No prerunning Vegas to Reno

havahockey

Flipper
Maybe BITD shouldn't release the course until the day before tech instead of a week before. Just give the pit locations so teams can do their logistics, though knowing where the pits are make it pretty easy to figure out where the majority of the course is going to go.

bobylax

I can remember the first few years we worked V2R, 2007 and beyond, the silt beds around our check point around mile 34 were loose, deep and wide. The pre-run would churn up the silt, then 2 weeks later on race day the silt would be terrible, even for the bikes. Since halting the pre-run, the silt for the bikes was pretty much nonexistent. And the silt for the cars and trucks didn’t get bad until most of the unlimited guys made it through. And because of some injuries on the last few pre-runs, I don’t think it was real cost effective to have medical chasing pre-runners the 550 miles of this course.

Viola1685

Just out of curiosity what would be considered prerunning? Back in 2011 we were running for points in bitd and had only ever made it to Hawthorne on the v2r track so if was roughly 3 months before the race we got the previous years gps file and went from Hawthorne to Dayton. I’ve always been told the desert is open to run as long as your not opening or going around a locked gate. We go out in primm all the time and run the various tracks that I’ve raced on out there so what constitutes as prerunning versus just out having fun? Like others have stated I don’t want an iconic race like v2r to jeopardized either but how can you tell the difference?

Viola1685

Well , you are intentionally running the gps of the course so how could that not be against the rules?
it was a previous years file which a lot of people do. When it comes to primm I don’t use the gps files I’ve been put there enough to know all the trials and courses. I’m not trying to argue anything on here all I’m saying as long as people aren’t out on the specially marked course after bitd marks it then what’s defined as prerunning? What’s the rule on the area being closed? To my knowledge I thought it was 30 days prior to the event if your out in the area of the track and caught you can be dq’d is this right or has the rule changed?

Ikaika

it was a previous years file which a lot of people do. When it comes to primm I don’t use the gps files I’ve been put there enough to know all the trials and courses. I’m not trying to argue anything on here all I’m saying as long as people aren’t out on the specially marked course after bitd marks it then what’s defined as prerunning? What’s the rule on the area being closed? To my knowledge I thought it was 30 days prior to the event if your out in the area of the track and caught you can be dq’d is this right or has the rule changed?

Viola,......I think you have a legitimate question here that has "stumped" the bunch.

We ( my Team & I ) are in the 3rd quarter of our 6100 build and hope to begin testing next year......your questions on clearly defining what is acceptable practice for running around the desert in an area that "may be used" during an event is VERY important and should be taken seriously.

It seems that being out in "public lands" outlined for OHV use acceptable practice until such time that you find out that you could be on "potential" race course routes ?

It would be very beneficial to all & useful information for someone of Authority on this matter to chime in and clear the muddied waters for all to see.

I hope for solid clarity before such time that we begin our testing procedures so we do not "ruffle" anyones feathers.....

cynicwanderer

Well , you are intentionally running the gps of the course so how could that not be against the rules?
OK, so if we're not following past/present V2R tracks on GPS and the course is not flagged yet and it's more than 30 days out and we're just out driving around, it's not pre-running. I.e. it's the intent that counts. so, the off road club last weekend was technically pre-running then, since they all had lowrange or some sort of GPS and were following past V2R tracks ( I asked them). most heavily modded raptors including bed mounted spare tire carriers, etc... there were about a dozen of them. I mean, they were probably not a team, but at least one of them was going to race V2R.

anyway, my point is that it's a really grey line about what constitutes pre-running vs. exploring the desert or testing your equipment, etc... I understand that by making specific rules, people will find ways to "technically" circumvent them. also, if the BLM imposes fines for speeding or causing damage, etc... then the richer teams will just pay it to not-pre-run anyway. I guess I'm just confused how it would be OK for an off road club to not-pre-run parts of the V2R course with a dozen full size trucks, but if I go out to with my motorcycle to asses how bad the last 30 miles of the course is (because it's nasty and changes every year), I would probably get in trouble, even though I wouldn't have a GPS and it's technically a public road anyway.

Last edited:

ht racing

i think do whatever but don't come on here and say hey i was out driving around on a old track gps file. you can see how it starts with a newbie doing it in silverstate and telling everyone they did it.

Robin Hood

Mac56 is trying to help preserve our sport. I think you all know what your intent is when you go to an area. You can justify what ever you want. It is your choice to be part of the problem or part of the solution. Unfortunately, we are a group that will lean on our individual rights, regardless of what is best for the group.

I bet when there is no longer a race, 95% will never go to these areas again.

mgobaja

Some of you have mentioned public lands, and the course uses private land as well in many places. The private lands, or even BLM owned land that is being leased by ranchers / farmers is where the largest potential for problems come from.

Example being, we have family with a large ranch in Wyoming, some of the land they own and some of it is leased land from the BLM, they are responsible for damages on the leased land even. and if it is something that was done by somebody other than themselves or their employees, it certainly sucks that they have to spend the time and money fixing it.

so when folks damage roads / fences or whatever, and it is in an area used commonly for the race, who do you think the land owner is going to point fingers at first ? Likely the largest target, the race promoter.

BajaboundMoto

This is the stupidest thread ever and that’s saying something.
I don't think this is a stupid thread at all.
But I do think some comments here are stupid.
YOU know in your head what you're doing when you're out driving/riding on race routes IF you have a plan to be racing. That's sh!tty. You're potentially causing BITD a probelm.
Hell, I'm not local up there and I've been pissed getting passed (my son has been too) by other racers NOT running the same course, and that sucks, but it's local knowledge. I can't say much because I do (did) have some advantage in Baja.
It wasn't until that other thread where Mike Pyle stated he had pre-run, and others too, that I even had a clue so many people pre-run BITD. LAME.

For many years the Vegas to Reno pre-fun run was the most fun you could want at a US race.
YES! WhistleDick awards and everything! Those were fun times.

ht racing

YOU know in your head what you're doing when you're out driving/riding on race routes IF you have a plan to be racing. That's sh!tty. You're potentially causing BITD a probelm.
Hell, I'm not local up there and I've been pissed getting passed (my son has been too) by other racers NOT running the same course, and that sucks, but it's local knowledge. I can't say much because I do (did) have some advantage in Baja.
It wasn't until that other thread where Mike Pyle stated he had pre-run, and others too, that I even had a clue so many people pre-run BITD. LAME.

yup old mike pyle just disadvantaged it up for everyone!

nimrod

KOOK!
[/QUOTE]

Some advantage........Honda lines.......🤗 Happy 4th of July Tim! Just messing with ya. Have an awesome and healthy day!

Rcamp99

yup old mike pyle just disadvantaged it up for everyone!
To be fair. Mike isn’t the only one pre running. You can find any major team at these areas the months leading up to races. Having many friends that live in these small towns along the courses I can tell you they see team trucks and pre runners all the time.

It’s just one of those things that went under the radar until recently. With so many competitive 6100 teams, there’s a lot more of them trying to know the course better than everyone else.

which obviously didn’t help mike in this case when he followed Householder forever without passing at the SS300;)