Noise

Jordan

Reaction
I have a noise issue that I cant seem to figure out.

When I am idleing at a stop or I have just turned the engine off I notice about every 30 seconds a KNOCK sound coming from the engine bay. Just one KNOCK and then about 20-30 seconds later another. If the engine is running it will continuously happen but if the engine is off it will do it about 2-3 times then stop like whatever it is has settled. When I accelerate I dont hear it anymore but that could be because of the engine noise. It is loud enough to hear it in the cab with the doors closed so its not oil settling in the pan for example.

Any ideas or questions? Thanks!

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

Ryno

Reaction
Just to check bases here....make sure you checked oil, water, PS, brake fluid, etc. If it does it when the motor is on and off....it's not a bearing knock. Sounds more like a rod/bolt stretching...maybe a EGR issue getting gas in there....and then exploding. Just my .02

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Catalytic converter sheild expanding and contracting maybe?

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

tkr

Reaction
Sounds like a classic Fetzer Valve failure. Its your lucky day though....we have them in stock.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

drtdevil93

Reaction
check and make sure you have the proper viscosity blinker fluid. and you might want to consider having your muffler bearings relubed. i put dual chrome dipsticks on mine, and it freed up around 120 horsepower.
erik

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Dude-
Get new piston return springs and it will run like a champ! Best damn mod I ever made to my truck. :cool:

BRAAAAAAAAP!

tkr

Reaction
If you're gonna change the blinker fluid, make sure you get the halogen fluid. Its about twice the money, but well worth it.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

DailyPedal

Reaction
All kidding aside, you didn't mention if the truck was auto or manual trans. If the trans is an auto, check for loose torque converter bolts by taking the inspection plate off the bottom of the trans. If the small bolts are loose or missing, the noise will sound like a rod knock. A friend bought a toyota that once the exhaust leak was fixed, we heard the knock. He took the truck to a reputable shop and a friend's shop and both told him that it was a rod knock. We checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and it was fine. transmission shop told us about the bolt noise.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Have you had any AC vent problems? Check to see if any vaccum lines near your ac/heater box area for damage or leaks. The sound could be caused by the door that controls the flow of air into the cab vents. If it is not vaccum related the door may have a weak spring in which case it is trying to stay in one position but when the vaccum fluctuates it is snapping closed. That may explain why when you step on the gas the vaccum increases and it does not make the sound. As the vaccum dissapates once the vehicle has been turned off the sound may happen a few more times. I am not sure what vehicle you drive but this was a problem in many mid 90's chevys.

Matt Amenson

DougM

Reaction
Have someone rev the motor while you watch it. May be worn motor mounts/transmission mount, could be a catalytic converters guts clanking around, could be your fuel injection rail. Layunder your truck running(with e-brake on) and listen around. wear some gloves, grab stuff and move around see if you can duplicate. try everything YOU CAN, before bringing it to a shop.They will charge you to do all that if you bring it in. ($$ diagnostic time)

good luck-

tkr

Reaction
I think the fact that it happens every 30 seconds or so, up to two or three times after the engine is shut off is the key. Nothing should be powered up or still rotating. The only thing I could think of would be some sort of baffle or shield...catalytic convertor, muffler, manifold shield etc...popping as it heats or cools.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Tyson

Reaction
Hey Jordan does your Tacome have an electric that keeps running after the truck is off? You may want to look there, cause tkr is right nothing should be moving, after the engine is off. If you want I can go through it with you this weekend, like before the IP meeting on Saturday. . .lemme know.

Good luck, I know what its like to be frustrated with something that should be easy to fix but you just can't put your finger on what it is.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

Jack

Reaction
Could also be a relay somewhere, that has something to do with temp. and as it changes, it opens and closes.

Tyson

Reaction
Sorry I can't edit this last post. That was supposed to say Tacoma (sorry Tacoma guys) and do you have an electric FAN? And 1 more question is this when the key is out, or the truck is just off?

EQuin

Reaction
Hey Jordan!

How's it going? This is Ed from TTORA. Sorry to hear about your noise. I had a weird noise that sounded more like a "popping" sound. I heard it while the engine was turned off and it was parked in the driveway. It developed soon after I drove the Tacoma on the highway doing about 80 mph for about 2 to 3 hours continously. I traced it to the catalytic converter or its shield. The noise was completely gone the next day, and I've never heard it since. Then again, I've never driven the truck as hard since then, either. I don't know if your "knock" sound is the same as the "popping" sound coming from my truck, but if you drove your truck hard for a long time down the highway, you might want to check the cat converter or its shield. For what it's worth, I have the 2.7L 4 cylinder.

Hope this helps. Take care,

Ed Q.

Jordan

Reaction
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am going to checkout all the things that are mentioned and Tyson I would love for u to check it out this weekend.

Thanks

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

Tyson

Reaction
cool cool, I'm there. your coming to the meeting right???

scott

Reaction
Half a quart of Pepto, and a half quart of Duralube and your good to go.....