• Forum membership has its advantages....

Norra Legend Trucks, bypass shocks

BajaJT

Thanks. Walkers trucks were "stock" of the three I believe Bryon Farnsworth and I were the only one to finish,38 hours, brutal!!
Do you think there is any way to tell if that was one of the Ford "stock" trucks?

BajaJT

Thanks for the info
Walkers trucker were mostly "stock", I believe Bryon Farnsworth and wee the one of the three to finish, 38 hours, brutal!!
Do you suppose there is any way to tell if mine is one of the "stock" Ford s?

OldStroppeTeam

Only chance might be if you can sand down to the original paint, the trucks were both red. Also, down bars in the bed are mounted with bushings ? That was a thing "back then" . I never really thought about looking at it really close when Matt had it , even though I drove it a few hundred miles It never occurred to me it could have been "one of those trucks "

BajaJT

OldStroppeTeam.

We tested yesterday at Barstool, the more I Look at the truck the it looks like one of the stock Fords,it was originally red and the rear cage is bushing connected.

BajaJT

Old Stroppe
Just before this years Norra our motor started a rattle ( scalded piston) we quickly borrowed another motor and ran the race, now time to rebuild ours, it appears to be a Ford crate motor (460ci) and does not look to have ever been apart, I was wondering if when Matt Pike bought that truck did he get any info about the motor, it is not that big a deal if he does not , it is going to be rebuilt, but still I am curious?

crafty

I’m curious as to what class my truck will qualify for. Not sure yet of original build date yet. Race Shock in Az built 2.5” shocks with reservoir on all four corners in1998. Sometime in early 2000’s the front shock mounts were redone and king 3.0 triple bypass added

Attachments

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I’m curious as to what class my truck will qualify for. Not sure yet of original build date yet. Race Shock in Az built 2.5” shocks with reservoir on all four corners in1998. Sometime in early 2000’s the front shock mounts were redone and king 3.0 triple bypass added

Guessing Vintage era 1989 to 20 years old. Allows bypass shocks. Is the rear linked? What year is the chassis/body?

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
1978 Chevy step side. National springs in rear with 2.5 race shocks. Still running coils in front
Take off the bypass's and run 2.5's with 35" tires and you would be legal for Challenger and with 2" shocks it would be legal for Legend.

crafty

Take off the bypass's and run 2.5's with 35" tires and you would be legal for Challenger and with 2" shocks it would be legal for Legend.
Do you think a single 2.5 will hold up? I kinda don’t like the idea fabricating new shock mounts. I was really hoping to keep it as original as possible. It rah this current set up 17 to 18 years ago. I spoke with Lee of Race Shock in Az he is going to rebuild the rear shocks that he made for the truck back in ‘96

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Single 2.5 would not hold up.
Agree with partybarge. You would need three 2 inchers for Legend and at least two 2.5 inchers for Challenger IMO. If you keep the bypasses you will be in the Vintage class and will have to compete with linked trucks.

LantanaTX

All the rules are posted on The NORRA website. I know Mark Stahl would love to see more trucks in the Legend class but 2” shocks are required. Reservoir shocks are ok. There are a few other requirements so please read the rules. My teammate, Buddy Feldkamp runs rebuilt old original Fox 2” shocks in Challenger and does really well even though 2.5” are allowed in Challenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rory

Crayola Killer
It is possible that there could be some rule changes coming in NORRA, but they wouldn't come into affect until 2020 giving everyone enough time to conform. This is just a rumor but seems likely. Been hearing grumbling so about minimizing the classes and streamlining them. Not sure how it's going to work out just yet but I'm sure it would be for the better.

Something I'd like to see happen is giving incentives to people who are trying to keep there cars as period correct as possible. Mark Stahl, Andrew and Todd Z's Bronco, Ted Bakers DirTrix, McMillins Macado, Feldkamps Funco and a list of others. Maybe a nice trophy at the end of the race or a cash prize for the best finishing TRUE vintage car. The only way to keep these cars from getting upgraded so by giving them an incentive to do so. That's just my crazy one sided opinion.

****Disclaimer, the above post is speculation, rumor, not the truth as far as I know. Don't everyone freak out.

crafty

It is possible that there could be some rule changes coming in NORRA, but they wouldn't come into affect until 2020 giving everyone enough time to conform. This is just a rumor but seems likely. Been hearing grumbling so about minimizing the classes and streamlining them. Not sure how it's going to work out just yet but I'm sure it would be for the better.

Something I'd like to see happen is giving incentives to people who are trying to keep there cars as period correct as possible. Mark Stahl, Andrew and Todd Z's Bronco, Ted Bakers DirTrix, McMillins Macado, Feldkamps Funco and a list of others. Maybe a nice trophy at the end of the race or a cash prize for the best finishing TRUE vintage car. The only way to keep these cars from getting upgraded so by giving them an incentive to do so. That's just my crazy one sided opinion.

****Disclaimer, the above post is speculation, rumor, not the truth as far as I know. Don't everyone freak out.
I completely understand and agree. It’s not like I built this truck this year and and put bypasses on it and saying it’s vintage because it’s a 1978. The current set up has been this way for 18 years and I figure it was the last stage before either linking it or parking it. Guess I feel a little guilty to have to revamp suspension. I’m not sure what to do yet but if I have to run with linked trucks so be it. It’s all for fun anyway

LantanaTX

I’ve been hearing the same grumblings but doubt much will change in the vintage classes. NORRA puts on great race. It would be nice to have a shorter awards banquet which could be accomplished in many ways, such as less speeches, move the venue to a place that lets us start sooner, or less classes. I don’t think a special trophy for the top finishing vintage car is the answer. Some of the best correct vintage cars are in the early classes and would never have a chance. You are correct that there is no incentive to be vintage correct but the vintage cars already have a special trophy which is the era overall and it is the coolest trophy in off road racing. Maybe only the era overall winner gives a speech and everyone else is a quick photo only? Take the classes that are just there to protect entries that don’t fit in an era and make a Sportsman class? Put the the almost conforming cars in our vintage classes, charge them extra $500 to be split among the legal cars and give the not quite legal cars a 1.5 hour penalty? The bottom line is most of us would like to see more vintage cars rescued and restored and more vintage entries. And if nothing changes, NORRA will still be the best race and most fun you can have racing in the desert. Nothing comes close.

LantanaTX

I completely understand and agree. It’s not like I built this truck this year and and put bypasses on it and saying it’s vintage because it’s a 1978. The current set up has been this way for 18 years and I figure it was the last stage before either linking it or parking it. Guess I feel a little guilty to have to revamp suspension. I’m not sure what to do yet but if I have to run with linked trucks so be it. It’s all for fun anyway
Its a shame. Your truck is 98% Bitchen Legend Truck. I bet Mark Stahl or some of us would help you with some front shock mounts. I know Mark would like to see more Legend Trucks and I would love to see more Legend Era vehicles racing for the Legend Era overall.

crafty

Thank you for all the great input. I haven’t even owned the truck for a week yet so there is plenty of time. Truck hasn’t been started in 8 years so I have a lot of work to do to make it run. Flush fluids, tires, seats, belts, battery and fuel bladder

Mark Stahl

Crafty, you have 8 months to get it ready for next years Mexican 1000. If it were my truck I would restore it to it’s original glory. The routes Norra uses bypass shocks aren’t going to be a big advantage. I know of a few other trucks that are being built for the Legends Era Truck Class and I look forward to competing with them.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app