Norra 1000 2019 in a 1969 F100

TrophyBurro

Thought I would make a thread and say hello. Just picked up this F100 a month ago from the Mcmillans and the plan is to race it in Norra 19.
Its an old prerunner that was raced back in 2010 ish in the Norra by Mark.
Going to leave the truck alone pretty much. Just a few small changes but always open to input and feedback on what to do to get it to the finish.
The truck was built by Mark Newhan who did an amazing job. Per his suggestions we are going to beef up the front cage a little and the beams.

I have had the truck down here in Cabo about a month and having tons of fun driving it and learning about it.

Attachments

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Wow, beautiful truck. Congrats on your purchase. What size tires are those...37's?

Rory

Crayola Killer
That truck has a lot of history, do you know the history behind it....besides the McMillin story?

CMA GUMBY

If Newhan built and it came from the Mcstable you have done well. Congrats

Omringer

Following you on instagram,
I wondered whether you gonna race with it, so I'm very happy that's your plan :D ;)
from my very short experience , the truck is very important but the crew is much more!
as you said ,the truck served the Mcmillans , so I'm pretty sure it's in a Good and "raceabel" condition.
so do the "beefeing" thing , suspension tune and have fun
Have a good luck !
And don't forget to bring shirts and hats:cool: :D

Last edited:

TrophyBurro

Following you on instagram,
I wondered whether you gonna race with it, so I'm very happy that's your plan :D ;)
from my very short experience , the truck is very important but the crew is much more!
as you said ,the truck served the Mcmillans , so I'm pretty sure it's in a Good and "raceabel" condition.
so do the "beefeing" thing , suspension tune and have fun
Have a good luck !
And don't forget to bring shirts and hats:cool::D
Yes sir !! Assembling a team from both sides of the border. Plan is to have fun and yes give out lot of shirts. Thanks for following

Rory

Crayola Killer
The Kishiyamas' original race truck, no?

Todd Z.
Yes, from what i was told it was the Kishiyama's old class 8 truck from the mid 80's. In 1989 Venable racing rented it for the Parker 400 because Robby Gordon's new truck was not completed and they needed it to race for points. Very cool truck, although I think it looks better as a step side....personal opinion.

TrophyBurro

Yes, from what i was told it was the Kishiyama's old class 8 truck from the mid 80's. In 1989 Venable racing rented it for the Parker 400 because Robby Gordon's new truck was not completed and they needed it to race for points. Very cool truck, although I think it looks better as a step side....personal opinion.

I dont think its the same truck. They had a race truck as well. This one was a prerunner

jeff

Is there room for a small GPS mounted within easy reach (and vision) of the driver? Having a big ol' fishfinder on the right side of the cab is handy for the co-driver but not much use for the guy (or gal) behind the wheel. A kinetic recovery rope and some soft shackles would be a nice addition if they aren't already in the pit box. And I don't mean a regular tow strap... the newer kinetic recovery ropes are the bees knees.

Aloha

TrophyBurro

Is there room for a small GPS mounted within easy reach (and vision) of the driver? Having a big ol' fishfinder on the right side of the cab is handy for the co-driver but not much use for the guy (or gal) behind the wheel. A kinetic recovery rope and some soft shackles would be a nice addition if they aren't already in the pit box. And I don't mean a regular tow strap... the newer kinetic recovery ropes are the bees knees.

Aloha

Hi Jeff. Good input. I was going to add a Ipad with leadnav off the center with a ram mount. You read my mind about the shackles and rope. Already strapped one on the rear and also have some max trax coming. Im used to 4wd so this will be fun for sure .

jeff

Hi Jeff. Good input. I was going to add a Ipad with leadnav off the center with a ram mount. You read my mind about the shackles and rope. Already strapped one on the rear and also have some max trax coming. Im used to 4wd so this will be fun for sure .
I raced my F150 prerunner in the 2017 NORRA and had both an old trusty Lowrance fishfinder and LeadNav. Both had their limitations. Having the Lowrance where I could control it and having the LeadNav where the co-dog could control it was the best of both worlds. LeadNav is a bugger to try to operate as a driver but the Lowrance with push buttons is relatively easy. I like being able to change the zoom level myself without having to ask the co-dog for help. This years NORRA I raced in a Can-Am and we had the Lowrance mounted right in the center console where I could easily see the screen and control the zoom and it was great. We only used the LeadNav for audio warnings and speed zones. Though no fault of LeadNav, the iPad we were using in the Can-Am stopped charging (damaged charging cable) and then did overheat a few times. When the iPad overheats LeadNav stops working... which means I had to rely on my eye balls and the fishfinder. If you are going to be relying on LeadNav make sure you have 2 or 3 backup power cables in the truck and some method of keeping the iPad cool enough so that it won't shut down.

The newer traction boards with the upgraded composite materials (or bolts through the teeth) are more expensive but worth the price. The all plastic boards teeth will melt down and become nearly useless the first time a heavy right foot spins the tires onto the boards. TRED Pro isn't foolproof but they are better for what we do in the desert.

Post more pictures of that truck! ;)

Aloha

TrophyBurro

I raced my F150 prerunner in the 2017 NORRA and had both an old trusty Lowrance fishfinder and LeadNav. Both had their limitations. Having the Lowrance where I could control it and having the LeadNav where the co-dog could control it was the best of both worlds. LeadNav is a bugger to try to operate as a driver but the Lowrance with push buttons is relatively easy. I like being able to change the zoom level myself without having to ask the co-dog for help. This years NORRA I raced in a Can-Am and we had the Lowrance mounted right in the center console where I could easily see the screen and control the zoom and it was great. We only used the LeadNav for audio warnings and speed zones. Though no fault of LeadNav, the iPad we were using in the Can-Am stopped charging (damaged charging cable) and then did overheat a few times. When the iPad overheats LeadNav stops working... which means I had to rely on my eye balls and the fishfinder. If you are going to be relying on LeadNav make sure you have 2 or 3 backup power cables in the truck and some method of keeping the iPad cool enough so that it won't shut down.

The newer traction boards with the upgraded composite materials (or bolts through the teeth) are more expensive but worth the price. The all plastic boards teeth will melt down and become nearly useless the first time a heavy right foot spins the tires onto the boards. TRED Pro isn't foolproof but they are better for what we do in the desert.

Post more pictures of that truck! ;)

Aloha
Jeff you missed up my idea of running the ipad in the middle lol. Maybe I will grab a little lowrance in the middle on the ram mount. That way I can control the zoom. We can put the ipad down low somewhere for the co driver. It makes sense a touch screen is hard to use driving..
Here are a few pics from a little run we did a few weeks back. It need some shock tuning still

Attachments

TrophyBurro

Just a couple more pics. Took it out for a spin yesterday.
Lots to do to prepare but the list is getting smaller and getting more used to the truck.

Attachments

TrophyBurro

Have not touched it yet but we will. Plan to change the coil springs tune it from there.
main ones are
swap out the seats to some highback sparcos
tune the carb or replace with a Braswell
Re do some wiring to add switch pros and get rid of fuses / bus bars
add rear facing lights from Baja designs

what you got left to do ?
touched the suspension ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TrophyBurro

Well we entered today .. #869 !! the McBurro ! This is getting exciting. Also picked up some Baja Designs lights at the Sand Show to Add to the truck !