• Forum membership has its advantages....

NORRA QUESTIONS ? Feel Free to Ask Here !!

I will play with the Inreach some and see how easy it is. I will take any stickers and goodies anyone wants to send. We have been collecting stuff for the Mexican kids last year. One of the crew is big into that. Last 1000 she gave away over 100 beanie babies she got from some work promotion or ?? Send to Dick 9150 S Talon Ln Boise Idaho 83709

CHINOLAS

I topped off in San Juanico last year, was a solid Pemex w/ no issues at that time. It is Mexico and everything's subject to change.
Chris are you 100% sure, I went there a month ago and refueled at a stand that sells by the gallon in San Juanico (Scorpion Bay), In La Purisima there is a Pemex with a big tank, is that maybe the one you mean.

TRAVISD

Can we get faster cars to start where they belong each day?

CHINOLAS

Can we get faster cars to start where they belong each day?
View attachment 209847
Travis, if a Fast car has a Bad day and you driving a slower truck where faster than him on the prior day he needs to request a bump on the start order for safety, I cannot bump everyone just because they have a faster car; just because you might have a fast car does not mean you are a fast driver and that is way more dangerous.

I always tell everyone on the drivers meeting to request a better start position if they had a bad day, and a lot of fast drivers do that almost every day for safety, hope you understand that I cannot do this automatically, it needs to be requested by the fast driver.

If you have a solution to this please share your thoughts and we might make it better, I am always open to new ideas and solutions.

See you soon.

sredish

Chris are you 100% sure, I went there a month ago and refueled at a stand that sells by the gallon in San Juanico (Scorpion Bay)
I'm double checking right now, maybe my memory is serving me wrong, not getting any younger here. As always with Baja, I plan on never getting fuel then if you find some, you're even more golden.

Just contacted a buddy down there. No fuel in San Juanico right now, unless you get to the box truck while they still have some.

Last edited:

sredish

Just to chime in, realizing it won't be exactly what you want but if you have two Garmin InReach+, one in chase, one in race you can pair them with a phone, ipad etc and receive position updates via each other. I don't believe they will do automatic position updates from each other - however they can send positional updates to each other manually from anywhere. It sounds complicated but its not. Essentially you can text each other with automatic position info without having to type anything but hitting "send" on a contact in your phone.

They will also do automatic position updates every 10, 5 or 2 minutes however it sends them to garmin and you get a browser link to a map - not helpful if your in a chase truck in the middle of baja. I am trying to figure out how to send automatic position updates to another Garmin device....
In regards to InReach, I "never leave home without it"... I use the InReach mini. As said, you can text any phone number anywhere at any time. If you go for the basic $14/mth package; you can text anyone but it costs like a buck or you can use the auto text function for free. You can connect it to your phone via BT and text from the phone like a regular messages app.

If you go for a little higher package, you can get free texts as well. You can also text any garmin as well so you if your other crew has the garmin, you're both out of reach, you can still communicate through that. It will, based on your how you choose what it sends, attach a google map link and GPS coordinates.

So, if I'm out of reach and your out of reach (think race and chase), we can still text through the garmin and receive each others GPS coordinates for the low price of $14/mth. You can also text your wife, family. You can SOS if your super remote like a SPOT tracker as well. You can have it breadcrumb and send periodic updates based on time if you choose.

They are very versatile items that honestly everyone should have. I use it in Vegas at the Mint if I get in a bad spot. I keep it in the truck and activated always and not sure how I got by in Baja before I had one. We've used it several times to find a race car at the Baja 1000.

TRAVISD

Travis, if a Fast car has a Bad day and you driving a slower truck where faster than him on the prior day he needs to request a bump on the start order for safety, I cannot bump everyone just because they have a faster car; just because you might have a fast car does not mean you are a fast driver and that is way more dangerous.

I always tell everyone on the drivers meeting to request a better start position if they had a bad day, and a lot of fast drivers do that almost every day for safety, hope you understand that I cannot do this automatically, it needs to be requested by the fast driver.

If you have a solution to this please share your thoughts and we might make it better, I am always open to new ideas and solutions.

See you soon.

Eliseo, I completely understand. I just want you to know and see what we have to deal with when faster cars pass us. If they would not stomp on the gas immediately would be awesome, but I know that is a pipe dream. LOL

Zambo

What's the deal with the Safari class? I didn't see anything about it other than you can register for it. I think I recall that its basically like a trail ride or prerun that goes down the course the day before the actual race? Or is it something else?

