NORRA QUESTIONS ? Feel Free to Ask Here !!

ONE_RJ

Reaction
Website
www.compdoor.com
Man, It is a very tough decision to make but we would all hate for NORRA & our teams to be blamed for Covid related sickness / death regardless.
As much as I am ready to go have a great time, it wouldn’t be the same fun if we couldn’t enjoy all the festivities and interactions with all of you.

TJOHN

Reaction
This does suck... bad. However it is Baja and racing, which we all love. The dinner events each night not happening doesn’t bother me too bad because we are always busy working on the car and other logistics anyway. Not having the party at the end is really disappointing. However it’s not important enough to not go. I think we will still go. Eff Covid!

luvbaja2

Reaction
I say "Bring it ON". The slower classes don't get to participate in the days end activities anyway. The only time I got to participate was when we entered a motorcycle and left early in the morning and finished in the afternoon. Our response was " Oh this is what they are talking about"! We have a new car, 1973 VW Thing, that is ready to go. The "social aspect" takes a backseat to riding and driving all day through Baja in my opinion.

ONE_RJ

Reaction
Website
www.compdoor.com
Those are also good points guys and I agree about the dinners as we are also at the back of the finishers each day.

Eliseo - Do you really see overwhelming signs of the hospitals packed with Covid patients and death toll out of control?

I keep hearing how bad Covid is in Ensenada- Loreto , La Paz & Cabo - I have drove the peninsula 4 times last year in 2020 and flew to Cabo twice, with no problems or sense I was doing something crazy. The last driving trip was as recently as 3 weeks ago. A lot of the towns / businesses are definitely still closed up but to be honest the businesses that were open seemed like they had a good Covid plan in place and it was business as usual. San Jose Del Cabo historic district was wide open and was packed with people during Christmas / New Years time and made me feel like things were normal.
what are you seeing / hearing?
Would we be putting the NORRA name and off road community at risk?

aburruss

Reaction
I'm super conflicted on this. I want to RACE and do the peninsula run that is NORRA... but I don't know that I want to put out the time and resources if it's not the whole "NORRA experience". I've recruited a handful of people to help our team... and try to get them into the NORRA family.. but if it's not going to be the same, I'm not sure if they will come, or if I WANT them to come... *UGH*!!!!!

landshark

Reaction
Myself and my team are in for April. As stated earlier, the fun for us is racing baja and being in the Bronco. After the stage each day we are working on it getting ready for the next so wouldn’t change much for us.

I would say there is still allot of time before race day and allot can happen in the next 11 weeks. I am confident most of those things will trend toward the positive side of things.

BajaTriumph

Reaction
Very conflicted also!!! Our whole effort was to pay tribute to Sal Fish’s first race in the 1970 Mex1K, we have been ready, but without Sal feeling comfortable attending, our effort is mute! Also we have lost half of our crew due to restrictions on them and now would be extremely hard to do event. I’m all in, but it will be very difficult and just not the same Norra experience we love!!

fastcash

Reaction
Eliseo,
Hate to be in your shoes (Norra) pal. No matter which decision is made, all of the Norra community
will be disappointed in one way or another. Like the rest of this Covid mess, there are No right answers.
As bad as I want to race, the future being unknown, with so much at stake, it would be hard for me
to think the race should go on.
As you guys already know the most important thing is a quick Norra decision. Lots of plans, vacations,
reservations and deposits in play.

No matter what, this community will support the result!

On a happier note, I have watched several of your in-car race videos and wanted to say what a great
job you and your team have done. With 4ft of snow on the ground, these videos have helped me with the
long winter lock down. Keep it up.

Best of luck with Norra's choice, we are with you.

Chris Cash

Zambo

Reaction
I voted to push the race off til later. Not sure why we had to choose which would be the next race but either way, I just want to know when I'm buying hotel rooms, prepping the car, and all that other stuff that requires a ton of effort, that the race is actually going to happen and that its going to be a fun event. My guys all fly in from across the country and they have to take time off work, and they have to go back to work unencumbered, etc.

aburruss

Reaction
Course for Mexican 1000 this year if everyone wants it will be in my TOP 5 of all the ones we have done, roads have not been used in almost 2 years and are in great shape, more dirt in almost all stages and great new roads south of San Felipe and Gonzaga.
If there's enough desire to NOT to the Mexican 1000 this year, would this super cool, amazing, Top5 course get pushed to be the course for the 2022 M1K?

