NORRA Code Red

ErikIrvine

Anything you guys need just ask. Zac and I will come mow your lawn, deliver dinner to the hospital, whatever you guys need, dez community has you covered.

mrmatt

Sad to hear. Prayers for the family and friends.
Prayers for a full.recovery for Wendy

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Big Whitey

My whole family sends best wishes to Baja belk and condolences to Jake’s family, a sad day for sure

SLR

My deepest condolences to Jake's family and friends. I was lucky enough to hang out with Jake in La Paz and share great memories and stories. He was very talented on and off the track and will be greatly missed. RIP My friend.

I also wish a speedy and full recovery to Wendy and the co driver/ driver incident at the start of day 5.

LantanaTX

I am so sorry about Jake, RIP. Has there been any update on Wendy Belk's condition? I only know that Mark Post's Helicopter flew her to La Paz.

Baja Belk

Wendy is improving, slowly but surely. Not ready for visitors yet but hopefully soon.

It was Phylis Evans’ chopper (Walker’s wife) that took Wendy to La Paz. The first of several heroes. The guys that hit her were also awesome. It was so dusty, not at all their fault. They stayed with my dad long after Wendy had been flown out, even though they could have continued racing at that point. They have also been really good about following up.

BajaJeffrey

Wendy is improving, slowly but surely. Not ready for visitors yet but hopefully soon.

It was Phylis Evans’ chopper (Walker’s wife) that took Wendy to La Paz. The first of several heroes. The guys that hit her were also awesome. It was so dusty, not at all their fault. They stayed with my dad long after Wendy had been flown out, even though they could have continued racing at that point. They have also been really good about following up.
Baja Belk,
We are sending prayers from Ceccanti Racing. I was on weatherman when I herd of the incident and relieved to hear Wendy is doing better.

Prayer to Jake's Family, we only got to rub shoulders with Jake on pit row and saddened to see him taken from the racing community. RIP Jake, you will be missed.

Baja Belk

Update on Wendy, just cut and paste from social media....too tired to write something new.

For those just now finding out, and for the countless number of friends checking in, Wendy has asked to me fill everyone in on her behalf (because it’s hard to type on a phone with IV’s stuck in you everywhere). In the words of Inigo Montoya…”let me sum up”. On April 26th, on the last day of the 1300 mile NORRA Mexico 1000 rally, Wendy (navigator) and my dad (driver) were involved in a slow roll over near Todos Santos (just north of Cabo). When Wendy got out of the car, she was hit by another race vehicle in the dust. A different team’s helicopter landed and flew her to La Paz, where she underwent an emergency surgery to relieve internal bleeding, and a fasciotomy of her lower right leg to relieve pressure caused by compartment syndrome. After 2 days (and still sedated), she was flown via medevac jet to UCSD Hillcrest where she underwent immediate surgery by the trauma team who performed another fasciotomy of the leg. Unfortunately, it was discovered that her injuries were much worse than originally feared. Broken left tibia, 2 or 3 torn ligaments in left knee, dislocated right knee, crushed artery, 3 or 4 torn ligaments in right knee, cracked liver, and necrosis of her toes and lateral compartment muscles of the right leg from the vascular damage. She has had several surgeries here, including complete removal of the lateral compartment muscles of the lower right leg. At this point it is looking more and more like an amputation of the right leg below the knee may end up being a better long-term solution for her lifestyle. It’s not an easy decision, but it’s one that she is prepared to make and frankly I’m more terrified for her physical therapists than I am for her. Because I know that she’s going to be fine, and she’s going to be back up and running (figuratively and literally) soon. She is in great spirits and ready to start rehab pretty much, like, yesterday.

Asking the racing community if anyone has a line on temporary rental housing. My parents are splitting time between here and Palm Desert where they live, and my house is too small for everybody. We are considering something long term for Wendy and her PT when she gets out, but we need something for a few months in the interim. Not looking for anything free, we can pay, but inventory on month-to-month rentals in central San Diego that would be wheelchair friendly (ie: no stairs) is limited so we're just having trouble finding something. If you have an idea, please email me at bajabelk@gmail.com. Thanks to you all.

Mark Newhan

Update on Wendy, just cut and paste from social media....too tired to write something new.

For those just now finding out, and for the countless number of friends checking in, Wendy has asked to me fill everyone in on her behalf (because it’s hard to type on a phone with IV’s stuck in you everywhere). In the words of Inigo Montoya…”let me sum up”. On April 26th, on the last day of the 1300 mile NORRA Mexico 1000 rally, Wendy (navigator) and my dad (driver) were involved in a slow roll over near Todos Santos (just north of Cabo). When Wendy got out of the car, she was hit by another race vehicle in the dust. A different team’s helicopter landed and flew her to La Paz, where she underwent an emergency surgery to relieve internal bleeding, and a fasciotomy of her lower right leg to relieve pressure caused by compartment syndrome. After 2 days (and still sedated), she was flown via medevac jet to UCSD Hillcrest where she underwent immediate surgery by the trauma team who performed another fasciotomy of the leg. Unfortunately, it was discovered that her injuries were much worse than originally feared. Broken left tibia, 2 or 3 torn ligaments in left knee, dislocated right knee, crushed artery, 3 or 4 torn ligaments in right knee, cracked liver, and necrosis of her toes and lateral compartment muscles of the right leg from the vascular damage. She has had several surgeries here, including complete removal of the lateral compartment muscles of the lower right leg. At this point it is looking more and more like an amputation of the right leg below the knee may end up being a better long-term solution for her lifestyle. It’s not an easy decision, but it’s one that she is prepared to make and frankly I’m more terrified for her physical therapists than I am for her. Because I know that she’s going to be fine, and she’s going to be back up and running (figuratively and literally) soon. She is in great spirits and ready to start rehab pretty much, like, yesterday.

Asking the racing community if anyone has a line on temporary rental housing. My parents are splitting time between here and Palm Desert where they live, and my house is too small for everybody. We are considering something long term for Wendy and her PT when she gets out, but we need something for a few months in the interim. Not looking for anything free, we can pay, but inventory on month-to-month rentals in central San Diego that would be wheelchair friendly (ie: no stairs) is limited so we're just having trouble finding something. If you have an idea, please email me at bajabelk@gmail.com. Thanks to you all.

I had a buddy years ago that was hit at Glamis while riding his Moto. His leg was damaged very badly below the knee. He also underwent numerous surgeries. His general heath wasn’t great during this period and had lost a lot of weight as his body was struggling to heal. A few days after his last surgery the leg got infected and the decision was made to remove it below the knee. He told me that by the time he got home from hospital he had his color back and he made a very fast recovery. After recovery and the fitment of his carbon fiber prosthetic, he continued his very active life.

johndjmix

In the desert we are all family, wishing the best for Wendy for a speedy recovery.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert