No amber, no taillights.

harleys dad

Reaction
I’m not here to defend RPM but I doubt that made a difference in the race. He has headlights and anybody following should be able to see the headlights as well. People on here are stating a fact when they don’t know whether it’s a fact that he has a switch or not. He might as well turn off the brake lights also. Why would he want them working?
Menzies it sure did effect his race as he was right behind him

Ryan_Arciero

Reaction
Website
www.arcierosports.com
Ryan...watch dust2glory1....all tt stopped by police but your team has "representative" ON THE SPOT.....negociating for your truck to go by ALL OF THEM without delay....SLIPPERY????

Pete, you crack me up. You know the entire story behind that one? My guess is no. What the movie doesn’t show is what took place prior to. Yes we had one of our chase guys standing right next to the police office who had the radar gun and when the first trucks got onto the hwy they were all speeding and he was pulling them over. Our guy got on the radio and told Mark whatever he did not to Speed when he hit the hwy as the police were there. when they pulled Mark over our guy went back over to the cop and told him we did not Speed and he waved up Mark and said he was right. Not slippery in any way what so ever. Just common sense smart. We were lucky to have our guys standing right there. We followed the rules SCORE laid out and it worked in our favor. The hard part about all this stuff is that nobody has all the facts before you start talking. Get it straight first and then if there is wrong doing get called out. Pete, you need anymore facts on my races just let me know. I will give you the REAL Story so nobody has to guess. . Lol. Glad all this that happened 14 years ago is still sticking with guys.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Pete, we broke no rules in what we did. Before, during or after the fact. We went before the judge the afternoon after we finished, not a week later and were found to have not broken any rules. One thing i am not is a cheater. If at any point, Mark Miller, Don Tebbe, or myself thought for a second we were breaking a rule, or cheating, we would have never done it. Period.

Hahahhaha....in YOUR minds.....not EVERYONE ELSES..... stop it, you got away wi
Pete, you crack me up. You know the entire story behind that one? My guess is no. What the movie doesn’t show is what took place prior to. Yes we had one of our chase guys standing right next to the police office who had the radar gun and when the first trucks got onto the hwy they were all speeding and he was pulling them over. Our guy got on the radio and told Mark whatever he did not to Speed when he hit the hwy as the police were there. when they pulled Mark over our guy went back over to the cop and told him we did not Speed and he waved up Mark and said he was right. Not slippery in any way what so ever. Just common sense smart. We were lucky to have our guys standing right there. We followed the rules SCORE laid out and it worked in our favor. The hard part about all this stuff is that nobody has all the facts before you start talking. Get it straight first and then if there is wrong doing get called out. Pete, you need anymore facts on my races just let me know. I will give you the REAL Story so nobody has to guess. . Lol. Glad all this that happened 14 years ago is still sticking with guys.

Great story....all bs...just like fueling ON RACE TRACK story....all lame

Zambo

Reaction
Wheeeeeeeeeeee!
IMG_0460.JPG

Josh 8

Reaction
Like the judge part of the story.

What he doesn't want any one to know it that Sal told Dave "not to worry, I will take care of it" as I have indicated in my last post. But then since R.A. did go to a judge, that is true, the judge then side on R's side because Enduro racing did not make a formal protest. Dave trusted Sal at his word that he would "take care of it". Then Sal found a loop hole to back out of it in. And that is the FACTS.

So here we have a case of water down truth. The rules were broken. People trusted people at there word and misjustice prevailed. And the winner can claim that they "broke no rules" based on a technicality.

But 14 years later when things like this happen it reminds me of truths.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
Not being able to see the amber light when you’re behind another vehicle in the dust AND at night, is a big disadvantage. We raced behind the #15 for close to 200 Miles from Bay of LA to mile 580, and the amber light was a huge advantage in seeing them. Came close to passing them a few times in the silt beds and after Tortuga, and ran up on them seeing the light was a Big help. Super Fun racing after Vizcaino though!!

Last edited:

TJERGENSEN

Reaction
How does it hurt our sport to not enforce the rules. Without rules why dont we just go back to 2003 , speeding on the highway was some much more fun. Weaving in and out off traffic at 120.

_

Reaction
Clearly the tail lights and amber failed. I'd imagine that it was a PDU issue.

I doubt it. PDM(s)/PDU(s) have proven to be more reliable than old school circuit breaker wiring (when installed and programmed properly.) It is possible to have had a programming issue, but unless the PDU programming or specific channel current draw was changed prior to this event, I'm sure any programming issue(s) would have been discovered at previous events. Although, none of this rules out the possibility of a wiring related issue/failure which could easily, momentarily or permanently, shut down the PDU channel output for the anticollision/tail lamps.

