Norra mexican 1000 vintage event

burro8

Reaction
Does any one have any idea how many entries NORRA has received or interest for the rally in September?

ONE_RJ

Reaction
We are looking for a vintage car to run this race. Anybody have 1 for sale? Maybe Marty Fioka when chime in with the entry count so far. What kind of vintage car do you have?

Marty Fiolka

Reaction
Hey guys...

Thanks for the post RJ. I am not personally involved in the organization or running of the NORRA 1000, but I am a wholehearted supporter, hopeful participant and feature writer (thanks to Dirt Sports of course).

Don't have any idea of the actual entries so far, but I do know that with the rules now opened up for pre-1989 four wheel vehicles (not for newer "A-arm" buggies or Trophy-Trucks, there is alot more interest. I can tell you a couple of entries I have heard of so far (but not confirmed)...

1) Boyd Jaynes/Bill Brindle: 1973 Bronco
2) Marty Fiolka/Jim Ryan: 1962 VW Sedan
3) Ron Johnson: Olds 442 (ex James Garner car)
4) Ron Johnson/Cliff Coleman: Vic Hickey Chevy Truck
5) John Swift: Stroppe Edsel
6) Ray Swift: Hickey Olds Banshee
7) Bill Varnes: 1986 Mirage 1-2/1600 single seater
8) Steve Heckert: One of two Burro buggies he owns.
9) Bruce Meyers: To be determined
10 Eddie Mulder: Bike to be determined

As I said, things are growing now and you can bet that lots more guys will be looking at having fun on a run througth Baja in September....and let's not forget more bike guys too!!

Cheers,
Marty

ONE_RJ

Reaction

Thank's Lucas,

I would like to try and find something with some racing history behind it. There has got to be a lot of older race buggys, cars or trucks sitting around. Anybody else have anything? I have a restored race ready 74 Husqavarna WR 250, for sale or trade, if somebody wants to enter the motorcycle class.

Reaction
I haven't figured out how to ad photos to this site... but here's a link to a photo of a car that I'd like to put back together and race in the NORRA event... http://www.tracksidephoto.com/galle...egory=gallery/1970s/73Baja500/Cars&start=600/

I have the car but it needs a 'little work' to get back into race condition... I found the 'donor car' that has the engine and transmission I need.... I also have a few local 'sponsors' interested in helping get the car back together... It has Baja race history from the late 60's thru it's last race in the 1973 1000 .... Send me a PM if you have an interest in the car... maybe we can work together on something... anyone else with an interest in racing this car can also let me know... Anyone can find a vintage buggy to race... but how many of the vintage 'sedans' are still around??? If you want to race vintage, race something that was a world rally champion from 1963 thru 1967 ... Peugeot 404...

hickeyracing

Reaction
RJ Give me a call, I have more cars then drivers, Iam not sure yet whos in the seats, I was going to offer Marty at Dirt sports a ride in my James Garner 442,I also have the Hickey truck you saw at the 40th parade from TJ to Ensenada and i have the first Hickey Blazer, Call me I will PM you right now, Here are some photos:D

Attachments

hickeyracing

Reaction
Can we get some input on who and what they might race at the NORRA 1000, It would be nice to see what might show up, Martys list was a great start, Iam bringing my 1969 Vic Hickey race truck, The drivers will be Cliff Coleman and the co driver is my brother Rick Johnson, Iam driving my Hickey built James Garner raced 1970 Olds 442 The co driver is still up in the air, They are also filming a documentary on this event and several cameras will be mounted in my 442 race car and a few in my truck:D

Mark Newhan

Reaction
I am interested in this series. I do not think that I can make the September race as we have alot going on in the month. I have the attached class 8 truck. I will make a statement soon about the accusition.

The truck was built by Walker Evans racing for Bill Howard. It is a true historic piece of off road racing history.

I am curious what the events for 2010 season will consisit of.

Mark Newhan

Attachments

toddz

Reaction
I am interested in this series. I do not think that I can make the September race as we have alot going on in the month. I have the attached class 8 truck. I will make a statement soon about the accusition.

