NORRA 2017 Dates

Mike321

Reaction
I didn't see this posted yet. Below are the dates I received in an email today.

2017 NORRA MEXICAN 1000
Friday April 21st
Ensenada
(Welcome Fiesta / Pre-registration / Tech)

Saturday April 22nd
Ensenada
(Registration / Tech / Drivers Meeting)

Sunday April 23rd
Ensenada ~ San Felipe *NEW!*

Monday April 24th
San Felipe ~ Bahia de los Angeles

Tuesday April 25th
Bahia de los Angeles ~ Loreto

Wednesday April 26th
Loreto ~ La Paz

Thursday April 27th
La Paz ~ San Jose del Cabo
(Awards Ceremony)​

I can't wait!

Bdub 1020

Reaction
If you have a vehicle ready to go say a class 8 truck. Two chase trucks with 3 guys in each. About what would be the cost for this race. Room and board , chase fuel down and back.

y2kbaja

Reaction
In 2015 we did it in a buggy with 1 chase truck (4 guys, 2 were drivers-single seater). We camped at BoLA and only took 2 days driving home. We were under $3k in travel expenses (gas, food, rooms, insurance, other road stuff).

Tipracer

Reaction
Bdub-Entry fee $2600 ($2000+/-,Norra membership $75 per Driver/copilot) plus wrist bands for team members(6x$75), hotel for six guys x 9 nights assuming 2 days drive back(all depends on where you stay say $100 bucks a night), and give or take 2000 miles per chase truck worth of fuel(roughly $800@ 15mpg),food and drinks.
Somewhere around $5k give or take but the hotels/drinks/food can kill you,You can eat tacos all the time but after 9 days you are craving something else. You can easily spend WAY more, especially if you spend some time in Cabo before returning home. And to ensure your rooms on the way home you should prepay but even then its a crap shoot...The difficult thing about this coming race is going to be having support in SF that can meet you in BoLA

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
Also new for 2017, registration and tech will be open Friday and Saturday to help speed things up and reduce the line on Saturday. You will be able to get registered and tech'd on Friday so you can just chill on Saturday with the Vintage roundup, fiestas, siestas, etc.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
So fun...... After beating Klaus and Vildosola in a Class 11 ;). I can see the course is perfect for it. Would be so cool to see 30-40 tricked out class 11's with big name drivers running them. That would be a epic race.. Imagine RG, BJ, Ironman, Mcmillen, Vildosola, Raglan, Rossler, Herbst, Voss, Norman, Post, and all the class 11 ringers all battling it out in a swarm of Bugs....

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Also new for 2017, registration and tech will be open Friday and Saturday to help speed things up and reduce the line on Saturday. You will be able to get registered and tech'd on Friday so you can just chill on Saturday with the Vintage roundup, fiestas, siestas, etc.
#1 lamest thing in all Baja races is spending 5-10 hours in tech. NORRA and SCORE suck at it even though I support both orgs. In my opinion make it a real tech and contingency and add an optional route for vendors etc or make it be side by side. I also think drinking should be illegal in the tech/contingency line, especially if you have an armband on to race.....not sorry

Sorry if either org is offended but please don't torture your clients. I love spending time with the people that come to see the show but I'm 35 years in and willing to say it sucks when your guys have to be in line for hours in the sun and then they have to chase the next day. It takes a lot out of the team. Let's not even get into moto guys who have very little support being stuck in the sun all day before trying to solo a race that is tough as nails.

Sorry, still love ya but let's fix this.

Zambo

Reaction
Not sure why the guys that tech the cars stay stationary while everyone rolls to them. Why not park the cars in line and have the tech guys go down the line from car to car?

OR, make a tech schedule class specific. Give each class a specific time to be at tech and if you don't make it you get a time penalty. That way all the guys in a class get to see each other and the vehicles they'll be racing against, and if there are any questions on class rules they can be easily addressed while everyone is together.

NORRA tech itself has always been pretty easy, but the line takes forever the last couple years because they are busy getting the bike race underway on the same day. I don't think my truck has ever taken longer than a minute or two to inspect.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
For the last 3 years we have been parking our vintage car on the side of the tech line next to the curb and have been enjoying the festivities, eating tacos and visiting vendors. This is by far the best Contingency experience i've ever been a part of and I have been doing it since the late 80's. I think the original idea was to have all the cars on display and the tech inspectors would walk the line teching them in place, but for some reason it wasn't feasible.

