Non GPS Race?

BajaDale

Reaction
Who would like to see a "NO GPS's ALLOWED" race? Just to see who would be the fast guys without the GPS? Just following the arrows like the good ol days? How would it affect the finishing times? Would everybody be way slower?:eek:

57Racer

Reaction
That would be kind of fun actually. I am sure there would be significantly slower times, unless the driver has badash memory. How would you enforce it though? A lot of trucks have it all hardwired in, take off the GPS puck on top of the vehicle?

Ready for some KORRBC this year Dale?

trent06

Mush
Reaction
We didnt run one at Parker this year in the stock full 8100 class, and ran fine only being separated by about 1 minute behind Foutz, 250 miles into the race, until suspension and brakes issues became a problem and pretty much ended our day of racing because of down time.

Cheater

Reaction
We didnt run one at Parker this year in the stock full 8100 class, and ran fine only being separated by about 1 minute behind Foutz, 250 miles into the race, until suspension and brakes issues became a problem and pretty much ended our day of racing because of down time.

HaHa! Well when your racing in your back yard I am sure you don't need one! How many times have you been around that course in a Rhino Trent?

RojoOjoRacin

Reaction
It would be impossible to enforce... Handheld GPS's work great an will fit in your drivers suit or easily hiden in the race vehicle...

trent06

Mush
Reaction
HaHa! Well when your racing in your back yard I am sure you don't need one! How many times have you been around that course in a Rhino Trent?

In a Rhino....Zero

In a truck, pre-runner, quad, etc. Mmmmmm 100 maybe more! LOL

Quit giving away my secrets! hahahahaa

Chase 2

Reaction
I don't think you would really notice a difference is everyone didn't have them.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
The only way that could work is a small roundy round race that was marked good!! CODE does an a real good job!! but could you imagine the 500 or 1000???? It would be a freaken disaster!!!! the locals would have have a field day with all the extra markers that would have to be used,not to mention,all the upper classes running them over. I would also hate to see the amount of coarse deviation penalties!!! We ran the first 950 miles off the 1000 06 with BFG pit notes cost us the race!!!!

Victor

Reaction
I dont think it would make much of a difference on the times. I have been driving a single seat class 10 buggy and I only use it to monitor my speed. I dont even download the program.

Slippery P

Reaction
I proposed this a while ago, I thought it would be pretty cool. It would definetly make things interesting, but all i got was a bunch of whining about how unsafe it would be.

trmkars

Reaction
Back when we raced class 6 the only GPS I had ever seen was a neighbor’s dog, and Al Gore was still trying to get this Internet thing working. :D

Slippery P

Reaction
I would like to see no gps allowed at all, for one it would make the promoters work harder to properly mark the course. Make them work for all that money you guys pay them. Two I think it would really seperate the talent from the guys who can look at a screen and put their foot down.

310Kid

Reaction
I do look at the GPS but mostly just for the speeds. Also prerunning would solve this whole problem wouldnt it:)? Sometimes its just to distracting and after the first lap i pretty much know what to look out for if its a loop course with multiple laps. For longer distances such as baja well thats just another story.;)

rickf

Reaction
Yeah, I'm sure it would be a big hit with all the agencies we already have trouble getting permission from.
I'd like to see more technology, not less.
I'd like to see the proximity system they use in the Dakar races that lets you know you are about to be overtaken so maybe a few less people will get hurt.
Or better tracking so we can find people that are hurt or broken faster.

57Racer

Reaction
Yeah, I'm sure it would be a big hit with all the agencies we already have trouble getting permission from.
I'd like to see the proximity system they use in the Dakar races that lets you know you are about to be overtaken so maybe a few less people will get hurt.

Maybe just louder horns is all we need! I always wanted to run my 20" ship horn with a compressed air tank. Nothing sais get out of better than the sound of a freight ship on your butt.

Last edited:

trmkars

Reaction

Like I said in my prior post we did not have GPS. I know if we had GPS back then it would have been a huge help.

Finding the car when broken was often a task (more so in Mexico due the distances). I have to believe a GPS in the car and in the chase truck(s) would be a huge time saver.