NORRA Spencer Low Hard Charger Award

SLR

Reaction
The inaugural Hard Charger Trophy, in memory of Spencer Low, will be awarded at next week’s NORRA
Mexican 1000. The trophy was hand-crafted by his son Spencer Ryan Low and was designed to
commemorate Spencer’s Overall Challenger Class win in 2018. Exemplifying the talent and tenacity
necessary to earn the “Hard Charger” title, Spencer finished 17th overall after starting in 240 th position in
that race.
A cash prize of $2,250 will also be awarded to this year’s recipient. Sponsors of the award include many
familiar names in the off-road community, including: Palapa Boy Racing (the Dague Family), TCS (the
Torque Converter Shop), Rusty’s Off-Road, Fox’s Resort and the Spencer Low Family.
The elder Low, whose off-road racing participation spanned five decades, passed away earlier this year
while spectating at The King of the Hammers event. At the time of his death, Low was planning to
campaign for the overall win at the 2020 NORRA Mexican 1000.

Attachments

SLR

Reaction
The inaugural Hard Charger Trophy, in memory of Spencer Low, will be awarded at next week’s NORRA
Mexican 1000. The trophy was hand-crafted by his son Spencer Ryan Low and was designed to
commemorate Spencer’s Overall Challenger Class win in 2018. Exemplifying the talent and tenacity
necessary to earn the “Hard Charger” title, Spencer finished 17th overall after starting in 240 th position in
that race.
A cash prize of $2,250 will also be awarded to this year’s recipient. Sponsors of the award include many
familiar names in the off-road community, including: Palapa Boy Racing (the Dague Family), TCS (the
Torque Converter Shop), Rusty’s Off-Road, Fox’s Resort and the Spencer Low Family.
The elder Low, whose off-road racing participation spanned five decades, passed away earlier this year
while spectating at The King of the Hammers event. At the time of his death, Low was planning to
campaign for the overall win at the 2020 NORRA Mexican 1000.
Our last years tire sponsor TRI ACE tires has offered the winner of the Spencer Low Hard Charger Award (4) Dakar Rally Mark Ma tires 33"-39"

We ran 1369 miles last year with zero flats, a very durable and well engineered tire.

My family appreciates the continued support from the Tri Ace Family

Last edited:

TrophyBurro

Reaction
The tri ace did so well for us also. We only had 1 flat and I hit a huge sharp rock. I am so impressed

ConnieU

Reaction
The presentation of this award at the NORRA 1000 brought me to tears. So sorry for your loss but a great way to keep his memory alive.

Rennsport Group

Reaction
Wanted to share what a touching and moving moment it was to earn the inaugural 2019 NORRA Spencer Low Hard Charger" award with the Low family on Friday night. This was not an individual award, but it honored the team that moved up the highest rankings in the vintage NORRA classes for 2019. I was just part of a relentless BFG Team Rennsport driving effort that included Ron DeWolf, Brian Coats and Justin Blower, as well as crew chief Paul Perrizo and our hard working crew.

We had a tough couple of years at NORRA since our team reformed in 2016, but the addition of a Weddle gearbox fixed our transmission issues while allowing us to keep the vintage look and VW powerplant in the car. After a tough Day 1 with no navigation in the car, we went from 154th to 20th overall, and second in class to Casey Mears and his Chenowth DR-2.

Earning this award was a highlight and a truly historic honor for our entire team. It was much more than an award, it was as if Spencer was riding with us all along...

With gratitude and thanks,
Marty