competed in many rallies including dakar a number of times. The truck has undergone many mods and updates in fact it no longer has a Nissan motor in it I believe the last rendition used a Chevy motor.

As for fuel cell prints, you should call Bill Savage. I believe he has file copies of all the origonal blue prints at his shop.

Dump

chino

DUMP! said:
The class 4 truck was sold to a guy in Spain many years ago and has competed in many rallies including dakar a number of times. The truck has undergone many mods and updates in fact it no longer has a Nissan motor in it I believe the last rendition used a Chevy motor.

Dump
That truck now belongs to Miguel Prieto of Spain and he raced this year Dakar whit it and as Dump says it has now a Chevy LS engine on it this is his website if you want to see pictures of how it looks now www.miguelprieto.com

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
That's actually quite impressive. At least he kept it sort of resembling the trophy truck it used to be.

offroadracer516

I heard savage preety much screwed the class4 field by building that truck with all the stuff he wanted then changed the rule's when the truck came out.

offroadracer516 said:
I heard savage preety much screwed the class4 field by building that truck with all the stuff he wanted then changed the rule's when the truck came out.
Old Bill has been screwing us for many o years!

The Nissan class one budget was pulled bye Nissan at the same time they jumped out of IMSA. It would have been something to see had they ironed out the bugs.
Does anybody remamber how many miles Ivan and his (at the time) new class 1 truck went in its first race??? 30. Second race? 60.

y2kbaja

Class 1 was unlimited 1 and 2 seat vehicles.
Class 8 was full size trucks.
Class 3 was 4x4 short wheel base trucks/suvs.
Class 4 was 4x4 long wheel base trucks.
Class 6 was sedans.

The write up in this months Dusty Times on the 1990 Baja 1000 was interesting in the numbers that these classes had at the time. Also the numbers in 7, 7s and 7-4x4 classes.

Byrdman

Asked to be removed
It's amazing what amending the rules will do to ruin alot of classes.
If you guys are going to restore this truck and put her back on the road and race it, how about posting some pictures along the way? Alot of us would love to see a couple of pics every week or so and cheer on the progress. Especially the tear-down and build up. Good Luck

ffrank

I spoke with John(JFK) Kennedy today. He was Scoops co-rider and did prep on the truck. He wanted to offer any ifo (and he has a lot) to the new owners If they want to call.. JFK racecars 760-240-4373 Listening to the stories and the challenges that truck and team went through its a shame it was scrapped for so long. Good luck...

blazersracing

Was this truck out at the MORE race this past weekend? I saw a truck-ggy go by me near the S/F line after the leaders had finnished. The truck had a black standard cab, but I couldnt tell what make it was. The whole rear end was sheet-metal and completely independent. It looked very similar to the Nissan class 1 that George now owns.

e_lunatic

motojojo7s said:
The class 4 that Jack Johnson drove? That 4 truck is one of my favorite Nissans ever...along with the Foes built 7 on these cards.

These cards from another thread show in '92 the class 1 got 3 DNF's. The cards show Frank Vessels as the driver.
<<<THREAD>>>
hey i have those cards to. i'd love to get another set, anybody know where i can get them?

Tony_Barraza

Hey Gang-

I've been wanting to post this since the thread started, just haven't had time to dig through my archives until now.

From the November 1991 issue of Four Wheeler magazine:

Lead spread of Nissan Class 1 feature -

Supporting page of Nissan Class 1 feature -

I still remember thinking how pivotal the timing of this vehicle was, and the resulting ripple effect impact made within the desert racing community.

Nissan wanted to go head-to-head with Toyota/Ivan/PPI. They lured "Scoop" Vessels away from the Chevy/Nelson & Nelson program, where he had enjoyed much success in Class 8 the few years previous. The very beginnings of the whole "Chevy Thunder" campaign.

Scoop's move to the Nissan program opened up a seat in the Nelson & Nelson truck. That vacancy was filled by "Lightning" Larry Ragland, who had been running the Class 7 Chevy S-10 with alot of success for several years. We all know the legendary and historical run Ragland had with Nelson & Nelson.

A real shame the Nissan Class 1 never reached it's original objective.

I hope the new owners restore and dispaly this vehicle for everyone to see.

Last edited:

Tribute Productions

I work with one of the guys who actually bought this truck, I am trying to set up some video with the truck as they restore it, Tom said that as of right now they are fixing it up to race, me personally, i think they should restore it to it's original state. There are not alot of older trucks out there that are in this good of condition, they truck looks like it's still brand new except for some rust that can be removed with some work. When they bought it they didn't realize the history behind it, but I am sure if they had the right offer they would part with it, if anyone is interested in it they should let them know before they start taking it apart, I am going to talk to Tom later, I will let you all know what there plans are for the truck, Steve

www.tributeproduction.com
760-784-5099

pedal2metal

If this were a truck like Ivan's old 010 chassis, I could see the point in restoring it and putting it in a museum, because it has more than proved itself by winning dozens of races. This truck, however, never got a chance to prove itself, so why would you restore it just to put it in a museum. Just because something is technologically innovative doesn't immediately make it museum material. I believe this truck should be put into the right hands so that it can realize its full racing potential, and if it does indeed perform as impressively as its original team hoped it would, then put it in a museum once it is retired from racing. Just my take...

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
That's an incredible truck. It created huge impact on our sport as Tony stated. The career of Larry Ragland and Scoop Vessels may have been quite different if not for this truck. That is why it is historical and should be saved. There is only one of these and many choices of current race cars to run today. I think it should be saved but why not build a copy to race? Thanks for sharing the article Tony.

coryanderson

The way I look at it is- these guys bought the truck, so it's their option to do what they want. If they choose to race it, then more power to them. If everyone wants to put it in a museum, you should have bought it originally and put it in a museum yourself.
(not trying to get on anyone's bad side, just my opinion)

ACME

According to Dennis at Aero Tech in Whittier, they did cells for some of the Nissans and the Rough Riders years ago. He might have info on the cell? aerotechsevicesinc.com