• Forum membership has its advantages....

Norra Legend Trucks, bypass shocks

BajaJT

We have Bilstein shocks in the front of our F150, they at least in my mind are not by pass shocks but have a tube to adjust compression on one and rebound on the other, does anyone have an idea how Norra would look at them?

LantanaTX

We have Bilstein shocks in the front of our F150, they at least in my mind are not by pass shocks but have a tube to adjust compression on one and rebound on the other, does anyone have an idea how Norra would look at them?
Post a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro_Gill

If the tubes are outside the body, they sound like bypasses, even if only 2 stages total. Post a pic for a getter idea.

LantanaTX

Legend truck is limited to 2" shocks. My understanding is smooth body shocks with reservoir's being OK. I think last year a few of the trucks that entered Legend Truck got moved to full leaf open truck.

Chris_Wilson

Legend era needs to be 2" smooth body. Remote resi ok and no limit to number of shocks.

Back in the Legend Era the fast trucks had quick release mounts so they could drop the smoking hot shocks on the ground and slap in a dozen new ones while they fueled the truck.

BajaJT

Chris can you call me? I have one other question.
A little background my truck is a 1980 F150, originally built by Sprit Racing for Bill Holmes, he ran some rally and I believe a few times as a class 8, it was sold to Hertzog who ran class 8 with it, then to Matt Pike, but i can not find out what he did with it, after that it ended up in New Mexico.

BajaJT

Thanks Lantana TX, got the info i needed on the rules, can't race in Legend class because of the original fuel tank, going to re evaluate today, but thinking the need to withdraw and try again next year.

OldStroppeTeam

Chris can you call me? I have one other question.
A little background my truck is a 1980 F150, originally built by Sprit Racing for Bill Holmes, he ran some rally and I believe a few times as a class 8, it was sold to Hertzog who ran class 8 with it, then to Matt Pike, but i can not find out what he did with it, after that it ended up in New Mexico.
When Matt Pike had the truck , it was never raced. We used it as a prerunner.

Jeff Furrier

Legend truck is limited to 2" shocks. My understanding is smooth body shocks with reservoir's being OK. I think last year a few of the trucks that entered Legend Truck got moved to full leaf open truck.
Legend era needs to be 2" smooth body. Remote resi ok and no limit to number of shocks.

Back in the Legend Era the fast trucks had quick release mounts so they could drop the smoking hot shocks on the ground and slap in a dozen new ones while they fueled the truck.
Any heavy duty twin tube design shock from the 70's was larger than 2", Maramount and Gabriel the majority of the shocks for the US automotive market and they were between 2-1/4 and 2 7/16. I don't have a Rough Country Mark 5 close to me, but I'd bet they were 2 1/2. KYB's and Bilsteins were 2" and less becasue they were a single tube gas design.

The rule needs to be amended to gas being 2" and twin tube can be up to 2-1/2.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Jeff, I think you are correct and the rules should reflect this. But I doubt anyone would want to run a twin tube shock today, because the dissipate heat so poorly.

y2kbaja

Can you post a picture? I have a hard time letting a fuel cell not make the race. Usually they're pretty easy to add in a pick-up bed. There is still plenty of time. Look at the Herbst shop with a new bare frame saying they're going to make the race.

BajaJT

we are putting a cell in it but not replacing the shocks, will run what ever class NORRA puts us in, when I spoke to Bill Holmes today he thinks the truck ran in the SCORE 1000 in 1979 as a Evolution truck built by S trope, amasing as i raced one of Walker Dodge trucks in that race.

Old S trope do you think that is so?

OldStroppeTeam

Thanks that fills in a blank spot in truck history, can you tell me how long and how much you used it?
We only used it a couple times as a prerunner, for the 1000 and a couple other races over maybe 2 years. Matt had it painted and it pretty much sat after that until it was sold.

Old S trope do you think that is so?
We built 2 (mostly) STOCK trucks for the new body style introduction, so this truck could very well be one of those. The trucks were driven by Carl Jackson and Stan Gilbert for their intro at the 79 Baja 1000. I do remember Ford insisted on STOCK ! , but we pushed a few things (suspension) as far as we could !