Norra Stock Turbo S (rzr) build help

highroad

Looking for advice on rzr turbo S upgrades/spares to try for a finish in the Norra 1000 this year.
I’ve read the suggestion to build and test to figure out weak points, but I need a little help as our first “race” will be the Norra and we are hoping to finish!

If we “play race” the event, will gusseting suspension/bulkheads be enough, or should I go straight to HCR Dualsport arms?

What about axles/cv’s? Take spares or upgrade before race?

Cooler upgrades?
Skid plates?

Obviously if we do something stupid, or hit something, all bets are off, but just trying to enjoy the race and finish.

Thanks,
Brent

jon coleman

more specifically theres a lot of info I've read here on sxs set ups, eng leave stock and break it in right, when u can out- drive the hp , step up to next eng. hp level, skid plates done Right are the cheapest- best race upgrade!( ask cls 11 guys....

fastcash

Looking for advice on rzr turbo S upgrades/spares to try for a finish in the Norra 1000 this year.
I’ve read the suggestion to build and test to figure out weak points, but I need a little help as our first “race” will be the Norra and we are hoping to finish!

If we “play race” the event, will gusseting suspension/bulkheads be enough, or should I go straight to HCR Dualsport arms?

What about axles/cv’s? Take spares or upgrade before race?

Cooler upgrades?
Skid plates?

Obviously if we do something stupid, or hit something, all bets are off, but just trying to enjoy the race and finish.

Thanks,
Brent
highroad,

We were in the same place last year for the Norra 1000, what to do to finish. The faster you want to go, the more mods
you have to do. We witnessed a "bone stock" RZR 4 seater finish the race just fine at a slower pace with no repairs.

Go over the entire car with a torque wrench, lube suspension, ck every hose clamp, plug in every electrical connection.

Protection for the body: skids and mudflaps are a good idea, as is shock protection.

Absolutely KNOW your fuel range at your intended pace, and KEEP your pace!

Spend money and time on navigation (Lowrance and Leadnav) and navigator Training. Important!

Bring the appropriate spares, axles, tie-rods, oils, filters, belts. See what other Turbo S guys are breaking.

It still comes down to, if you are driving at 80% you are way less likely to crash or overstress the car and
can finish the race. Norra is a great experience for friends and family (put people in the car that have never
raced and you will have sponsor's for life). Good luck, Chris.

highroad

Chris,
Thank you for the information, nice to hear about other stock machines finishing! Hoping to get this figured out and make it happen.
Brent

fastcash

Chris,
Thank you for the information, nice to hear about other stock machines finishing! Hoping to get this figured out and make it happen.
Brent
Brent,
We will be racing the Norra 1000 with lots of people, tools and spares. Be happy to help with
anything you need.
Chris

highroad

Awesome Chris, really appreciate the help. I was just offered a 10 car to race, so it looks like I will not be in a sxs.........registered for the Norra tonight and am looking forward to meeting you!

Brent

fastcash

Awesome Chris, really appreciate the help. I was just offered a 10 car to race, so it looks like I will not be in a sxs.........registered for the Norra tonight and am looking forward to meeting you!

Brent
Brent,
That's great news pal, see you at the Norra. Your going to have a great time.
Chris

jeff

As stated if driven prudently a stock SxS will finish the NORRA. So the modifications you make will all be based on how aggressively you want to be able to drive. We took an almost bone stock X3 Max to NORRA in 2018 and other than ride height and clutching issues the car ran great and finished strong. We didn't even grenade 1 belt. For 2019 the car was completely gone through and now we can drive it as fast as our body is willing to put up with. We broke aftermarket axles (I won't name the manufacturer) like it was fashionable to do so. The MASSIVE undertaking between the Stock and Modified class jump cost a lot of $$$$$.$$ but it was worth it. The car flat out scoots now. For 2020 we're refining the car again and hope to make it even faster and more reliable. But if I had to guess the initial purchase price of the car new ($29k) has now been doubled.

My short list for a let's have some fun and finish NORRA would the following...

Tires. You've got to have some sort of Baja capable tire and it needs to work well on pavement. Mexican pavement.

Proper ride height. Too low and you drag your ass and you ruin things. Too high and the CV's get angry.

IR Belt Temp Sensor. Worth it's weight in gold. With the temp sensor you can usually prevent a catastrophic belt failure. We didn't run with one in 2018 (we didn't know!) and now we wouldn't start a race without it.

Lowrance GPS / LeadNav / Stella. You'll want a backup battery pack for the iPad in case your electronics go awry. If the car is still running an iPad charging off a portable charge device is sufficient for navigating.

Spares:
Belts. Bring more than you think. They are light and easy to pack in the car.

Air filters. Unless you run an SBC or similar you'll want to bring 2 spares. One for dirt and one in case it gets wet.

Axles shafts. We've found that a properly prepped FACTORY axle shaft is pretty hard to beat without spending mega money on RCV's or something high end. Skip the China junk that companies are selling as "2.0" times stronger than stock. That's a load of crap. A basic axle prep on a stock axle means disassembling the CV's and thoroughly cleaning them and then packing them with a proper grease. A real prep is probably better left to someone like Summer Bros. Boot failure can be somewhat common so having enough FULL spares ready to install means you can skip having to rebuild something during the race. That is nice. I'd say skip carrying any front axle spares in the car... a RZR can tackle anything NORRA can throw at you in 2wd. Rear axle spares are like gold to our team now. This year we're going to carry 2 rear axles in the car and no fronts. After breaking 2 rear axles last year the car had to run 160 miles on ONE rear axle to finish day 3. That was no bueno. In fact it was so bad we had to borrow a rear axle last year to run day 4 / 5 (thanks Dave Sykes!). When we ran in 2018 we didn't break a single FACTORY Can-Am axle / cv / boot.

