• Forum membership has its advantages....

NORRA Pit Support. Details & WAY good news

in2baja

Good morning NORRA fans. This is the "voice" of MAG-7 pit services.

We have been working very closely with NORRA since May of LAST year as the course for 2016 was worked out.

With the exception of the "known" destination cities, I cannot reveal specific routing / town names etc.

BUT, as of a few days ago we can give you a MUCH better idea of mileage legs for chase and pitting strategies.

We have three big and / or new pieces of info for you.

1. Here is a "general" overview that applies to ALL classes of vehicles.

MAG-7 will have 6 full-staff, full support pits. ALL pits are at the 50-60% point of your off-road / Special Stages.

This is done since transits will, in some cases, allow chase / self-support in THOSE areas.

We will haul your fuel, spares etc to any pit you desire and bring them back to Ensenada after the race.

The special stage mileage lengths will be epic!

ALL classes can expect "race miles" of approx: 145, 119, 264, 174, 202, 166, 175
etc.

These are NOT all the legs. Just a random cross-section.

For CAR, TRUCK, BUGGY specifics: visit www.mag7race.com to apply for support. We have REDUCED our pricing across the board and are also putting a plan together to assist your chase needs as well.

Choose from 91,100,110 octane, order fuel through us and we will stage your fuel at the pits you choose, also haul your spares.

2. MOTO's & ATV's:

FREE SUPPORT & FREE FUEL You do NOT need to register with MAG-7. If you are a legitimate NORRA competitor on a Moto / ATV, you are covered!

Ride-along / shadow buddies are NOT covered.

You will receive 2 1/2 gal of 91 octane at every pit. If you need more fuel / higher octane, contact us NOW and you only pay the difference.

Two-stroke? NO problem...LET US KNOW and we can use your preferred blend or do it for you.

3. For MOTO / ATV ONLY...Every race day, one hour before the start, a dedicated MAG-7 pit crew will depart "camp" and will meet you at the overnight stop. We will haul your personal items (tent, bag, spares) The crew will also have basic tools, all lubes, mig welder, gennie etc. This same crew will advance each day, all the way to the end!

It will be KEY, logistically, for you to get us your down-range gear each morning 1 hour before you strap on a moto!

This event is the favorite of everyone within MAG-7 and we can't wait to see you all...out yonder!

Questions? visit www.mag7race.com to contact us.

Or PM "mas tacos" right here on RDC

Bill

Rory

Crayola Killer
so 1245 miles so far?????? The entire race from last year was 1300 miles with the pavement sections. Just making sure I'm reading that correctly. Good to have you guys out there....

Team Todo En

so 1245 miles so far?????? The entire race from last year was 1300 miles with the pavement sections. Just making sure I'm reading that correctly. Good to have you guys out there....
I came with the same question. So that will make the entire rally 1600-1700 miles?

in2baja

Your "voice" of MAG-7 here.... confusion...based on MY (poor) choice of verbage.

Mea culpa...and apologies.

I should not have used the term "race miles". It put an incorrect mileage picture in your heads.

For those of us in the "background" who are also "dialed in" it is very difficult to publicly talk about / plan for this event and "miles" without giving away information.

I was trying to relate that and did a not-so-good job.

BIG picture is that the total miles are similar to what years-past have provided.

I was attempting to make the point that whether a transit or special stage, the miles add up. This year will have some long legs.

MAG-7 cannot specify how many transit vs how many special vs total mileage.

MAG-7 can't inform / advise anything relating to percentages or geographical locators.

My point was that fuel and fuel strategy is the key and we have set up, with constant and major NORRA input, in the places that make sense.

Keeping potential chase "NEEDS" , and the logistical challenges that this creates, to a minimum is always the goal. That is why we go way out yonder to support the racers.

Being unable to share specifics, makes it tough...and very interesting.

Bottom line is that unless you are solar powered or love long walks in the desert, the smart move is to have an experienced team, with fuel and all the things you may need, out there behind a cactus.

Again, sorry for the poor verbage and unintended confusion.

Bill

in2baja

Bro Gill and all... This post is not intended as a flame or fangs out...but...a gentle behind the scenes peek of a very unusual event.

Every year, ALL year, before, during and after planning communications with NORRA, my heart constantly goes out to Mike, Jen & Eliseo especially. The logistical flaming hoops they leap through to create and support this amazing event are staggering...

