no more racing in the open areas

snoreracer

Reaction
I just received the daft of the environmental impact report for the West Mojave plan. I know this should be posted in the save the desert section, but more will see it here. the draft says on page 3-53 that new rules are being drafted to make the blm come into compliance on the PM-10 dust levels set by the EPA in the 4 open areas in the West Mojave planning area. This happened in the Las Vegas blm district and the only open area in the southern part of the state was closed to competitive events. please keep up on this draft there is 90 days to comment. So far plan D looks the best but I have 1000 more pages to read.

martininsocal

Reaction
This won't happen, One of the requirements in the plan is that it does not affect the open areas. There were excluded purposely because of the green sticker money the BLM receives from the State. They would lose literally 100's of thousands of dollars in grant money they get for improvements and enforcement. I can honestly say that whenever any clause has been put in regarding the open areas, and we brought it to their attention, theyr removed it.

snoreracer

Reaction
Martin I hope you are right, but that was the same story we got in Vegas. The Vegas blm had the mint 400 course left open in the dust areas, it was in the rmp . The Vegas blm got fined $1,500 by the Vegas air board for dust at a race. The reason for the fine was the EPA told the county that if they did not meet EPA dust regs that they would hold $125,000,000 in federal Hwy. money. So the blm stopped issuing competitive permits in the Las Vegas valley. The open area is still open to recreational use but no races. This is what will probably happen to the 4 open areas in southern cal. That way the blm still gets green sticker money but they can tell the EPA that they have reduced dust from ohv events.

martininsocal

Reaction
Kenny- One of the things that was brought up was the loss of other routes that have traditionally been used for racing that aren't in the open areas, like the California Parker loop, the Lucerne to Parker route, B to V, etc... It was a trade, don't think otherwise. The BLM has been very addamant about the continuation of recreation and racing in the open areas.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
The bad thing is that the dust issue is still around. It has come up before and looks like it will come up again.