Then just make the 2021 course be a dumpster fire like the last 12+ months has been for racing? (3 miles special, 300 miles transit, 3 miles special, 300 miles transit, 3 miles special, 300 miles transit, 1 mile super secret special)? ;)

cavebiker

Reaction
Website
www.JustAdventureTravel.net
This has been my biggest anxiety during this whole decision process, this years Mexican 1000 "my TOP 5 of all the ones we have done" My gosh, I have always regarded Eliseo as an artiest when it comes to Baja course design, I still get chills thinking about past sections. I want to do it bad. I still have cactus in my arm ;)

Last edited:

rustyb

Reaction
I hear you, Cavebiker, I am jonesing for Baja so bad! Last year was the first year in the past 10 that I haven’t made it to Baja at all, and I miss it so much. At the same time, though, I don’t want to be irresponsible, I don’t want to get sick, I don’t want to spread it to others, and I don’t want to give my long-suffering wife one more thing to worry about when I head down to race...

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
Just had a great talk with Mike. I sure want to race Norra this year. My main reason is for the people of Baja Mexico. They need us to spend some money at the little mom and pop shops and the little hotels. They need our help bad.

PALAPABOY

Bajalite Win Streak Killer
Reaction
Those are also good points guys and I agree about the dinners as we are also at the back of the finishers each day.

Eliseo - Do you really see overwhelming signs of the hospitals packed with Covid patients and death toll out of control?

I keep hearing how bad Covid is in Ensenada- Loreto , La Paz & Cabo - I have drove the peninsula 4 times last year in 2020 and flew to Cabo twice, with no problems or sense I was doing something crazy. The last driving trip was as recently as 3 weeks ago. A lot of the towns / businesses are definitely still closed up but to be honest the businesses that were open seemed like they had a good Covid plan in place and it was business as usual. San Jose Del Cabo historic district was wide open and was packed with people during Christmas / New Years time and made me feel like things were normal.
Yes people are getting COVID in Baja and few deaths from it. I am told that more are going homeless and hungry. If we don’t race this year we need to start a Baja fund It’s hard however it goes some will be happy and some won’t

CHINOLAS

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com

Rick

Sorry for not responding earlier, I just got back from a full peninsula course scouting trip, I really needed that to be honest, Hospitals are around 50% capacity according to what we found out in each town, people is really wearing masks everywhere and looking at each other, restaurants have reduced occupancy by removing tables, hotels are cleaning and disinfecting facilities all day round, so the bottom line is Baja is alive and open at least until last week.

I am really expecting everyone to help us out and rescue this event by coming down in 2021, we need it and i know that a lot of you guys are desperate to come down, if you decide to say yes we go even without parties we would really appreciate, it will be only for 2021 and also in 3 months we expect it to be way safer than now and might be able to have an awards party with limited seating and Covid Mitigation plan.

Thanks.

Manx Mike

Reaction
I like others have crew members that cannot afford to go through the qaurentine process when they return so they have to back out, I may be able to put together a small support crew to make it happen. while you won't be able to have the gatherings each night, my next question/concern revolves around obtaining food at night especially in BofLA where there aren't a lot choices, and the fact that's part of the crew wristband cost. Is there a plan, even if it's take out for nightly meals? What ever NORRA decides, it will be a tough call, We're behind you you no matter what.

ONE_RJ

Reaction
Website
www.compdoor.com
Eliseo,
Are you able to change my vote to yes , race in 2021?
I just came back from KOH in Lucerne Valley. Dave Cole & staff have done an amazing job at keeping Covid awareness under control. I know Baja Mexico is also practicing safe protocol and i feel NORRA will implement safety for us and the people of Mexico. Covid is obviously here to stay and the businesses need the financial support so count us in.