NORRA QUESTIONS ? Feel Free to Ask Here !!

Buellracer

Active Member
Joined
May 27, 2019
Posts
36
Reaction
26
Location
Boise Idaho
Eliseo, I have a question on my gas tank. I have one of the new Speed cars on order, which I hope will arrive in time for the 1000. If not I will run my XX like I did for the 2019 1000 and 500. I would like to order it with the optional fuel cell for safety rather than a plastic gas tank. If I have it delivered that way will it bump me to modified class since it will come with the vehicle new? I really don't want to make the car a full racer as at 71 it is harder to climb in and ouy than when I was younger. On my XX I put a bar at seat height and a strong internal tube frame in the door and made it safe but the doors still worked. If you can let me know on the fuel cell soon please. I was told yesterday by Speed that I needed to add that to the build in the next ten days if I wanted it to come with the car from the factory Thanks, Dick Rockrohr
 

Chris_Wilson

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2001
Posts
3,298
Reaction
1,358
Location
Gilbert, AZ & San Felipe, Baja
Hi Dick, I just discussed this with Eliseo and what we are going to do is make fuel stops for the Stock UTV classes mandatory for some period of time regardless if you need fuel or not. At the prescribed pit locations the Stella will inform you and begin a count down for how long you must remain stationary. There will be penalties for not stopping and for leaving early. This effectively takes the size of the fuel tank out of the equation as a competitive advantage and so we will allow any size aftermarket fuel tank in the Stock UTV class.

We are working on the specifics (pit stop distances, how long you must stop, what are penalties for leaving early or not stopping, etc.) But for sure we will allow big fuel cells in the stock class this year. Will update the rule book and as soon as I get the details nailed down (expect this in 2 days).
 

bajabird

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Posts
1,530
Reaction
164
Location
SFV, Baja
Website
www.mybaja1000.com
Good day,

Happy 2021 I think.

I am asking about the reality of the April running of Norra.

Reality is for now here in California that you can not re-enter the work force without having quarantined for 10 mandatory days. For me as a business owner, I can not legally return to work for that time. (as I can get sued by any and all employees who might get covid, whether from me or not) (because I did not quarantine and go get a negative test).

Driver meeting, tech day 1. How can you socially distance this?

Party nights?
Morning check ins?
Bay of Los Angeles camping?
Awards night?

Next assuming all went well, You can not leave on a flight from mexico without first having a negative test result within 3 days of your flight to the usa.
Tough to do once in San Jose.

Most major events on through June in the USA have been cancelled and moved to later hopeful dates already.

Please, I hope you share with all your thoughts.

I have participated in most all the new NORRA 1000 events, and hope to again safely.

Tom
 

cavebiker

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2016
Posts
48
Reaction
149
Location
Wisconsin
Website
www.JustAdventureTravel.net
I share Tom’s concerns, and personally I’d be very happy to see the date pushed out.
Same here. My wife and I talk about it every day. We would be very happy to see the date pushed out. Like extending the fun.

Tom
 

Ajam1

Active Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2018
Posts
33
Reaction
78
Location
Tucson
Honestly, if the event is drastically changed from the norm, meaning no get togethers/food each night and no awards, we will ask to have our entry pushed to the 500. 80% of NORRA is the social aspect. I get that NORRA will need to change some things to comply with the guidelines set in place by Baja Norte and Sur, but if they completely cancel the normal events we won't be going. That's our choice, no disrespect to anyone.
There has to be some self accountability. If someone isn't comfortable then don't go, wear a mask, follow the guidelines put in place, do what makes you comfortable, do what works for you. NORRA can't take responsibility for what California or any other state in the US is doing.
 

Buellracer

Active Member
Joined
May 27, 2019
Posts
36
Reaction
26
Location
Boise Idaho
I would be happy if it is pushed back also. I will probably be vaccinated but not the wife so she won’t go. A two or three month delay would be better
 

Zambo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2007
Posts
4,486
Reaction
2,533
Location
San Diego, CA
It really isn't a "NORRA" race without the fun part, which is all the socializing. Also, the covid test travel requirement for flights back from Cabo is a pretty big deal. I would think you'd want to arrange to get tested in La Paz after the 4th day if you need to get home right after the race. Even that might not be enough depending on the ability to get results in Baja.
 

CHINOLAS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2003
Posts
470
Reaction
560
Location
Ensenada, Baja, Mexico
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello Everyone

First of all, thank you very much for expressing your opinion and concerns regarding the 2021 Norra Mexican 1000.

I just returned from a Course Trip in Baja and got in touch with all the local authorities in each town to talk about the 2021 event and what the Covid Mitigation Plan for the event was going to be in each city; the result is that NORRA will be allowed to have the 2021 event only if we completely cancel all social events during the rally, the way we do things will have to be modified and yes I agree it sucks.

We will send a MAILCHIMP SURVEY to all drivers of record later today with one question and 3 possible answers to really be able to know who is coming and who is not.

The question will be simple:

NORRA wants to provide the best possible experience for its competitors. This year we've designed a great course, with more dirt and more fun! However, current Mexican health regulations will not allow us to have parties and social functions. Registration, as well as start and finish lines will be moved out of town and only racers can attend these activities. If you fly back to the U.S., you will need a negative COVID test, which you can get at the airport on the day you depart. Please answer the brief survey below and let us know what you think by Saturday, January 30.

Choices are:

Bring it on! I want to attend the 2021 Yokohama Mexican 1000

Move my entry to the 2021 NORRA 500, October 7-10

Move my entry to the 2022 Mexican 1000 scheduled for April 2022

Please drivers of record as soon as you get this survey on your email answer it and we will get results posted, if the majority of the 206 entries we have now listed say yes lets race even with social distancing and no parties we have to honor that and make it happen if everyone says let's wait we will definitely wait.

Thanks for your support and remember NORRA is a family and we will always do what is the best for all.

Regards
Eliseo Garcia
Rally Director
 
Last edited:

cavebiker

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2016
Posts
48
Reaction
149
Location
Wisconsin
Website
www.JustAdventureTravel.net
Thank you Eliseo Garcia! This is why we feel part of the NORRA family, it's like a real family.

Question, If we pick October, will it be only the 500 or will a 1000 be offered also in October? or maybe too early to tell. Whatever, we are IN!
 

CHINOLAS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2003
Posts
470
Reaction
560
Location
Ensenada, Baja, Mexico
Website
www.facebook.com
Thank you Eliseo Garcia! This is why we feel part of the NORRA family, it's like a real family.

Question, If we pick October, will it be only the 500 or will a 1000 be offered also in October? or maybe too early to tell. Whatever, we are IN!
October will be the NORRA 500, if everyone decides to wait we will have to move the Mexican 1000 until 2022 and focus on a wonderful NORRA 500.

Course for Mexican 1000 this year if everyone wants it will be in my TOP 5 of all the ones we have done, roads have not been used in almost 2 years and are in great shape, more dirt in almost all stages and great new roads south of San Felipe and Gonzaga.
 

CHINOLAS

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2003
Posts
470
Reaction
560
Location
Ensenada, Baja, Mexico
Website
www.facebook.com
Eliseo, what about moving the 1000 to October?
Travis

Rain season for Baja South is really tough in September and October usually and also this year SCORE has a peninsula run, I think that it will be difficult for teams to race or chase in October and again in November, also in 2022 we would have to return in April and it is only 6 months away.

We analyzed it too and the best option would be to have the NORRA 500 as scheduled, the only thing I can assure is that we will have a great Norra 500 in October.
 
Top