• Forum membership has its advantages....

NORRA QUESTIONS ? Feel Free to Ask Here !!

wayne matlock

Fuel consumption is a thing even in the biggest racing series. Nascar, Indy, etc... Are you special?
You are obviously on here just to stir the pot and have nothing constructive to add.

And to answer your question...........................Nope, not special at all!!!

We are racing a stock UTV in the stock UTV class, the fuel consumption is what it is from the manufacture.

Not sure why me asking how far apart the pits are or if we are allowed to carry extra fuel containers is implying that i,m "special". This is a public forum, so clearly i'm not asking just for me. I'm asking the question so everyone is on the same page and we all know what to expect. The main reason I asked is because last year was a mess with the pit service. Everyone was running out of gas, then people started carrying gas cans. We were forced to throw a gas can in the back seat and race that way just to make it to the pits. The rules state no extra fuel in the stock class, but everyone had extra fuel containers. Again, I just want it spelled out so we are "all" on the same page.

Bro_Gill

The point was, Wayne, that other teams will be dealing with the same issue, so as some have said, tone down the race speed a bit and mileage goes up. Or, ask the promoter to make a special change for you and move the pits. Which sounds fair to everyone? Will the YXZ or the Canam have the problem going 65 miles? Race teams use fuel mileage as strategy when racing. They adapt, improvise, and overcome. I am not stirring up anything, I was TELLING you to maybe slow down a bit at the front of a stage to make the mileage that the promoter is using. But never mind.

wayne matlock

The point was, Wayne, that other teams will be dealing with the same issue, so as some have said, tone down the race speed a bit and mileage goes up. Or, ask the promoter to make a special change for you and move the pits. Which sounds fair to everyone? Will the YXZ or the Canam have the problem going 65 miles? Race teams use fuel mileage as strategy when racing. They adapt, improvise, and overcome. I am not stirring up anything, I was TELLING you to maybe slow down a bit at the front of a stage to make the mileage that the promoter is using. But never mind.
The problem that you are not seeing is that last year we were told the mileages before the race and prepared for that. Then come race day the pits were way off, up to 30 miles on one of them. How do you plan a fuel strategy when the numbers change??? I am asking these questions because so far in the last week the race director has told me no more than 50 miles on the phone, then on here it is stated that 65 miles will be the spread.
We had a blast last year at this event, so much so that we are racing two cars this year. Eliseo and his team does an amazing job putting on this race, one of the best I have seen. I am bringing this up because a lot of teams were unhappy about the fuel situation last year. And like Dan said it can be easily solved by letting us legally carry extra fuel container. I'm not asking for a special change, I'm asking for clarification so we can ALL be prepared. I am trying to help insure that everyone has a fun time and can be competitive.

Last edited:

mgobaja

Last year, from Bay of LA to El Arco, there were a few UTV's stopped, with signs asking for fuel. I am recalling maybe 4 to 6 of them in that situation.

Bro_Gill

No, trying to help you out. Apparently you don't need it. I can say this- A friend has a turbo 4 seater that we have prerun in. And yes, fuel mileage is a HUGE issue. 65 miles at prerun speeds is pushing it with the stock tank. But I do not tell promoters to keep loops or lengths of course under 50 miles so the stock fuel tank is not an issue. And wouldn't do that in a racer either. Put a fuel cell in and don't worry about it, slow down and conserve a little fuel on this fun run down the peninsula, or have your own fuel plan and guys to handle it.

jeff

@Bro_Gill --- The problem is if you install a fuel cell with a capacity greater than the stock tank you immediately move to the Modified (aka OPEN) UTV class. Jumping from Stock to Modified is a "YUGE" difference. So for a lot of UTV's that's not really an appealing option.

