No prerunning Vegas to Reno

MTPyle

Thanks Dan, I think. Haha

For the record I was not pre running V2R or even considering it. to be honest I didn’t even know that was possible

I went and camped with my boys with our dirt bikes around Caliente months ago. It was legal.

I also tested our truck at Apex the day before qualifying. I asked permission and was told it’s open lands and as long as I am not on the marked course I was fine to test there.

if I was to go to Parker or Havasu area I would take our bikes and maybe go play in that area. Also legal.

Mike

dan200

#BSF200
Thanks Dan, I think. Haha

Mike
i was just teasing because I know you’re tough enough for it.

FWIW- those who do the most extensive prerunning and take it seriously have better results because of it. I was fortunate enough to get to drag trailers around in Baja and spent a week getting to have breakfast lunch and dinner with Johnny Campbell. He’s forgot more about winning than most of us will ever know and that guy has prerun everything south of Ensenada to death. We were eating lunch one day and he pulls out a Thomas guide of BAJA. It was littered with notes, highlighted, and little
Trails added here and there.
His “back in the day” stories were amazing. And his efforts doing all that homework show their worthiness when ya look at his wins.

I completely understand the reasoning behind clamping down on the “no prerun” thing for stateside races and if that’s how it’s gonna be now than that’s how it’s gonna be. But I also dont know how enforceable it will really be. I’m
Sure race officials can be sneaky but racers are sneaky too.
I am
Looking forward to the drama this will cause though.

jon coleman

how hard would it be to hire a professional pre runner ' adjent'& this " adjent" can do All the dirty work finding cheater lines, short cuts, ' gotchas', ect, and ,yourself as the driver ,has plausible deniability'?? 🤔

J Prich

Someone better alert everyone ever who shock tunes in Jean that they’re dirty cheaters for prerunning. Some of them are so blatant they even post videos of themselves doing it!

cynicwanderer

maybe BITD should arrange with the BLM to sell pre-run tickets that pay for repairing damage and extra insurance for those who need to pre-run...

MAC56

BITD has to pay the county to repair the roads and they do not accomplish the task fast enough.
at first BITD staff performed the work and it is a big job.
I would like to know who at BITD said it is ok to run the Vegas to Reno course, Jean or Parker before the course is marked maby but that is not the issue here.

J BomBer

So possibly pre running labels you a cheater, yet cutting the course not so much, how does that work? 🤪

Charlietuna

So possibly pre running labels you a cheater, yet cutting the course not so much, how does that work? 🤪

But the course cutter admitted cheating and were sorry about it because they "made a mistake"...that somehow made them a stand up guy with integrity.

/is cheating on your wife a "mistake"? No, it's an intentional act without regards for the consequences

MTPyle

I have not had anyone tell me it was OK to pre run V2R. I didn’t even know that was possible and never asked.

I was surprised when I heard anyone actually did it. I don’t know why it’s different than any other course but it seems like it is. I would assume it would be much more difficult to get around the V2R course without going thru private lands.

even when we went and rode the Caliente area there were parts we could not get thru and that area has extensive open trails.

I also do not think it’s OK to take race vehicles out in those areas. That seems dangerous for others and more wear has tear on the trails.

I don’t think pre running is a huge advantage anyway. For us it’s not just about get perfect notes for race day it’s about getting to know the area for situational awareness. Just knowing where the pits are and how to get around the area really made the race more comfortable for us.

Luke proved you can be fast without pre running a BITD course. He has never raced Silverstate and went and won it his first time.

BITD marks the course very very well and they do not allow course cutting. It’s not like in Baja where you can find better ways around a VCP. So pre running BITD is less of a advantage than say Score races.

Mike

Last edited:

ht racing

HT, you are wrong.

You can go on open lands before a race. As long as it’s not during the permit time and or marked course.

If I lived in Laughlin and went where the race is on my dirt bike is that Ok? Yes it is as long as it’s not two weeks before the race.

again if what you are saying is correct than anyone living in Parker can not go in the desert there anytime of the year. Are you saying that’s true?