Suspension... The suspension weaknesses of the Polaris and Can-Am is pretty well known so what you elect to upgrade all comes down to the driver. Want to go fast and hit stuff? Well you better either upgrade now or bring spares of everything. Or plan on borrowing something from another racer.

2nd battery was a good upgrade. With all the new crap we installed the stock battery didn't cut it. Upgrading to 2 batteries is smart if you have room.

Skid plates? That depends on the ground clearance. We DESTROYED the factory skid plate during the 2018 race. The stock springs fatigued and we chased ride height problems all race. The bottom of the car was hammered so for 2019 a new aluminum skid plate was installed. After 1000+ miles the new skid plate looks PERFECT because the tire size increase and ride height change kept the bottom of the car from dragging. So I'd say if your ride height is decent and you aren't bottoming easily the skid plates aren't super critical. Stock should be sufficient if ride height is sufficient.

Cooler / ICE for proper beer or beverages. Sometimes the stuff they hand out at the finish line each day leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Aloha

CHINOLAS

As stated if driven prudently a stock SxS will finish the NORRA. So the modifications you make will all be based on how aggressively you want to be able to drive. We took an almost bone stock X3 Max to NORRA in 2018 and other than ride height and clutching issues the car ran great and finished strong. We didn't even grenade 1 belt. For 2019 the car was completely gone through and now we can drive it as fast as our body is willing to put up with. We broke aftermarket axles (I won't name the manufacturer) like it was fashionable to do so. The MASSIVE undertaking between the Stock and Modified class jump cost a lot of $$$$$.$$ but it was worth it. The car flat out scoots now. For 2020 we're refining the car again and hope to make it even faster and more reliable. But if I had to guess the initial purchase price of the car new ($29k) has now been doubled.

My short list for a let's have some fun and finish NORRA would the following...

Tires. You've got to have some sort of Baja capable tire and it needs to work well on pavement. Mexican pavement.

Proper ride height. Too low and you drag your ass and you ruin things. Too high and the CV's get angry.

IR Belt Temp Sensor. Worth it's weight in gold. With the temp sensor you can usually prevent a catastrophic belt failure. We didn't run with one in 2018 (we didn't know!) and now we wouldn't start a race without it.

Lowrance GPS / LeadNav / Stella. You'll want a backup battery pack for the iPad in case your electronics go awry. If the car is still running an iPad charging off a portable charge device is sufficient for navigating.

Spares:
Belts. Bring more than you think. They are light and easy to pack in the car.

Air filters. Unless you run an SBC or similar you'll want to bring 2 spares. One for dirt and one in case it gets wet.

Axles shafts. We've found that a properly prepped FACTORY axle shaft is pretty hard to beat without spending mega money on RCV's or something high end. Skip the China junk that companies are selling as "2.0" times stronger than stock. That's a load of crap. A basic axle prep on a stock axle means disassembling the CV's and thoroughly cleaning them and then packing them with a proper grease. A real prep is probably better left to someone like Summer Bros. Boot failure can be somewhat common so having enough FULL spares ready to install means you can skip having to rebuild something during the race. That is nice. I'd say skip carrying any front axle spares in the car... a RZR can tackle anything NORRA can throw at you in 2wd. Rear axle spares are like gold to our team now. This year we're going to carry 2 rear axles in the car and no fronts. After breaking 2 rear axles last year the car had to run 160 miles on ONE rear axle to finish day 3. That was no bueno. In fact it was so bad we had to borrow a rear axle last year to run day 4 / 5 (thanks Dave Sykes!). When we ran in 2018 we didn't break a single FACTORY Can-Am axle / cv / boot.

Suspension... The suspension weaknesses of the Polaris and Can-Am is pretty well known so what you elect to upgrade all comes down to the driver. Want to go fast and hit stuff? Well you better either upgrade now or bring spares of everything. Or plan on borrowing something from another racer.

2nd battery was a good upgrade. With all the new crap we installed the stock battery didn't cut it. Upgrading to 2 batteries is smart if you have room.

Skid plates? That depends on the ground clearance. We DESTROYED the factory skid plate during the 2018 race. The stock springs fatigued and we chased ride height problems all race. The bottom of the car was hammered so for 2019 a new aluminum skid plate was installed. After 1000+ miles the new skid plate looks PERFECT because the tire size increase and ride height change kept the bottom of the car from dragging. So I'd say if your ride height is decent and you aren't bottoming easily the skid plates aren't super critical. Stock should be sufficient if ride height is sufficient.

Cooler / ICE for proper beer or beverages. Sometimes the stuff they hand out at the finish line each day leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Aloha
Jeff

Thanks for all your suggestions, it makes me so happy to read this post and see how racers help racers thru this forum.

Brent
Please let me know if you need any info from Norra regarding anything, we are here to help.

Eliseo Garcia
Mexican 1000 Race Director