Not that any of you care......

Jerry

Reaction
But I thought I would write a race report to express gratitude for the help I received and the fun that was had.
Well it all starts Friday night at 11pm while I was reading online about my buddy Richard Of RPM had flipped his car prerunning and was taken to the hospital. Well after finding out that he was ok the next logical thing to do was go race. So I go into the garage and see if I have window nets, I did. So at 12am Friday night I start putting window nets on and call my nephew Bret and tells him that I need a codriver cause I am racing Saturday night.
Long story short we get out there Saturday at about 3pm and sign up. Not real familiar with MDR and the various classes. I had it in my mind that I was racing 4 laps so fuel wasn’t going to be a problem and 100 miles no big deal. (By the way I am way out of shape and haven’t raced for over 2 Years)
Well 30 min before the race I notice some cracks on my spindals in a very sensitive area so I decide to not to race which is the conservative thing to do. Well I was then told to just have it welded and was directed to the Mcmillans who were right next to us. I went to Mark and asked if I could use his welder, well the McMillin crew could not have been more accommodating, they provided welder, gloves, hood, and table to block the wind.
Thanks to Richard and his crew who by the way was there after his crash and Hospital visit to go the fist 20 feet in the car so as to not loose there points I was ready to race.
So I go to the start and find out that I am not in the class I thought I was in. I am in I guess a pro class. Anyways we start and finish the first 4 laps and pull into the finish expecting a checker flag. To my dismay no checker flag and I had two more laps to do. So then on the 5th lap I come into the pits and fill the tank with some lawnmower cans my buddy brought to fill his toy. I wasn’t prepared to go more than 100 miles mentally physically or with the necessary fuel. So we are off. Then at about RM 7 I start hearing a noise so we get out to inspect, we lost an upper link bolt….. Poor prep on my behalf, didn’t tighten right. So after 30 min back in action.
Pull in at the finish of lap 6 no checker flag; the official says 2 more…. No way this can’t be, what is going on is someone playing a joke. So we leave and the first 5 miles I am telling my nephew I am done and should we quit. Right away in my mind’s eye I see Mark McMillin in dust to glory saying you never never give up. We pull into a check point and get out. I tell the official I am done…. I quit. He says are you sure, I said call it in we are done. He then looks at the time sheet and says you are winning you can’t quit. On and on this guy goes over and over you can’t quit, so under advisement of Mark McMillin and this official we go on.
Well after throwing a belt we finish. What a night. We literally pulled cob webs off the truck Saturday Morning and went racing. To our surprise we finished. Bigger surprise we won! I know there were not many in the class I think one other guy but that’s not the point. I won a battle against my own quitting demon and that is a huge accomplishment.
So a huge thanks to those guys out on the course who cheered us on, Mr. McMillin and crew and of course my nephew who went the whole race in a race suit 2 sizes too small.

Jerry

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
I CARE... its better to read these stories than all the complaining that goes on most of the time

awesome story... i love those last min races... they always seem to have sum of the best memories and results... ive done those last min MDR races back in the day where i was filling dump cans at 2 am so i could leave at 5am so i can make the start at 7am... great memories... u will remember that race and that win for a long time.

Ive come into the pits towards the end of long races and looked at my dad, also my crew chief, and said i dont know how much i have left!!! he always tells me "u have more than enough, man up, kick the pig and get'r done" its always a great feeling when u hit the wall and hit it right back twice as hard so u can keep going and finish!!!

m80ondirt

Reaction
Great Job, way to suck it up!! You owe the course official a cold one for stalling you on that!!!!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Why should we care? Because this kind of thread is what Off Road racing is all about. Wish more would post this kind of threads. Always fun to read.

Fun write up and way to stick in there. I enjoyed the read and the final out come. I've been in that F' this mode before, but you just can't quit. So I can relate.

A couple of questions: What class did you enter in and what class did you actually race? That info would of made it better.

