NORRA to focus more on Vintage and Limited Classes

Chris_Wilson

For the 2018 Mexican 1000, NORRA will be splitting the Evolution Unlimited category into two categories:
Evolution Unlimited Trucks (solid rear axle)
Evolution Unlimited Buggy (Independent Rear Suspension)

For the 2019 Mexican 1000, NORRA will be eliminating the Evolution Unlimited Truck category.
Also for 2019, all categories in all eras will be limited to a maximum tire diameter of 37" as branded by the manufacturer (except where specific category rules specify a smaller tire size).

So as of 2019, no tires bigger than 37" in any category and no more modern Trophy Trucks.
NORRA continues to offer significant discounts to the motos, utv's and the four (4) 1600cc classes which are the original old school budget classes.

Keep restoring those old desert racers, NORRA has a home (and a race track) for you!

TROPHYSEDAN

Are they gonna do a race in the states. Parker. Lucerne.
Looking forward to this year. Thank you.

Rory

Crayola Killer

Chris_Wilson

Imagine this (just a dream)...Vegas-Cabo-Vegas
Vegas to Cabo, very possible by allowing trailers during the transit stages north of the border.
Then a rest day on the La Paz to Mainland car ferry, aka The Biggest Off-road Party EVER!
Then race back to Las Vegas on the mainland, again allowing for trailer transits north of the border.
Would take a $10k entry fee to pull it off. Who's in at that price?

LantanaTX

This is great news! Way to go NORRA. last year we avoided 90% of the boulders the TT's knock onto the course. The other 10% took it toll on our car. We built a new car to help deal with the worsening course conditions. Is larger and larger tires really an advantage and good for the sport? Bigger tires just make bigger holes and woops and would seem the initial advantage is only temporary while hurting the grass roots racers. Look at how many class 11 cars finish the Baja 1000 these days.

I would love to see NORRA become the premier vintage race in the US. right now it is probably the Mint but that place was pretty destructive this year on the vintage cars. How about Caliente? NORRA annual class Championship?

Last edited:

TRichards

Will the Historic truck and truggy class still be in existence? 20 years or older. i believe Mark Post runs this class.

Fourstroker

What happens when a 39 inch tires says 37 on the sidewall?
Sounds just like the UTV tire game. Tire must be printed no larger than 32" on sidewall. Some of them are 35's.

Chris_Wilson

Norra took a survey at tech regarding a few things including tire size. In the coming weeks Norra will analyze the results of the survey and consider all options before making any change to tire size rules. Nothing is decided yet on rule changes.

Bro_Gill

Anyone who has built a new vintage car to the newer rules rather than run what was available size wise back in the day is going to vote to stay bigger. I can tell you your survey results right now.

No tire larger than that of a 1963 Pontiac-Superior Ambulance.

LantanaTX

I wasn't surveyed but I think 37" max on the unlimited class would keep us old vintage cars coming back each year.

ACME

Disclaimer: No skin in the vintage game.

When we started car racing in the late 80's and into the early 90's (if i remember correctly, because we were poor limited class folk)... It was really rare to see any 37's and I don't really remember any until the TT/C8 wars started in the 90's, 35's were the norm and only a very select few ran anything larger.

I rode in a CL8 and remember having to change a 35 and thinking WTF, who needs this big a tire and a friends C5 we helped and I raced once, was on SuperDiggers. As was Rodney Inches Class 4 Honcho and all of the Class 10's(now 12's) that we pitted with. We also helped and pitted for a few C1's back in the day and all I can remember but 1 were on 33's.

It seems if you really want to keep it "vintage" and not "tear up the course": It should be 35's on c1's and anything other than maybe a vintage TT or Wahzoo-high end era correct Class 8, unless the goal is to appease the few cars on 37's. I'd also suggest 33's on anything with a beam that is trying to be vintage, otherwise it'd be an evo class deal as there were no real 35" options anyone ran until later. In fact well into the 2000's most of the class 10's used 33's. Until BFG made the new 35's, VERY FEW ran 35's other than a few guys on MT's, but then we didn't have Ecotechs in every class either...

y2kbaja

And measure the tire with a ruler or tape, not read the sidewall.

jeff

And measure the tire with a ruler or tape, not read the sidewall.
At what air pressure? The 37" size stamped on my BFG's will measure less than 35" @ 0 psi. So what pressure do you require when measuring the height?

It will be a fine line between making the shorter tire equipped classes happy without preventing too many of the larger tire classes from running. Unfortunately it probably comes down to what makes more money for NORRA.. 10 limited tire size teams leaving because of deep ruts or 30 larger tire size teams paying the full entry fee? Taking a vehicle from 39's to 37's is probably doable... expensive but doable. Taking a truck from 39's to 35's would be tough. Even going from 37's to 35's might be more work than it would be worth to run one NORRA event each year.

Our team for the 2018 NORRA consisted of 2 cars. One on 39's and a 4-seat Can-Am on 32" tires. Our Can-Am fought spring fatigue issues that resulted in a maximum of 10" inches of ground clearance and a minimum of around 6". We were far enough back that most of the big trucks and buggies had left their mark on the race course... the course was, shall we say, well defined. Our UTV skid plate got so hammered by rocks and ruts that it ended up turning itself into a scoop for dirt, silt, rocks and plants. We dumped over 10 gallons of dirt and rock out of the driver and passenger foot well after Day 2 in Bay of LA. Day 2 being one of the easiest days of the event. Even on small tires and with limited ground clearance the Can-Am was a blast to run down the peninsula. Would it have been nice if the ruts weren't as deep? Probably. Did the ruts slow us down in some sections? Absolutely Will you find me signing a petition suggesting a maximum 35" tire be run for NORRA 2019? Nope. If a UTV with a 135" wheelbase and 6" of ground clearance at the lower arms can make it to the finish line I think just about anything can.

Aloha

TRichards

I guess the easiest answer is when did the project 39" tire come out? Probably sometimes in the mid 2000's?
Even the POST TT ran 37's in the 90's as did most of the TT's. My vote as a participant from last year is 37's max.