• Forum membership has its advantages....

(noob) Classes and Races

Ridge

Hey Guys. Im new to this whole desert racing thing but have wanted to try my hand at it for sometime now. I did a little searching on the forum but cant really find what im looking for. Do classes race against other cars in the same class or do they race against other classes as well? How do you find what races allow what classes and where you can race at? I want to get a class 9 or a mini open truck. Does anyone know what the mini open truck class is?

Wendell #527

Class 9 is a good idea but 7 open in SCORE is better for experienced guys. Lots of class 9s for sale in classifieds here. You race your own class but you also race for overall. Some of the best racing is between different classes. However, you don't wanna be a diiik. If you are in a class 8 truck in last place, don't slow down a class 9 that might be in the hunt for a win. You will learn there is a time for good hard racing and a time to lay over. Welcome to desert racing. It is highly addictive. Get with an established team if you want to jump right into it.

J Prich

Hey Guys. Im new to this whole desert racing thing but have wanted to try my hand at it for sometime now. I did a little searching on the forum but cant really find what im looking for. Do classes race against other cars in the same class or do they race against other classes as well? How do you find what races allow what classes and where you can race at? I want to get a class 9 or a mini open truck. Does anyone know what the mini open truck class is?
What series are you looking at? SCORE, BITD, SNORE?

vegasloki

How to get started in racing (any racing, not just desert)

1) Check out which series race near you or at places you would want to race. Download the the rules for each of those series. Read them. More than once.

2) Go to a race. For desert racing go to contingency/tech as well. Ask questions, take notes. Most are pretty generous with their time if you don't abuse it.

3) Have you raced anything? Can you work on a car? Can you store a car? Do you have tools? Do you realistically have the funds? (it always takes more than you budget) Do you have a tow vehicle and trailer? (these are questions you need to ask yourself, not necessarily answer here)

4) Don't build your first car. Buy it. There is always someone looking to get out or upgrade.

I consider those the four basic axioms to get started in any kind of racing.

The old school desert guys aren't likely to agree but I think the best bang for buck/ lowest barrier to entry right now is in the UTV classes. Good manufacturer support, big fields. The cars are relatively small and easier to work on. Most of the parts/upgrades are bolt on. Unless you buy a truck/buggy that's already well sorted a UTV will likely be the least hassle in terms of rolling out and going racing.

johndjmix

UTV or trophylite is your best bet. Keep in mind doing an entire season of BITD will still cost you 50-100K depending on your repairs. Hotels, entry fees, satellite devices, fuel, travel. Etc.

I use to think most of the guys on here were joking with those numbers, but now I know they were correct.

Your best bet is to get a team going, help split the costs and share the fun. It's an addicting spot trying to beat the desert itself.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Ridge

Would class 9 or a truck be the better way to go? I dont have much racing experience but I do want to advance and take racing seriously so I would like to be in a fairly competitive class

3 Amigos Racing

Depends on budget and travel limits. Define that first. All the Reccomendations mean nothing until you pick a series. Look at the SNORE series first. No offense to BORE but SNORE has the most racing and class choices closest to Utah.
Class 9 is great for SNORE and a newbie.
www.jeepspeed.com could be good choice for BITD style races. The entry fee deal can't be beat.

Last edited:

EOR1488

Really think it depends on what you really want. If you just have to be in a truck like some do trophy light in BITD or SNORE class 2000 if you have a smaller budget. If you are cool with racing a buggy class 9 like others said SNORE has really reasonable entry fee and good races. Get your feet wet and develop some skills in that class for awhile before looking at anything faster.

Anger Issues

I agree with most of the above... decide where you want to race, decide what you can TRULY afford... then plan on spending more. I don't personally care for the SXS route, but they are plenty fast these days, more so than many other limited classes. You can probably buy something for 30% to 50% less than you can build it for, and others have already solved a lot of issues. Start small. BORE is great, just limited in scope. Don't let other's tell you it can't be done and do NOT listen to a lot of smart-arses here on RDC. I'm a truck guy... take a good luck at class 2000 (like in SNORE). Leafs are a good way to get some miles under your belt and learn a lot. Offer to help another team at the races, pit for them, etc. The rental programs like Trophy Lite may sound very pricey... until you get out there and see what it takes to do it on your own. And oh, btw... if your lady doesn't like racing you are screwed. Either don't get one or get a different one. ;o)

snoreracer

Try sportsman buggy , there are 3 in the classifieds for under $20,000 one is under $15,000 with extra parts. Get a feel for racing before you go out and spend a ton of cash and get discouraged .

y2kbaja

BORE series is in Utah where you're from. Look at their schedule and go to their next race. Regardless how close SNORE is BORE is in your home state. BORE had plenty of cars at their last race in Jackpot NV. Racing class 9 or 1600 in SNORE is like racing TT in SCORE and BITD--It's a fast, competitive class with lots of experience. Go to BORE and gain the experience behind the wheel.

What do you know how to work on? VW or truck? That would decide what to buy. Class 9 VW based buggy is very inexpensive and easy to work on. Even entry level truck can be way more time consuming to work on.

jeepspeedcom

For fun factor value take a close look at Jeepspeed Challenge Class 1700. You can buy a championship contender vehicle for $25K or less. We subsidized Pro entry fees and have payback with bonuses.. Free wheels and tires when you first sign up. Affordable parts. Low maintenance. Best bang for the buck. www.jeepspeed.com. Our Championship is best 4 results out of 6 Best in the Desert events so you can choose what is most affordable to you. We can put you in contact with good cars for sale with some of our 1700 guys moving up to 2700 and 3700.

Pee Wee

For fun factor value take a close look at Jeepspeed Challenge Class 1700. You can buy a championship contender vehicle for $25K or less. We subsidized Pro entry fees and have payback with bonuses.. Free wheels and tires when you first sign up. Affordable parts. Low maintenance. Best bang for the buck. www.jeepspeed.com. Our Championship is best 4 results out of 6 Best in the Desert events so you can choose what is most affordable to you. We can put you in contact with good cars for sale with some of our 1700 guys moving up to 2700 and 3700.
And there are two cars on RDC fer sally priced right that can win tomorrow.

offroadracer516

UTV or trophylite is your best bet. Keep in mind doing an entire season of BITD will still cost you 50-100K depending on your repairs. Hotels, entry fees, satellite devices, fuel, travel. Etc.

I use to think most of the guys on here were joking with those numbers, but now I know they were correct.

Your best bet is to get a team going, help split the costs and share the fun. It's an addicting spot trying to beat the desert itself.

Lol How do you honestly say that when he could buy a 1600 car like this and race it for years and still be cheaper then a top of the line competitive utv??? And it does not cost anywhere close to 50k to run a 1600 car a whole year. Utv's are over 50k for a competitive car. How many races can you do off the 30,000+ Difference?? You can get a 1600 car ready to win for 25k or less and the class still has big numbers at most Snore and More races. This competitive 1600 car is 17k. 1/2 1600 For Sale That is the best bet. Class 9 still has good numbers at the moment too. We should have over 40 1600's at rage this year. And here is another car for 17k.

Attachments

Last edited:

vegasloki

You can find well sorted UTVs used for about what you can find a well sorted sportsman buggy. If you've got $18-20k it will get you into either. For those just starting to race without racing anything prior they could probably get by with spending less for a middle of the road or starter car.

J Prich

I love how every "getting started" advice thread inevitably turns in to a fight about which class is the best.