Mike
your not getting it! YOU JUST DO NOT COME ON A PUBLIC FORUM AND START TALKING ABOUT HOW YOU WERE OUT AS YOU SAID PRE RUNNING THE SS TRACK. 😷

J Prich

your not getting it! YOU JUST DO NOT COME ON A PUBLIC FORUM AND START TALKING ABOUT HOW YOU WERE OUT AS YOU SAID PRE RUNNING THE SS TRACK. 😷
So the mistake he made in your opinion here is that he shouldn't have been honest? Kind of crazy, given that a few posts up someone else is basically calling Harley Letner a cheater and saying his explanation and apology for what happened don't count and that he still is a cheater with no integrity.

RDC is wild man.

MTPyle

HT,

I do "get it" I am doing nothing wrong so I have no reason to hide it. The fact that you think its OK to do something that you think is wrong and make sure not to tell anyone is a problem.

I am an open book, I have no secrets. I may (and do) do stupid stuff and I may deserve a WD award sometimes, but I never do something intentionally that I think is not OK or legal.

Fact is there are many guys out there doing things they think are not legal, that's the problem.

I really doubt BITD is OK with some teams being out in the desert and others not. You think they do not know when the big teams show up to a race area? BITD has family and friends that live all over Caliente. You think a team could go there and nobody would know? I would never go in that area thinking I can sneak around and not get caught. There is like 3 restaurants and you will see BITD people in all of them. You think when teams have chase trucks sitting in pits waiting for the racers to get to that pit that nobody sees them?

Maybe you should make your point to the guys that are sneaking around trying to do something they think they should not be doing. There should be no secrets in this sport but I get that BITD has to be careful how they communicate things that involve BLM and permits. Obviously they cant make a public statement to tell everyone to go pre run the course anytime you want. So in that regard it is a unwritten rule. Thats part of the problem. When you are new and do not know all the unwritten rules you are at a disadvantage. I am sharing everything we learn and am a open book.

If BITD wants to call me and tell me to shut up they can. I would take that opportunity to get them to see that we need to have a even playing field. We can not allow the big names and teams to do things the new guys think they cant do.

Mike

ht racing

So the mistake he made in your opinion here is that he shouldn't have been honest? Kind of crazy, given that a few posts up someone else is basically calling Harley Letner a cheater and saying his explanation and apology for what happened don't count and that he still is a cheater with no integrity.

RDC is wild man.
do you go to the police station and say hey guys i drove drunk last night or i was doing 100 mph down that street by the way. lol do whatever but if you get busted its your own fault is all we are saying. how about dam sorry but i blasted a desert tortoise out pre running today! how honest should we be on here?

MTPyle

I am starting to see why no teams post on here. LOL Its kind of like the real world, half of it is crazy. I won't give up easy though.

Mike

J Prich

do you go to the police station and say hey guys i drove drunk last night or i was doing 100 mph down that street by the way. lol do whatever but if you get busted its your own fault is all we are saying. how about dam sorry but i blasted a desert tortoise out pre running today! how honest should we be on here?
Im not trying to play silly shells games here with unrelated examples. Instead of moving the goal posts, lets' stick to what was actually said and done instead of trying to make additional examples of what it's "like".

If "pre running" or even being on what may constitute a race course in the future (specifically V2R) is cheating, you're mad at the guy who brought it up and even self identified having done it too, in an effort to try to clarify what really is acceptable and unacceptable? No need for made up examples that are "like" the issue at hand, let's just literally stick to the actual conversation that's happening here.

And to be 100% clear, I personally see nothing wrong with ANYTHING Mike has said here and I think it's bat$#it crazy for people who likely don't even know the guy to take it a step further to question HIS integrity for bringing it up. The fact that this conversation has happened at all is proof that the formal rules and informal community "expectations" about this issue are obviously not clear to everyone.

y2kbaja

The words prerunning or "prerunning". Stop using those words. Yes, prerunning and "prerunning" are against the rules. Camping in the desert with your family and exploring the backroads is 100% legal and ok. So is bird watching, overlanding and just out having fun in the desert. It's public lands. I spend a lot of time in the desert camping, bird watching, overlanding, ghost town hunting etc and yes, I often find and use race course roads to get there, including using the maps and files.

MTPyle

So I should hang some binoculars in my Raptor and call it a bird watching vehicle? This would make everyone happy? LOL

I guess Geiser needs to rename the luxury pre runner to luxury birdwatching vehicle. How dare they sell a pre runner.

I feel like Jack Nicholas, “you can’t handle the truth” I guess that didn’t end well for his character. Haha maybe I should shut up and or just lie.

Mike