Fourstroker

What's the deal with the Safari class? I didn't see anything about it other than you can register for it. I think I recall that its basically like a trail ride or prerun that goes down the course the day before the actual race? Or is it something else?
You got the gist of it. They take a lot more pavement and only the easy sections. Last year they had so few sign upit was cancelled last minute. A buddy that was supposed to do it ended up running sweep for the bikes and got His hotels paid, etc.

yachtman

Chris,
Thank you for taking my call and quick reply here, at 60/ 65 mile range for fuel pits, that pushing my UTV right to its max! 9.5 gal tank @ 7 mpg= 66.5. Miss it somehow and were dead in the water. Don't really like the ideal of carrier a can (jug) of gas as a spare. Just not safe. I'm not sure what others are getting( MPG ). this is for the stock UTV turbo class.
Once again thank you ,Dan Cornwell

jeff

Chris,
Thank you for taking my call and quick reply here, at 60/ 65 mile range for fuel pits, that pushing my UTV right to its max! 9.5 gal tank @ 7 mpg= 66.5. Miss it somehow and were dead in the water. Don't really like the ideal of carrier a can (jug) of gas as a spare. Just not safe. I'm not sure what others are getting( MPG ). this is for the stock UTV turbo class.
Dan - Fuel has always been an issue for the stock UTV's. If your range is that short you'll want to purchase fuel ahead of time from MAG-7 and then go with your own PLAN B. We carried 2 x Rotopax fuel jugs inside the car that were mounted a good distance from the exhaust / turbo. We had to carry fuel as there was no way the car could make it any other way. Back in 2018 I ran the final race stage of Day 4 with ZERO fuel bars on the dash for miles and miles because we had burned a lot more fuel HAULING ASS on the smooth road along the ocean than we had planned on.

Regarding the fuel inside the car... we rationalized the Rotopax wasn't that much "less safe" than the factory gas tank. The factory tank is plastic and mounted right in front of the passenger footwell. In an accident the Rotopax should have a better level of crash worthiness than the factory tank so we decided that because the factory tank was basically a bomb in its own right the extra fuel we carried in the Rotopax wasn't really the death sentence some made it out to be. We eliminated carrying any fuel near or above the engine because we've all seen too many cars burn up because of fuel running down to the hot exhaust / turbo and starting a catastrophic fire.

Aloha

fastcash

Chris,
Yachtman,
Believe me, we understand the fuel issue, we are now in the modified class because of it.

Last year we fell victim to the Mag 7 splash pit located in the wrong spot. (Just a Baja situation, no body's fault).
Our car was hauling ass thru the stage, we passed our sister car early, (identical XX's). When we came to a screeching halt
at around 80 miles, our sister car rolled up on us and towed us for another 15 or so miles. I felt bad for them and disconnected
the tow strap. After another hour or so a Xp1000 came by and offered us a tow, we made it to Mag 7 at 105 miles
about 3hrs late. Both tow Ute's had decided to conserve fuel right from the start as part of their race strategy.
Lesson learned (maybe!).
Later we were able to pay the XP guys back with a place to sleep in Baja de Los Angeles when their chase crew (Dad)
never made it until the next morning. You can't make this stuff up!

After that day we saw several Ute's carrying extra fuel, many in very unsafe containers/locations. Jeff (above) used Rotopax, maybe
the safest alternative. I have used fuel bladders for long Dual-Sport rides. As long as their stored/stowed well they are a very
good Plan B.

Of course, extra fuel is not allowed to be carried so there's that.

The Norra 1000, more than many other races needs alot of planning/strategy, that's part of the game, let me know
when you figure it out (LOL).
Chris

Zambo

At the end of the day you gotta know your car and what it can do. 65 miles, if the pits are set up where they are supposed to be, should be doable for anybody. If you have to lift a tad to make it then so be it. These little motors really have a wide range of mpg...I can easily get 11-12mpg prerunning but when you hold it WFO for long periods of time that gas disappears real quick. What takes longer....backing off a bit to save some gas or pulling over to drag out a fuel jug and dump it in the car?

yachtman

I can make it work, I didn't want to run a SCORE PRO STOCK in the modified Turbo Class , this thing is 95% stock with the exception of the fuel cell. I just wanted to make it as safe as I can as its going to have a girl team running it. and one of them is my daughter. I sure NORRA"S team will have it all work out. and we will all have fun and be safe. and thanks for all the good input

fastcash

I can make it work, I didn't want to run a SCORE PRO STOCK in the modified Turbo Class , this thing is 95% stock with the exception of the fuel cell. I just wanted to make it as safe as I can as its going to have a girl team running it. and one of them is my daughter. I sure NORRA"S team will have it all work out. and we will all have fun and be safe. and thanks for all the good input
yachtman,
Most likely we'll be behind them to help if needed. ?#$&**. That machine should be a good combination for
a safe 1000 finisher.
Yell if you need help, we should have 3 chase teams.
Chris, Idaho Off Road Racers (IDORRS)

wayne matlock

A stock Polaris Turbo S can not go more than 55 miles at race pace on a stock tank. I was on the phone with Eliseo last week and was told that the pits would be no more than 50 to 55 miles apart. And now i'm on here reading that they are going to be 65 miles apart? What is it going to be?
The biggest question I have is, are we allowed to carry extra fuel in containers or not when racing in the stock UTV class? And if not, will you be penalizing teams with extra fuel containers?
Not trying to be a pain in the ass, I would just like it spelled out for everyone.