11143143_910838085606132_8192577570038530909_n.jpg

CZLou

Reaction
Bdub, With all the costs (gas, food, rooms and beer), you need to put some cash away for things you don't expect to happen to you or you're team. It happen to us and it saved our Ass. Also we guessed how much gas we were going to use in the chase trucks and converted that much to Pesos.That alone saved us a bunch. Hope this helps.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
PAB, problem acknowledged. The Vintage Roundup is a neat car show with good social interaction and we plan to keep that aspect of the day. For 2017 we are going to put tech on the side street beside the convention center so cars can come and go through tech without going through the Vintage Roundup and we are going have tech open on Friday afternoon plus Saturday so racers who hit town mid-day Friday can complete tech and registration which should reduce the lines on Saturday. And then cars not in the Vintage Roundup can be getting tech'd all day Saturday. With the route going to San Felipe, it's now a much shorter day 1 and 2 so motos will be starting Sunday morning then a big gap before the cars start. This means the moto start will no longer be in the middle of Saturday tech. Will see how it goes. I hope we don't lose the Vintage Roundup vibe in a rush to get through tech.

LantanaTX

Reaction
I am glad to see NORRA address the long line registration issue. There was only one line and it seemed like what took so long was some people registering at the event or making changes. I would like to see an express lane for those who did everything online in advance. Or three lines, 1. everything completed online, 2. Need to make a change or an additional arm band. 3. registering day of.

At least for tech the vintage cars have it pretty good with tech coming to us. It was more like a fun classic car show. I was also happy to see Chris Wilson doing a pre-check of the vintage cars to re-classify vehicles that were registered in the wrong class/era.

retroblazer

Reaction
#1 lamest thing in all Baja races is spending 5-10 hours in tech. NORRA and SCORE suck at it even though I support both orgs. In my opinion make it a real tech and contingency and add an optional route for vendors etc or make it be side by side. I also think drinking should be illegal in the tech/contingency line, especially if you have an armband on to race.....not sorry

Sorry if either org is offended but please don't torture your clients. I love spending time with the people that come to see the show but I'm 35 years in and willing to say it sucks when your guys have to be in line for hours in the sun and then they have to chase the next day. It takes a lot out of the team. Let's not even get into moto guys who have very little support being stuck in the sun all day before trying to solo a race that is tough as nails.

Sorry, still love ya but let's fix this.
The problems of delays may be common to both promoters, but I would suggest the SCORE is a different animal because it runs a full series. Given the number of regular entries from SoCal, SCORE should be able to offer tech before the race, whether it's for one race, or the series.

Last edited:

retroblazer

Reaction
Then again, why shouldn't NORRA do the same thing? Set-up a day or night, a couple of weeks in advance of the event around San Diego. Or give Wilson some gas money to drive around to all the guys he knows.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
I suspect the reason neither offers pre-tech is that the pre-race festivity draws people to town and fills hotel rooms etc. I also "assume" that the vendors of all kinds pay the orgs for space so there is a possible financial impact, which I am fine with, just don't torture the people bringing the vehicles/show.

My position is every org should make money and not be afraid to do so. SCORE and BITD should be charging at least $500 for qualifying....put half into paying bak the $500 entry of the top 20 qualifiers and half to paying for more infrastructure, permits, safety and profit. If BITD charged $500 he would be able to do a lot of things but he is worried people would think he's trying to make money on them.....sheet, something has to pay for vacations!

Sorry off-topic a bit...FYI O love NORRA and will be there in 2017 no matter how they do tech, but I'm optimistic of a change

scary fast hummer

Reaction
In European and African rallyies we usually have to do the parc ferme thing:

Parc ferme is an enclosed and secure area in the paddock where the cars are weighed and any other checks deemed necessary by race officials are made.

Trust me, you don't want to go that route. You park the vehicle and leave it overnight. Talk about angst! The amatuer Africa rallies usually are pretty simple when you register. You do the paperwork, drive the vehicle over, they check the basics, and you are off back to your site. Easy peasy. Even if it takes a while (read=rolling party) that's better than a parc ferme.

Honda48X

Reaction
As a non-racer but avid watcher and dirt bike rider in the Baja I would say the best thing to do is have the tech inspection prior to the race weekend and then on Friday of the event have all the vehicles parked along the Malecon for all the race fans to see the racecars and meet the drivers. Similar to what they do at a Supercross race when all the riders are signing autographs and the fans get to see the dirt bikes up close.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
They used to do 'Parc ferme' in SCORE. After a car was tech'd, it was impounded overnight so no 'fixes' could be made before the race. But now cars are not checked for legality in tech, they checked for safety and to make sure the proper advertisers have stickers placed on the rolling billboards. Now it is up to the competitors to know if someone is cheating. Not so much with NORRA, but the idea of impound wasn't bad.