All done "in secret".

MAG-7 works with them constantly throughout the entire year. We FEEL their pain.

As you know, this rally style...Baja event is unlike anything else that happens in Baja.

Overnight stops...stages...with check-pointers at each spot, course sweepers, culminating with a party at the finish

ALL done in secrecy in order to keep the playing field level.

No deep pocket teams pre-running twice a day, for a month...like SCORE.

Everything is held close to the vest to make it, as much as possible, "YOU vs Baja".

The "delicate balance" for MAG-7 is that we are the ONLY "authorized" support, on-course (except for chasers).

Our guys have been supporting 5-7 Baja events per YEAR...since 1967....MAG-7 knows, dang-good-and-well, that racers will totally need support...but we cannot share specific knowledge.

We "get it"...we love it. BUT...dang!!!!! Talk about a challenge!

We will have nearly 150 men, 40-50 vehicles, a couple dozen trailers, thousands of gallons of racer gas down-range. It also means a two to eight day commitment by each of our guys, probably 9000-11,000 miles driven in total.

MY pit alone, based at XXX, with 6 men, will total approx 1600 miles and take 5 days to accomplish.

Our warehouse full of dump cans, dry breaks, welders, gennies, jacks, lubes etc...will be empty!

And we do this for FUN!! It is a hobby.

And we can't tell anyone where we are going to be set up.

No wonder my wavy hair is going grey!

My ill-fated choice of words...ie "race miles" is owned by me and was a verbage mistake.

The mileage info I posted was "NORRA approved", but, I put the wrong spin on the info.

It is WAY too simplistic to say "same as last year". But, I can't be much more specific.

As I said, it is a delicate balance of information.

My apologies...again.

For what it's worth, THIS event is our absolute favorite out of all the things we do each year. Team NORRA has re-built an extraordinary racing experience and we are proud to be involved.

Doesn't mean it is...easy.

Bill
MAG-7 Pit Captain & President
San Diego

Chris_Wilson

Bob, I think Bill just got done saying that the mileages he listed are not necessarily race miles but some combination of special stage and transit miles.

LantanaTX

It would be nice if you could just sign up for the pit stops you need. Typically we just have one stage during the entire race that we might be just a little too close on fuel mileage and need few gallons. In our case it is tough to swallow $850 or $425 (emergency) plus the cost of fuel for one quick slash and go. You might get more sign ups if there was per pit pricing.

MasTacos

It would be nice if you could just sign up for the pit stops you need. Typically we just have one stage during the entire race that we might be just a little too close on fuel mileage and need few gallons. In our case it is tough to swallow $850 or $425 (emergency) plus the cost of fuel for one quick slash and go. You might get more sign ups if there was per pit pricing.
Hi Bob,

Based on some racer feedback, we have just reworked our pricing for the race to include a per-pit option as well as a fueling/support point for chase trucks. More to come but shoot me a PM and we can discuss.

Zambo

Bill,

Can you please double check and confirm that there is a race stage of 264 miles???
The longest "leg" the last two years has been on day 1. According to last years pit book, it is 100 miles from Colonet to Catavina on the highway, then 112 miles in the dirt, then 47 miles to BOLA. That is 259 miles.

However, you can get gas in El Rosario and chop about 35 miles off of that. And you can probably get gas in Catavina from a drum although you would have to go about 8 miles past the start of SS2 to get there, then backtrack to begin your dirt stage. Really, from El Rosario to the end of SS2 where you hit the highway is about 180 miles so if you can do that you should be good...just meet the racecar when it gets back to the highway and splash before you head to BOLA. I think what we did last year was just bring a 5 gallon can in the chase truck, used it to splash the race car at the beginning of SS2, then the chase truck filled the can back up in Catavina on their way south and splashed the racecar again at the end of the special.

The other long stage is San Ignacio to Loreto. The special starts there and is about 170 miles till it hits Highway 1 again north of Loreto and its about 40 miles from there to town. A sizeable chunk of this stage however is hardball road west out of San Iggy and some more hardball in the middle as you go through La Purisima and the other towns on the stage. Pretty easy on the gas mileage there.

Again all this is based on last two years...we'll see what's in store for this year. I'd imagine it would be the same.