NORRA 2018 GPS Files + Road Books Available

Zambo

Anyone know if LeadNav is going to provide a file this year?

punchdrunk monkey

LeadNav files will be made available Wednesday morning (April 18).

jeff

Any idea why it shows the finish way out towards SJD airport not down town?
The final stage of the race hasn't been disclosed yet and has been dubbed by NORRA as the SSS01. Super Secret Stage. ;)

Aloha

Chris_Wilson

For the Lowrance CARS, Day 3 both special stages have more than 9999 track points.
I've split the specials into parts A&B in the attached so all trails are less than 9999 points.
If you have a problem loading the big trails on Day 3 for the CAR course, then try this one.
On some units the big trails won't load, on other units they load but get truncated before the stage end.

Attachments

Chris_Wilson

The GPS download link on the NORRA site has this fix now. Updated a short while ago.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I am confused. At the Baja 1000 we simply uploaded the file and went 1134 miles with out a hitch with a Lowrance HDS (different car). But on the NORRA file there is a file for each day and now each of day 3's specials might get cut off?

So my questions are:
-Why is the NORRA file different than the SCORE file in a way that the course might get cut off?
-By uploading the five files for each of the five days, do I have to do something each day to get the race course or will it automatically be there.
-Are you pretty certain that even though I successfully uploaded the file into my HDS, that part of the specials will be cut off on each of the specials for day 3 due to a point limitation?
-Is CW's altered file an official NORRA file or just a privately manipulated file? *Edit, CW answered this part just now. Thx
-Will PCI have a file that will work at contingency?

Zambo

I don't know what vendors will be at contingency. I don't remember PCI or many other vendors having a big presence for this race but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think anybody will have a marked up file that has extra danger points and stuff.....all that is already in the NORRA file. The only think like that is the Leadnav file which should include audible markers if your car is set up to use them.

Different model GPS can hold various amounts of data. I usually have to delete pretty much all my old files from the unit before loading in a new race. Plan on deleting all of Day 1 before loading up the Day 2 .usr. Also, the files can be different sizes depending on how they are recorded by the people that mark the course. I'm sure Chris can answer, but because there is no prerunning and the gps file IS the course marking, I'm inclined to believe it is recorded in fairly high definition. Other than the start and finish of the stages, there are no physical course markings.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I understand that the course is not marked and that the GPS and/or road book is the only navigation. I uploaded all five days files and it seemed to work on my HDS 5. I will delete the old usr file and upload the one that has been updated on the NORRA website. I just don't know if by uploading all five files the course will automatically be there or if I have to do something every day. If I have to upload every day so be it, but this is would be different than what I am used to with SCORE and BITD.

Chris_Wilson

If your GPS will hold all 5 days of course at the same time without issue then great. Mine do. Some do not.
SCORE was always careful not to have any trails with more than 9999 track points due to common limitations of GPS units. For example, the 2017 Baja 1000 file I saved contained 10 tracks, the biggest with 9855 track points.

Another factor with NORRA is sometimes you come into a town on a track then the next day depart backwards on that same track. This could get confusing if you load all 5 days at once and are just following the line instead of paying attention to where you are supposed to be going.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
If your GPS will hold all 5 days of course at the same time without issue then great. Mine do. Some do not.
SCORE was always careful not to have any trails with more than 9999 track points due to common limitations of GPS units. For example, the 2017 Baja 1000 file I saved contained 10 tracks, the biggest with 9855 track points.

Another factor with NORRA is sometimes you come into a town on a track then the next day depart backwards on that same track. This could get confusing if you load all 5 days at once and are just following the line instead of paying attention to where you are supposed to be going.
This is exactly this answer and information I was looking for! Thanks CW. I will upload and delete every day.

PaulW

For Lowrance Global map load all the files and use your setting on "My trails" to make the trail for the day visible, and make the other trails not visible. On the HDS find the same setting on 'Pages' - 'Trails'
For Garmin Expect to have truncated trails due to the huge files size for GPX.
Be Prepared
Carry your SD card with the trails. Carry your laptop if your device requires connection to your GPS to transfer files.
edit
Some Lowrance GPSs will not load big files if the SD card has map (like Murdock map) on the same card. The fix is to have the trails on a clean SD and the Map on a standalone card. I have an older Lowrance and I have to use this drill most of the time. Should not be an issue with HDS, but it your unit will not load or constantly reboots use the tip

Last edited:

Zambo

On my older units, it wasn't the tracks that took up lots of file size, it was the waypoints. Sometimes if you tried to load too many usr files it would only upload a portion of the waypoints. Usually the tracks all showed up.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Decided to do what CW said and only upload one day at a time and delete the previous day to prevent any confusion...eg if we come in on the same road that we leave on the next day. All good. Thanks for the help, tips and advice.

punchdrunk monkey

Hummmmm, website still says leadnav file on Wednesday.