Thanks for sharing.

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Reaction
I agree with you Trey!! I think the title of this thread should be changed to: What you've been waiting to read!! :D

I LOVE reading about race experiences!! All the thrills and spills, thoughts and feelings, hearing about those who helped, all of it!!! NEVER be sorry for sharing desert related info on a site with people that LOVE the desert!!! :D

Jerry

Reaction
I thought I was racing the 1400 class that was racing 4 laps. I guess the one I raced was a pro Class. Dont know the difference.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
I thought I was racing the 1400 class that was racing 4 laps. I guess the one I raced was a pro Class. Dont know the difference.
1450 is sportsman. 1400 is pro...
ur truck may not have been legal for 1450 i believe since it is linked and had the frame cut...
dont really know the rules. but great story

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Funny thing is I'm not sure what class you ran when I looked at the results. You were the only 14XX truck to run all 8 laps? Your profile says you race TT, did they put you in TT and place you in 14xx? I'm as confused as you. Either way, great job.

mkiefer

Reaction
Congats Jerry. We ate your dust on lap 4 for the last 10 miles. It was a rough course and just to finish out there is awsome.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
I agree with you Trey!! I think the title of this thread should be changed to: What you've been waiting to read!! :D

I LOVE reading about race experiences!! All the thrills and spills, thoughts and feelings, hearing about those who helped, all of it!!! NEVER be sorry for sharing desert related info on a site with people that LOVE the desert!!! :D
definitely.. agreed 100% this is the stuff i enjoy reading the most... sumtimes drama is fun when its sum 1 elses drama but lately there has been way to much!!!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
definitely.. agreed 100% this is the stuff i enjoy reading the most... sumtimes drama is fun when its sum 1 elses drama but lately there has been way to much!!!
Interesting enough the drama Jerry went thru is the best kind of drama (in the true since of the word). At the last minute throws his truck on a trailer and goes racing after a couple of years. No prep, just let's do it. Sticks it out after saying I've had it and finishes with a win. Now that's true drama.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
That’s a great story, one of the ages. Doing all the laps is difficult.
You can run a link with a cut or removed frame in 1450.

Fourstroker

Reaction
Congrats on the last minute win!

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Interesting enough the drama Jerry went thru is the best kind of drama (in the true since of the word). At the last minute throws his truck on a trailer and goes racing after a couple of years. No prep, just let's do it. Sticks it out after saying I've had it and finishes with a win. Now that's true drama.
true thats y i enjoy the amazing entertaining race drama rather than time penalties and bashing on score and Sal "Pescado" fish...

well if he had ran 1450 and only did 4 laps we wouldnt have had as entertaining of a story... everything happens for a reason and jerry tested his self and pushed him self to finish even though he was beat up... guted it out, got the win and enjoyed every sec.!

i like wut Ivan said about racing the 1000, towards the end u just want to get to the finish, but as u see the lights of the finish line u just beg for another mile or a half mile u just dont want it to end!!!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
A fun side note: if he had run TT he would of won there. :cool:

And got contingency payouts.

I love ride reports. Wish more would do them.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
A fun side note: if he had run TT he would of won there. :cool:

And got contingency payouts.

I love ride reports. Wish more would do them.
that would have been a capper to the story
"decided to race trophy truck saturday morning, ran saturday nite against mccallum, mcmillin, knuckles, archibald, and pierce! and got a W in the trophy truck division! no prep, just dusted it off, wiped off the 2 year old cob webs and outlasted sum of the best teams out there!"

NOT 2 BAD :D great job Jerry my hats off to ya

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Heck yeah we care. Great story......I love reading the race reports from everybody.

randy s

Reaction
you're right.. we don't care.......quack....what a great story. nice work indeed. i like stuff like this. makes all your hard work worth it. 8 laps. wow!

kwood

I'm a believer
Reaction
Awesome story, one of the best reads on here lately!

Congrats on the finish and the win!!