• Forum membership has its advantages....

NORRA Mileage & Pit Maps

y2kbaja

They must be racing thru the construction zone south of Gonzaga thru Coco's. Be careful in there. They won't stop construction or 2-way traffic.

Great course. Lot's of time planning this route.

TRAVISD

They must be racing thru the construction zone south of Gonzaga thru Coco's. Be careful in there. They won't stop construction or 2-way traffic.

Great course. Lot's of time planning this route.
Looks like a 50 mile section of racing. I went thru there over Thanksgiving and it was 23 miles of dirt in between. So I am curious if its hwy or did the find something else.

Zambo

I believe that the old road from Gonzaga to Cocos is on a different line in most places than the new road they are building.

y2kbaja

I was just thru there 4 times over the last week. Heading south it's construction for about 8 miles, then you get on the old road thru cocos for maybe 7 miles, then construction again thru the mountains for another 5, the last 3 is old road to Chapala.

Rory

Crayola Killer
I was just thru there 4 times over the last week. Heading south it's construction for about 8 miles, then you get on the old road thru cocos for maybe 7 miles, then construction again thru the mountains for another 5, the last 3 is old road to Chapala.
How was the road? It seemed like the road from HWY 1 towards San Felipe was somewhat smooth for about 3-4 miles, then was like a wash board in the mountains, then semi wash board the rest of the way. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to do the 26 miles last year with a trailer. Seem about right to you?

y2kbaja

The construction zones are freshly graded all the way to the last 3 miles. It will be dusty. The area around Coco's is the same with the optional lines north of Cocos. Lots and lots of semi and other vacation travelers in there.

Rory

Crayola Killer
The construction zones are freshly graded all the way to the last 3 miles. It will be dusty. The area around Coco's is the same with the optional lines north of Cocos. Lots and lots of semi and other vacation travelers in there.
How long did it take you to travel the 20 miles of construction zone?

y2kbaja

Never went below 50. I wasn't on point so I had the weather called for me and it was dusk. If it's 2-way traffic it will be sketch especially for race cars. Trailers will have no issues even though semis take up however much road they want.
Now. How will NORRA keep race trailers from going before race cars?

Abreojos

I don't see how we can race through there. I travel that road frequently. All other traffic would have to stopped or there is going to be trouble.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I don't see how we can race through there. I travel that road frequently. All other traffic would have to stopped or there is going to be trouble.
Any chance they might race through Frog Canyon like SCORE sometimes does. It is technical and sometimes (very) wet, but not that rough (whoops) until the last seven miles or so out to the highway.

Abreojos

Any chance they might race through Frog Canyon like SCORE sometimes does. It is technical and sometimes (very) wet, but not that rough (whoops) until the last seven miles or so out to the highway.
What is the Mexican name for Frog Canyon. The map shows the special starting at Huerfanito running south and coming out at Chapala from the south...50 miles.

PaulW

No chance for Frog Canyon because environmental prohibition. Environmental permit was denied for SCORE and Norra saw the light. and decided to use the road. Racers have to keep the govt people happy.

Rory

Crayola Killer
How is the road going to be used as a special?
That road has been used as a race course for almost 50 years. Like most roads in Mexico, racers will have to keep in mind that there are ranchers and locals that use these roads on a daily basis. Although this stretch will have more traffic, usually chase trucks and spectator vehicles are aware of racers coming up from behind and give way. We raced on this road in 2010-2011-2012 and 2013 with no issues and with traffic in both directions. Race smart, be careful and dont go sliding sideways into a blind corner at 100 mph and you'll be just fine.

Abreojos

There was traffic control during those races. We were in the 2014 1000 that went through there. Things are a little different today. It is HEAVILY traveled by just about every kind of vehicle imaginable. PLus starting in Huerfanito has us racing on the pavement which I doubt they intend. Guess I will find out in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
What is the Mexican name for Frog Canyon. The map shows the special starting at Huerfanito running south and coming out at Chapala from the south...50 miles.
Sorry. Frog canyon is the gringo name for Calamajue Wash. Paul W answered my question. Somebody needs to punch a new dirt road through that section. The three sisters road is WAY too rough IMO.

Rory

Crayola Killer
There was traffic control during those races. We were in the 2014 1000 that went through there. Things are a little different today. It is HEAVILY traveled by just about every kind of vehicle imaginable. PLus starting in Huerfanito has us racing on the pavement which I doubt they intend. Guess I will find out in 3 weeks.
There was positively NO traffic control during the NORRA races from 2010 thru 2013. Also, I have spectated down the race course south of Gonzaga and nothing or no one was set up stopping vehicles from traveling down the road to Coco's. Anyone else?

Team Todo En

For those running close on fuel calc's, I found a discrepancy on the transit mileage for Day 2. I think the miles from El Yuguay to BoLA should be 30, not 16.2. I emailed NORRA.