• Forum membership has its advantages....

Norra M1k 2019 Ride Story

fastcash

My take on our adventure. This was a bucket list for me. 14 friends, 2 UTV's, motorhome w/ enclosed trailer,
2 Raptors, 1 open trailer.
I haven't raced off-road for 15+ years, the rest of the team was noobs.
Ute's were well prepped, Wildcat XX's.
We're from Boise, Id., so this was a 4000 mile round trip.
Day 1: Good start, competitive stage time until 100 ambient translated into 220+ belt temps,
when I got in the car we drove for 50+ miles at 35mph to save the belt, good fun anyway.
At service that night, 2 axles bad between both cars.
Day 2: Cars ran good after we got an important tip from RG on belt cooling in the staging area
for the start, quick changes and no more belt heating the rest of the race. Robby, your
the man. I didn't get to drive, we lost a rear caliper bolt on the Raptor that was transporting
us to driver change. At service, two more axles dead.
Day 3: I start and we run out of gas 90 miles in, no splash pit until mile 105. 2+ hours in the dez,
a bunch of people out of gas. We get a tow from a fellow Utv team (589) into the splash pit.
Unbelievably we had let the 589 guys sleep in our trailer the previous night when their dad
didn't make it to service while chasing. Baja karma at its best.
More axles at service.
Day 4: Cars are good, making some time back and we are starting to gel as a team.
More axle problems, RG had given us a outer boot at BOLA and we are down to
the last of the axles and axle parts for the last day, no more axle stuff if we
have trouble on the last stage.
Day 5: I start, I have to get the car to the end, we are well back in the pack and passing cars
in the dust constantly, I swear Stella only works when we are along side of the other
car. Our Stella would not track us properly for the whole race, most of the race we
never got out of SF. They cked it everyday and said it was fine. Oh well.
Easy run into the finish. Team is happy happy!

So both cars finished, (2nd and 3rd) and we have the normal Baja stories to lie
about for years. The entire team is ready for next years 1000 and maybe even the
500 in Oct. The adventure continues.
Many thanks to the Norra people and the Mag 7 gang for the incredible effort it takes to
put on this race. We'll be back!
Chris and the IDORR crew.

trailready

Good times!!! You didn’t mention whether or not your diesel pusher will recover from portashakus road :)

fastcash

Good times!!! You didn’t mention whether or not your diesel pusher will recover from portashakus road :)
The pushers still lives and made it home okay. We were underneath it when we got home and
could not find a single scrape mark. Our driver is a highly experienced CDL chauffeur and did an
amazing job. The motorhome did lose a FEW pieces here and there including breaking the
toilet seat (not in use). How can you break the toilet seat just driving down the smooth roads?
We will revise the chase plans in the future (LOL).
Chris

fastcash

Why were you having so many Axle problems? I was thinking about getting a XX.
Straight up, both XX's did great except for two major issues. The belt temps above 85 degrees ambient or so
cannot be controlled with the stock cooling system. We talked with RG and he advised the outer covers
would have to be removed, they some how fell off and we never saw a belt temp above 182 degrees for the
remaining 4 days. This will destroy the clutches, but we never had any problems and finished the race with
the original clutches (both cars). RG has a fix for this (he was testing a prototype at this race) he told
us it works perfectly.

The axles are 100% a design problem, we had both old style and new style axles from Wildcat. We
knew going in that they could be a problem, We tried to get aftermarket axles for 3 months but
nobody has released axles for sale yet. Several companies will have them available soon, including
RG.
The cv's are cutting into the inner and outer boots just thru the suspension travel. It seems to be
only after the cv's/boots get hot. In our pre-race testing we only lost 1 axle with both cars
in 1100 miles. Limiters would fix the problem (we think) but are not legal.
The XX's are fast enough to win, just have to deal with the two known issues. With
clutch and shock tuning the car is really a hoot to drive, the Yamaha motor is strong
( Yamaha won both classes). I also own a 2019 YXZ and the Wildcat is defiantly a better
desert car (my 2 cents).
Good luck with your choice.
Chris

CHINOLAS

My take on our adventure. This was a bucket list for me. 14 friends, 2 UTV's, motorhome w/ enclosed trailer,
2 Raptors, 1 open trailer.
I haven't raced off-road for 15+ years, the rest of the team was noobs.
Ute's were well prepped, Wildcat XX's.
We're from Boise, Id., so this was a 4000 mile round trip.
Day 1: Good start, competitive stage time until 100 ambient translated into 220+ belt temps,
when I got in the car we drove for 50+ miles at 35mph to save the belt, good fun anyway.
At service that night, 2 axles bad between both cars.
Day 2: Cars ran good after we got an important tip from RG on belt cooling in the staging area
for the start, quick changes and no more belt heating the rest of the race. Robby, your
the man. I didn't get to drive, we lost a rear caliper bolt on the Raptor that was transporting
us to driver change. At service, two more axles dead.
Day 3: I start and we run out of gas 90 miles in, no splash pit until mile 105. 2+ hours in the dez,
a bunch of people out of gas. We get a tow from a fellow Utv team (589) into the splash pit.
Unbelievably we had let the 589 guys sleep in our trailer the previous night when their dad
didn't make it to service while chasing. Baja karma at its best.
More axles at service.
Day 4: Cars are good, making some time back and we are starting to gel as a team.
More axle problems, RG had given us a outer boot at BOLA and we are down to
the last of the axles and axle parts for the last day, no more axle stuff if we
have trouble on the last stage.
Day 5: I start, I have to get the car to the end, we are well back in the pack and passing cars
in the dust constantly, I swear Stella only works when we are along side of the other
car. Our Stella would not track us properly for the whole race, most of the race we
never got out of SF. They cked it everyday and said it was fine. Oh well.
Easy run into the finish. Team is happy happy!

So both cars finished, (2nd and 3rd) and we have the normal Baja stories to lie
about for years. The entire team is ready for next years 1000 and maybe even the
500 in Oct. The adventure continues.
Many thanks to the Norra people and the Mag 7 gang for the incredible effort it takes to
put on this race. We'll be back!
Chris and the IDORR crew.
Thanks for sharing, as always a pleasure to read about how good it was for you guys to make it to the finish, took my notes about your stella unit and will review with them, hope you guys can make it for the 500, i promise it will be a unique course this year.

Zambo

The axle thing is interesting to say the least. Also, I didn't know that limit straps were illegal in the stock class.

fastcash

The axle thing is interesting to say the least. Also, I didn't know that limit straps were illegal in the stock class.
Zambo,
Perhaps we took the "as factory delivered" thing too far, but the rules don't say anything
about limiter straps. We had talked about them when building the cars and we deemed them
against the spirit of the rules. We may be wrong about that.
Chris

Zambo

Zambo,
Perhaps we took the "as factory delivered" thing too far, but the rules don't say anything
about limiter straps. We had talked about them when building the cars and we deemed them
against the spirit of the rules. We may be wrong about that.
Chris
You're probably right, although we didn't run any limit straps in stock turbo I'm pretty sure I saw a couple cars that were.