No Crandon for “Crandon Carl” Renezeder

onekbajaracer

Reaction
from DIRTnewz

No Crandon for “Crandon Carl” Renezeder

LAKE FOREST, CA (September 3, 2009) – The Fall Crandon event is epic every year, and with this being the 40th anniversary celebration, it’s poised to be one of the most memorable of all. The racing is always outstanding, but it’s the fans that make it an experience teams never forget.

“Because the fans have treated us so well for so long, I feel compelled to send out this release explaining why we can’t be in Crandon this year, and to let everyone know that I truly wish I could be there,” commented multi-time World Champion, “Crandon Carl” Renezeder.

“As we put our original 2009 schedule together, we intended to put Labor Day Crandon on that schedule,” Renezeder continued. “However, Travis Coyne’s experience in Texas at the first TORC race of the season was a clear indication that we wouldn’t be allowed to run our trucks at a TORC event; we would run into the same sponsorship constraints. We were disappointed as we realized early in the year that Crandon most likely wasn’t going to be a possibility for us.”

Then, a few weeks ago Renezeder received a call on his cell phone from the Crandon community and the track asking if there was anything they could do to help the team come to the race. They wanted Renezeder there to help celebrate forty years of racing and hoped to highlight some of his achievements there over the last ten years.

“I felt honored to receive the invitation,” Renezeder humbly admitted. “My guys immediately got to the task of prepping the trucks, we booked hotel rooms, held flights and decided it was the right thing to do to make a couple of phone calls to the TORC decision-makers to make sure they were ok with us racing with them at this one event.”

Renezeder personally placed the calls to make sure the team would be welcome. Unfortunately, after a few days of phone calls, it became clear that the sponsor rules enforced at the Texas event would hold true at Crandon as well.

“The foundation Team Renezeder has built throughout the years is our commitment and dedication to our sponsors, so to ask us to censor any of our sponsors is not an option nor is it healthy for the future of our sport,” explained Renezeder. “This is why we won’t be able to race at Crandon this year.”

Renezeder went on to say, “I sincerely hope that someday in the future, we’ll be able to race again at the fabled Crandon International Off-Road Raceway. I’m extremely proud to have been part of the last decade of racing there and of my team’s accomplishments on the track. The fans are amazing and the atmosphere is indescribable. I wish the fans, the staff and all the racers a safe, successful, enjoyable 40th anniversary.

dirtmankj

Reaction
Why can't Lucas and Traxis talk so we can have one series. I feel like I'm watching cart all over again

Nash!

Reaction
That is very unfortunate for everyone involved in our sport!

I feel like I'm watching cart all over again...

Look how well that all turned out! Oh wait a minute.:(

450grl

Reaction
Excellent decision........and way to be loyal to your sponsors! I think it's BS that TORC is not as willing to embrace other series drivers the way other series have welcomed TORC drivers. This speaks volumes to me......and to others who have been watching things play out all year. It sucks for Carl and his team, and it sucks for the fans at Crandon who want to see him race.

3D of 3DCS

Reaction
Well ain't that some BS...

MeFirst

Reaction
First, Carl is a class act with this press release. He's one of the biggest stars in the off road world and he understands what that means. One of the obligations is to the fans and this press release goes a long way toward explaining to those fans why “Crandon Carl” won’t be at the biggest race in years.

Second, I can't blame TORC on this. Maybe they shouldn't have signed a contract with sponsor exclusivity but sponsor dollars are hard to come by right now. TORC relies on their sponsors to play the bills just like Carl does and Traxxas has stepped up in a big way. The PDG has recommended that TORC not sign any more sponsor exclusivity agreements so we will see if that has any weight.

Third, even though I appreciate the contributions of Traxxas to the series, this is childish and makes me angry. If they’re so worried that another RC company is going to steal their thunder they need to step up their game. They are one of the best funded teams out there. They have top of the line equipment and are supported by some of the most knowledgeable people in racing. Yet they’re still struggling to be competitive.

Lastly, I challenge Ricky to work with Traxxas to come to a compromise for next year. As the series owner, he knows the product on the track is better when all of the top drivers are out there.

Pro-Lite Brian

Reaction
You guys are a bunch of whiners! It is too bad Carl (and crew) won't be attending any of the festivities, but get over it!

Why is it okay for Carl to be loyal to his sponsor(s), but it's bad on TORC for being loyal to their contract with TRAXXAS? It was known well before the first race of the year that no competing sponsors were going to be allowed. I too wish that there was no exclusivity, but why does this have to be a topic being whined about 5 months later?

Lastly, I'd like say that I'm proud to be a part of a sport where people stand up for what they believe! Way to go Carl, TORC, and LUCAS!

Andy Mac

Simply Stunning
Reaction
Wait, so you are calling Carl a whiner for saying how he's still not allowed to run his sponsors in a TORC event? Yet in the end of your argument, you say "way to go Carl"? That was all we are saying too. Way to go Carl for standing by your sponsors.