Aloha

wayne matlock

No, trying to help you out. Apparently you don't need it. I can say this- A friend has a turbo 4 seater that we have prerun in. And yes, fuel mileage is a HUGE issue. 65 miles at prerun speeds is pushing it with the stock tank. But I do not tell promoters to keep loops or lengths of course under 50 miles so the stock fuel tank is not an issue. And wouldn't do that in a racer either. Put a fuel cell in and don't worry about it, slow down and conserve a little fuel on this fun run down the peninsula, or have your own fuel plan and guys to handle it.
So you say that you would "put a fuel cell in". The rules state that we have to use the stock fuel tank per class rules. They also state no extra fuel in the car. In your own words, you said that "65 miles at prerun speeds was pushing it". This is a race and not a prerun. So at race pace 65 mile is not doable at all. The way it is set up right now half the field would be out of gas if they followed the rules. So yes, it is a HUGE issue!!!

Maybe now you will see the issue we have. I did not ask these questions for just myself or to start a pissing match with you. I asked because there were a lot of unhappy people last year regarding the pits that were laid out by NORRA. I have a ton of respect for Eliseo and the rest of the people in the NORRA organization, they do an amazing job. This is by far my favorite race of the year, that is why I am asking the questions and making suggestions. If people don't ask questions or make suggestions nothing will change or improve!!!

yachtman

OK so all NORRA needs to do is to let STOCK UTV class run a larger tank. Right? Come on ,having to fuel up every 50 to 65 miles is just BS, its a 1300 race. I don't want to have to worries about my chase truck not making or the Mag 7 pit not being there. Its a simple fit, a SAFE fix , a bigger tank of fuel!!! Thats not going to make a stock UTV go any faster, just not run out of Gas.

notime

NTR Films media guy
Same question here but on the bike side, running a ATV and sure with the IMS tank on our TRX700 can do more than 60 miles maybe?

Wayne do you remind how far you can get when you race those

Bro_Gill

So you say that you would "put a fuel cell in". The rules state that we have to use the stock fuel tank per class rules. They also state no extra fuel in the car. In your own words, you said that "65 miles at prerun speeds was pushing it". This is a race and not a prerun. So at race pace 65 mile is not doable at all. The way it is set up right now half the field would be out of gas if they followed the rules. So yes, it is a HUGE issue!!!

Maybe now you will see the issue we have. I did not ask these questions for just myself or to start a pissing match with you. I asked because there were a lot of unhappy people last year regarding the pits that were laid out by NORRA. I have a ton of respect for Eliseo and the rest of the people in the NORRA organization, they do an amazing job. This is by far my favorite race of the year, that is why I am asking the questions and making suggestions. If people don't ask questions or make suggestions nothing will change or improve!!!
Drive slower, It's not a race. Ask the Insurance supplier.

Bro_Gill

Well, I have spoken to the guys who created it, Guess what they say. And there is a reason I say it is not a race.

CHINOLAS

A stock Polaris Turbo S can not go more than 55 miles at race pace on a stock tank. I was on the phone with Eliseo last week and was told that the pits would be no more than 50 to 55 miles apart. And now i'm on here reading that they are going to be 65 miles apart? What is it going to be?
The biggest question I have is, are we allowed to carry extra fuel in containers or not when racing in the stock UTV class? And if not, will you be penalizing teams with extra fuel containers?
Not trying to be a pain in the ass, I would just like it spelled out for everyone.
GUYS we where planning on 65 miles for each splash pit on the stages that are longer than that but we can change it to 55 if that is what you need, Mag 7 has been very helpful and willing to do anything we need to make it work.

Teams carrying fuel will be disqualified from the race, we cannot allow this to happen for your own safety.

Currently I am in Loreto working on the course and I am including all Splash pits every 65 miles on the roadbook, and Mag 7 will have GPS locations to be exact where they need to be, if we are changing to 55 we have enough time to recalculate everything and add pits if we need to.

This year every Stock UTV team, Turbo and Non Turbo will have to register with Mag 7 and pay for the fuel they will need in each Splash pit, Fuel will be added 1 dollar per gallon to cover for fuel transport according to Mag 7 and NORRA will pay for the Full Service to Mag 7 a $ 250 dlls value that Stock UTV teams will not have to pay.

Please just let me know if 55 miles will be enough and I will make it happen.

A racer alert will be sent soon to all Stock UTV entries about this and I will personally call all of you guys to answer any questions you might have.