The truck was built by Walker Evans racing for Bill Howard. It is a true historic piece of off road racing history.

I am curious what the events for 2010 season will consisit of.

Mark Newhan
Mark:

I remember that truck well. I have a pic or two of it back in the day (late '80s). After Bill Howard died, I believe his son-in-law(?) Richard Mann had it in his garage in Tempe, AZ, for a number of years near where I lived at the time. I remember coming home from work one day and seeing a large box truck pulled up to the garage so I swung by. It happened to Rich Minga, who had purchased it and was hauling it back to CA. I *think* that was the same truck or maybe it was another one that Richard had started...it was under construction and I remember it wasn't even a roller at that point.

Todd Z.

hickeyracing

Reaction
The 2010 NORRA race season has a future, Thats all i can say at this time, At this time i cannot comment any more about the future of NORRA, But i can say its going to be there for the long run and there will be a lot of fun like it use to be, So get you old trucks-Cars -Motorcycles and buggies ready:D

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Mark:

I remember that truck well. I have a pic or two of it back in the day (late '80s). After Bill Howard died, I believe his son-in-law(?) Richard Mann had it in his garage in Tempe, AZ, for a number of years near where I lived at the time. I remember coming home from work one day and seeing a large box truck pulled up to the garage so I swung by. It happened to Rich Minga, who had purchased it and was hauling it back to CA. I *think* that was the same truck or maybe it was another one that Richard had started...it was under construction and I remember it wasn't even a roller at that point.

Todd Z.
Minga must have had a different one. This truck is complete. Chris Gray raced it the way it was for several races. I actually did a few updates to it about ten years ago. It got some Sway A Way's, some bump shoocks and some tubes in the interior for safety. I recall that Bill and Richard raced it back then.

Please post up the pics. I would like to put it back to the original look, but as Jeff Gordon found out... rainbows have been hijecked:rolleyes:

Mark Newhan

Reaction
The 2010 NORRA race season has a future, Thats all i can say at this time, At this time i cannot comment any more about the future of NORRA, But i can say its going to be there for the long run and there will be a lot of fun like it use to be, So get you old trucks-Cars -Motorcycles and buggies ready:D
Good to know... we may be a 2 truck team...

Old School 8

Reaction
Mark Newhan; said:
Minga must have had a different one. This truck is complete. Chris Gray raced it the way it was

Richard Mann was building a new Chevy Trophy Truck in his garage at his home in Guadalupe, (Phoenix), around 1995 (?). I was there a few times as Richard built a few small (TIGed-welded ) parts for me.

As a side note, Richards son (I forget his name at the moment) currently races Whiplash in a Ford Ranger. He would be: Bill Howards Great-Grandson !

burro8

Reaction
Does any one know if NORRA/Mike Pearlman is looking for a certain number of entries in order to put on the event?

hickeyracing

Reaction
He would like 250 to 300 including motorcycles but if he can get 150 he will be happy

VentureCrew35

Bacon Lover
Reaction
I'm interested in seeing what people pull out for the "alternative fuel" class (as mentioned in Dirt Sports). Depending on what the rules end up being, there could be some seriously creative designs coming out of that division.

ATRacing

Reaction
This event looks like it has a lot of future, and i believe that it will be received really well by the locals too!
Does anyone know where I can see the rules to try to out a car / truck together for the event? Can I cage an older truck or does it have to have race history?
Thanks for your help
Andrea Tomba

hickeyracing

Reaction
No race history needed, recreations welcome, As long as its older then 1989 and passes tech you are OK, The norra site has the rules posted, If not PM me you phone # and i will call you and try to answer any questions

ATRacing

Reaction
Hickey,

thank you very much! Got it. Didnt realize it was that soon. Wont have time to build anything for this year's event but sure looks like a lot of fun! Best of luck to anyone.
If anyone needs a drive for the southern section, my home grown, let me know:)
Andrea