This thread brings up the question of ethics in motorsports. As we know, some persons follow the belief: "If you're not caught, it's not cheating." And, others follow the belief: "If the rules don't specifically say you can not, you can." While others believe: "If the rules don't say you can, you can not." Some persons believe "Winning justifies the means." while others believe "If you have to cheat to win, you are not a winner." With the necessity to keep the big dollar sponsors happy, "Winning justifies the means" is more often practiced. It is up to the sanctioning body/promoter to establish the ethics for any given series. If the promoter allows vehicles to participate which do not conform to the written rule, then this is the promoter's option and all participants should know where the promoter lies with respects rules/ethics for the series. With that said, competitors have the option to opt out of a series if their beliefs/ethics do not align with the promoter, or participate knowing where the promoters stands while at the same time using this to their advantage.

Here is the rule as written:
Rearward facing lights must be in a operational condition before the vehicle will be allowed to start an event. During an event if the light goes out it must be fixed or replaced at the next available pit location before proceeding in the race. Any light that is connected to a switch that allows the vehicle to move in any direction without the light being on will cause that entry to be disqualified.

At this time, SCORE has no foundation for removing the "WIN" unless it is demonstrated/proven the vehicle continued through the next available pit with a non-operational anticollision lamp. In addition, through discovery of the non-operation, SCORE has justification to inform the offending team/driver, future inoperative anticollision lamp scenarios may be meat with an extended hold at a pit location until such time the team/driver can demonstrate continuous and reliable operation of the lamp through the remainder of the event.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Seems to me there is a catch-all phrase in the rules about any team acting in an unsafe manner can/will be disqualified. Fueling while driving on a public road??? Trying to figure out how much unsafer that could be? Maybe firing off fireworks at the same time?

retroblazer

Reaction
I would suggest that some, who are so worried about following little, relatively meaningless rules, get a grip on the real nature of racing.
Is it smart to intentionally run without rear lights? Do you like getting knocked unconscious or whiplash?
It’s only really an issue in the day, since the forward facing lights at night are more than enough. In fact I find the rainbow of lights annoying as hell to trail at night.
My hat is off to Apdaly for winning the Baja 1000. And I don’t care if he was butt naked, or without lights.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Last edited:

Josh 8

Reaction
So if you have to pick a side??? Please don't be politicaly corrct. Stand up and act 50+ something. I mean like a MAN in the year of 2000 something that is never is not afraid????

CAN YOU SAY SAY POLITALLY CORRECT?

Look I don't give a shat who get's the most the most likes.

Last edited:

ToyotaPro

Reaction
I can tell you that while driving I saw a BC car with no tail or amber and I was HIGHLY motivated to get passed them before conditions changed.

Sorry non original post related, but as a volunteer for the BC cars during this race I'd like to pass this info to the shop crew. Did you happen to catch the number of the car or anything stand out in the colors? We check lights night before race and give a quick inspection at pits. I have a reason to believe it may have been the BC that rolled and kept driving, might of messed with the rear lights. The BC cars I saw both nights all had working lights so maybe it got rectified at one of the pits.

y2kbaja

Reaction
It’s hard for checkpoints to check dust light operation when there are only 4 in a 1000 mile race.

Yes, the BC car that had no rear lights rolled and the entire front and rear light racks were gone.

I also think the #1 truck had no dust and brake lights going thru rm 834

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

J Burleson

Reaction
I’m sorry, but some of you guys REALLY need to read through your post before hitting “post reply”. Josh8, the best I can tell, you are trying to make some sort of point, but your posts are incoherent at best!

champtruck77

Reaction
I know it´s easier to follow a vehicle with an amber light on, but isn´t this sport called off-road? In off-road racing You can choose a diferent race line and do your race without following the vehicle infront.

Like Andy McMillin said, you have 30 minutes after you finish to report your protest. So if you did not on time, stop complaining about it. The video evidence two weeks after the race is boring, like it happened in 2012, when they gave a penalty to Vildosola.

Apdaly is the fastest racer right now in our sport, and he really won the race, he did not missed any vcp. The amber light is just for safety, no need to disqualify a winner just for that.

Last edited:

calexiraptor

Reaction
I know it´s easier to follow a vehicle with an amber light on, but isn´t this sport called off-road? In off-road racing You can choose a diferent race line and do your race without following the vehicle infront.

Like Andy McMillin said, you have 30 minutes after you finish to report your protest. So if you did not on time, stop complaining about it. The video evidence two weeks after the race is boring, like it happened in 2012, when they gave a penalty to Vildosola.

Apdaly is the fastest racer right now in our sport, and he really won the race, he did not missed any vcp. The amber light is just for safety, no need to disqualify a winner just for that.
haters gonna hate

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Website
www.harrysituations.com
I would suggest that some, who are so worried about following little, relatively meaningless rules, get a grip on the real nature of racing.

Why have a rule if it is "relatively meaningless"?

Clearly there is an advantage to running without rear lights if teams are going through the effort to put them on a switch.

mccallumracing

Reaction
amber light wired direct through ignition, if this was mandatory rule would this solve problem?