Non Race Vehicles On Coarse

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
I know I am a little late on this one but I need to say something regarding non race vehicles on the coarse. First of all you are never going to stop people driving on the coarse during a race especially in Mexico. If you do drive on the coarse please make sure you are never going backwards at any time during the official time allotted. Some people think that after the leader in class eleven goes bye that it's ok to drive against the grain. This is so dangerous and aggravating at the same time. We had a mechanical problem at the Baja 500 this year. We got stuck in a place where the only way we could be reached was driving "down" the coarse by our chase crew. They got to us with the parts and we were able to continue behind all of the classes. Our chase crew drove "with traffic" down the coarse to the highway. After we got going I was amazed and horrified at the same time on how many vehicles were driving backwards on the coarse. There is nothing worse than racing up the Mikes Sky Rancho road with cars coming in your face. This is so dangerous for both parties. The only thing I can say is please always drive with the traffic if you find it necessary to be on the coarse.
<marquee><font size=5><font color=green>Pedos</font> <font color=white>Viejos</font> <font color=red>Race Team.....</font></font></marquee>
Sincerely,
Will Higman
PRO-10#15

Baja 500 Parts Wagon

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Will,

I'd only add "Never drive/ride" backwards on the course while open for prerunning" unless at a very slow speed.

We were at a decent speed on the 1000 course last year going on the proper direction and a guy on the bike that was absolutely flying grazed the front wheel of our car, got seriously out of shape but kept going.

PJCinLV

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
At some races (Baja) the race course is a public road. Paved and non paved. We have people using them day in and out and its sometimes the only way to go from point a to point b. In that case its unavoidable to use the racecourse in order to reach your target in the desired timeframe without making detours. Most of the time everyone is aware of the fact that a race is happening. The Baja races are well publicized events.

Then we have races where the racecourse is a path or road that doesn't serve as a public road other then for recreational vehicles. See Barstow, Lucerne, parts of Primm, Laughlin, Pahrump etc. In that case there is no good reason to drive on it during an event. To get to point b using the race course may actually be the detour.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I remember the SCORE rulebook prohibits support vehicles to be on the racecourse. A couple of years back Jason Baldwin (TT) finished the SCORE Primm 300 race first but was denied the win, because a protest got turned in by Team Gordon claiming that a Baldwin support vehicle was driving on restricted land. That show that the promoters takes such offenses serious.

My advise to the racers is to see the CRB (Competition Review Board) and make a formal complaint if your competitor violates the promoters rules. (MDR follows SCORE rules). If you can't do that you need to shut up from now on and race in class W.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I agree Klaus...I tried to state this on the other thread but I gues it wasn't so nice. People are going to do it no matter what. They won't when a team gets DQ'd or the section gets shut down. The promotor is where you should start with your concern!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

GEARS

Reaction
WILL-H,POINT WELL MADE AND SHOULD BE UNDERSTOOD BY MOST RACERS,BUT FOR THE SPECTATERS IN THERE MINI TT THAT WANT TO GO ETHER WAY AND STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COURSE TO DECIDE WHERE THEY WANT TO GET STUCK! I HAVE SOME CHOICE WORDS AND A HIGH SPEED NERF FOR THEM!!!!
PRERUNNING- TAKE YOUR CHANCES ITS NOT THE RACE.
LOCALS-RESPECT THEM! EVEN THE DRUNK STUPID ONES.

P.S. WILL-H= HOW IS THAT transmission DOING FOR YOU IN THE KREAGER BUILT CAR?

SpeedRacer

Reaction
Were any of the people who took their trucks on to the race coarse during the race at the wall chasing for a race team? It is my understanding that they were spectators. I do not think CRB has any recourse if spectators and not team chase vehicles are using the race course during a race. I think the BLM could issue violations for use of a restricted area if they considered the behavior dangerous enough.

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Klaus

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was not aware of this rule and it makes good sense. I knew there was a rule that prohibits aircraft from dropping parts but was not aware of this one. It just goes to show you how this great site can be very useful to it's users!!!

Back to the point I do not think anyone should drive backwards on the coarse at any time including prerunning. I guess that's up to the user to decide but safety is always first in my book!

Time for a Hot Dog!