Can anybody else name a Motorsports series where competing companies with the Series Title Sponsor can't sponsor a car/truck/boat in that series?

I understand a contract is a contract, but what a rediculous thing to put in the contract. The sport needs multiple sponsors getting involved and competing with each other in order to grow as a series. Since Monster Energy is now sponsoring TORC, I'm surprised they are letting Red Bull and Rockstar sponsored trucks show up and race. Do you see what I am getting at?

Yes, getting a Traxxas sponsorship was big for TORC, but I also believe it is holding them back from becoming the top series in Short Course racing. It is not fair to the other companies or even to TORC by not allowing other sponsors to jump in the pool and add their marketing/advertising dollars to the series. This would only help the series GROW.

Traxxas, get over yourselves! Help our sport grow. Don't help Monopolize it!

shortcourse

Reaction
it's true it would be better for anyone to run anything, but this is a "cheap shot carl" not "crandon carl." he knew before the season what the story was, and this ain't about real dollars - this is about RC10 trying to spend pennies on the dollar and try and slipstream behind and upstage their competitor. let them put a full team together and start making a contribution along the lines - millions - that traxxas does and then there's something to talk about. let them put a team together, put real cash in a driver's pocket and really help the sport, not just a few bucks for stickers on some headlights. yeah, a deal's a deal, and carl knows the deal, and all this talk about crandon talking to carl is just high fallutin' whining and him trying to go around the rules when he knew them all along. he's just trying to keep his name in the mix when the whole world is going to be watching live and he ain't at the party. and heh, by the way, wonder how his other sponsors are feeling missing all that exposure?? he's certainly not doing them any favors!

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
Reaction
Seems like whats been happening in drag racing over the past year or two. Full throttle energy drink came in as a title sponsor and locked everyone out. Which really jacked it up ( no energy drink wars) which are really good for teams. I support teams in both series but i am not a big fan of the rule. Competition is good for sales no matter what it is that you are selling. This isnt hurting the sponsors as much as its hurting team owners and drivers. Think about how much work is involved in bringing in a large sponsor and then having to tell them you cant do races with there logo on the car. Talk about a kick to the nuts. I think alot of the companies involved have been really good sports to there drivers. If these were huge corporations that arent "in" the racing. They would pull the chutes immediatley.

I like what Carl did though. I think hes a class act.

RacinBob

Reaction
Wait, so you are calling Carl a whiner for saying how he's still not allowed to run his sponsors in a TORC event? Yet in the end of your argument, you say "way to go Carl"? That was all we are saying too. Way to go Carl for standing by your sponsors.
Brian meant all the whiners on this beaten to death thread! Not Carl.

RacinBob

Reaction
There has been other instances in off road in past history.

First, SODA raced at Elkhart Lake Raceway (For some of you don't know Elkhart Lake is a famous road course raceway.) for many years. That was until the Elkhart Lake signed a raceway title sponsorship contract with Toyota. SODA's manufacture sponsor was Chevrolet. The raceway would not allow any Chevrolet banners. Therefore SODA canceled the race there and rescheduled it in a different location.

I do believe the famous Baldwin CORR would not allow WSORR patches on any driver suits.

TORC needed money Traxxis stepped up and provided big dollars. Traxxis out smarted RJ with the contract.

CR29

Reaction
You guys are a bunch of whiners! It is too bad Carl (and crew) won't be attending any of the festivities, but get over it!

Why is it okay for Carl to be loyal to his sponsor(s), but it's bad on TORC for being loyal to their contract with TRAXXAS? It was known well before the first race of the year that no competing sponsors were going to be allowed. I too wish that there was no exclusivity, but why does this have to be a topic being whined about 5 months later?

Lastly, I'd like say that I'm proud to be a part of a sport where people stand up for what they believe! Way to go Carl, TORC, and LUCAS!
Good post Brian!

Pro2-54

Bobby Earl
Reaction
Call it how you want, but everything Carl said played a huge part in our decision to skip Crandon this year as well as the other West Coast Torc races. I also feel confident this is why you have not seen any of the other RC10 sponsored racers at Torc races.
I understand their decision and sponsor commitments but the racers also have these same sponsor commitments and obligations.
I feel integrity and loyalty to the sponsors who make all this possible is extremely important (regardless of whether its Torc/Traxxis or RC10 and its drivers). Decisions were made, contracts were signed and this is the cards we were dealt for this year.
Hopefully for 2010 wiser decisions are made and racers are not locked out due to competing brands sponsors (but it would not surprise me).
Carl hit the nail on the head with everything he said about the race at Crandon, the people who run it, the community, and all the fans. Its definitely a special place, hell look what it's done for Steve;).
Watching Kincaid slide that shiny new Pro-2 around Crandon definitely has me salivating to run our new Program there next year (I can't wait).
Rob

Last edited: