Nuclear melt down!

Dave_G

Reaction
Well, here's a pic of what happens when your heat treater has a controller failure in his vacuum furnace and has a nuclear melt down. This was a very rare accident that almost never happens. This was a load of Maraging Pro Truck ball joints that went to Jesus. $2K worth of material plus my labor down the sh*tter! My wallet is still squeeling! The material you see that has welded itself to the shank is part of the stainless steel rack from the furnace. These parts were later destroyed so that they would never be used on a car.

Like the saying goes...s*it happens!

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

Dave_G

Reaction
Oops, heres the pic......

Dave

Attachments

• 6-28504-oops2.JPG
    6-28504-oops2.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 115

Dave_G

Reaction
One more view.

Dave

Attachments

• 6-28505-oops1.JPG
    6-28505-oops1.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 108

Greg

Reaction
That sucks Dave. We just had two experimental mag. cubes rejected because we tried our best to make a part that had questionable engineering (should have said "no, we wont build it"). Our loss about $9500. ouch!

Greg

ntsqd

Reaction
Dave, I'm curious about the lube grooves, are they done in the same set-up as the ball surface. As in a very fast helical interpelation (sp ?) ? Or are they a serperate, essentially eccentric op ?
I've seen similar grooves in the likes of King Pin bushings and always marveled at how they could have been machined in a pre CNC era. Ruin the magic if you will......

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Dave_G

Reaction
RE: "Ruin the magic if you will......"

Why not. I mount the pin in a fixture in the lathe. Spin the part and cut one groove. Then index the pin 180 degrees and cut the other groove. No real magic here except the design of the fixture.

Dave

Dave_G

Reaction
Greg,
Wanna buy a machine shop? :) I think I'm going to close down and open a liquor store in the same building. The neighborhood is perfect! I'm going to sell booze, smokes, dirty magazines 9mm ammo and baby diapers. I'd probably make a better living than a machine shop!!!

Dave

ntsqd

Reaction
Shoot, I was hoping for a "I machined them using Rapid X-Z Traverse...." kind of response. Oh well.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Gotta love them heat treaters, I bet there policy on f-ing up your parts is three times the amount of the heat treat cost which don't pay for shiznit.... We had some 4130 pins our place siad wouldn't harden, wrong material.... Sent them another batch from the same bar and presto, right material and they hardend! Penchy heat treaters!