<marquee><font size=5><font color=green>Pedos</font> <font color=white>Viejos</font> <font color=red>Race Team.....</font></font></marquee>
Sincerely,
Will Higman
PRO-10#15

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
2 of them were chase that I recall.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

martininsocal

Reaction
There are courses that will have restricted areas that allow "NO Chasing or parts to be brought in on course". but this does not apply to every mile of every course. if there were no chasing, then most teams would never finish a race because they can't carry every spare part with them. If chasing is allowed, then the team doing the chasing should do it with the least amount of exposure on the race course so as not to interfere with teams still racing. They should NEVER travel backwards on a race course, period. I have seen teams send chase vehicles right after the start of a race to follow the race car for the entire distance on the course. Not only is this unfair to every team starting behind that car, but it exposes non- racers to race style accidents and most of the time, they are not in race quality vehicles. The injuries can be very serious if the tangle with a race car on the course. Does that make it wrong? probably not the smartest thing to be doing, but brains were never given out equally, so other factor have to reduce the gene pool in these cases(its a joke!).
I guess the best way is to remind chase crews that they are entering a race course, and they are liable for anything that happens to them. There should be automatic disqualifications for driving backwards and for not having the vehicle you are chasing numbered so infractions by chase srews can be identified. I think you are looking at a very small percentage of folks who fail to use common sense in these matters. don't ban all support vehicles because a small number of folks can't use their brain when functioning as chasers, punish those who violate the rules.

If your gonna go, go BIG

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
I guess it’s time for me to jump in here. I will outline the rules as they apply to this discussion, but first I will comment on the Baldwin/Gordon case.

The SCORE Primm race, like many Nevada races, is a highly controlled event that has more restrictions than other venues. In this case, no chasing or roving pits were allowed. Also, there were no pits allowed in locations other than the designated areas.

A Baldwin support vehicle was observed by SCORE officials in an unauthorized area. SCORE handled the matter directly. It was not a CRB case.

There are three rules that address vehicular travel and non-race vehicles on the racecourse:

GL-15 – This rule states, in part, “All vehicles must drive only in the correct direction of the course route or trail.”

GPT2 – “At all times the entrant assumes responsibility for the actions of his pit crew.”

GPT4 – “Any pit vehicle running on or near the racecourse that is endangering the entrants, race officials, or spectators, could call for the disqualification of the particular vehicle for which they are servicing or pitting. No pit vehicle may follow or lead a race vehicle on the race course.”

Clearly GL-15 makes it a violation to travel backwards on the course. GPT2 makes the entrant responsible when his pit or chase crews violate GL-15.

GPT4 does not prohibit chase vehicles from using the racecourse to gain access to their race vehicle when necessary. It does prohibit chase crews from following the racecar so as to be in position in case they are needed.

Please keep in mind that each venue has it’s own special rules that may supercede or augment those contained in the SCORE rulebook. It is the responsibility of the entrant to ensure that his support crews know and abide by all rules applicable to them.

A promoter does not have any jurisdiction over non-entrants. However, they can and do utilize local law enforcement when these individuals cause problems.

The BLM and Mexican police love to lend a hand!

Regards,

Reese King, Marshal
IDRA Competition Review Board

SpeedRacer

Reaction
Also, SCORE rule CR50 requires that all pit support vehicles (chase) have the race vehicle numbers clearly displayed. At MDR this rule is not enforced. Many but not all pit support vehicles are properly numbered.

This lack of pit support vehicle identification makes Klaus’ suggestion to file a formal complaint with the Competition Review Board difficult because the racer does not know which driver of record should be disqualified.

Kritter said he thought 2 of the trucks jumping at the wall were pit support. I wonder if the race driver of record knew he was at risk of a formal compliant and a DQ? Also, unless the racer was finished or retired for the day, I wonder if he knew the pit support was on the coarse jumping at the wall and not in one of the 4 pit areas prepared to support the race vehicle?

MARK

Reaction
I'm suprised that nobody said anything about the 500 this year. When the Herbst trophy truck finished , their chevy chase truck came in right behind it. he followed the truck right into the fenced finished area where Sal and all the officials where standing. The driver of the chase truck even had his helmet on.

jimpat

Reaction
in an equal world, some are more equal than others....

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Those vehicals that are non race involved shouldnt be out there on the course period. Those that are pit support should be out there for emergency reasons only with the full knowledge and support of the race organizers and workers in the field. This is very difficult to enforce and stiff penalties should be handed out to those that are caught. How many more accidents is it gonna take? I have come accross more than one persons pit crew going backwards on the course. If you have to go get someone, let the someone in charge know and they can let The Weatherman know so at least the race drivers can use caution in any particular area......

Speed Safely