O2 simmulators

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I was thinking of doing some exhaust work to my 1998 5.7L chevy but was hesitant because I will need an O2 simmulator so my service engine soon light wont come on. What are the pros and cons with these?

Ryno

Reaction
I'll assume your referring to an O2 sensor. Your truck has the one on the y pipe, on the passenger side. They are about $ 60, get a bosch unit if you can. Just unplug it, and take it out. No big deal. As long as you put it back in before you start the truck...everything should be fine

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

blind655

Reaction
Ive got a 98 suburban with headers and cat back. Never had the check engine light come on. Ive still got all my stock O2 sensors... What is a O2 simmulator?

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Im not talking about o2 sensors im talking about o2 simmulators that plug into the o2 sensors some how. I am cutting out my cats and putting in cut outs so I can run open exhaust when I want to. To do this I need an o2 simmulator to tell my computer not to turn the ses light on. Anyone had experiance with these?

jeff

Reaction
I know a bunch of hotrod guys use them when retaining a stock computer system. From what I hear they even make them for the C5 guys... and if you can trick a Corvette computer you should be able to trick your trucks too. The simulators run about $50 bucks and you can order them online. All it really does is gives a "generic AOK" code to the system... the downside being if something is really wrong with the system the sensor will NOT pick it up or adjust air/fuel delivery. It's just a module that throws out a dummy code regardless of what is flowing through the pipes.

Here is a link to a site that sells them... there are plenty of others I'm just too lazy to post them all...
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.thunderracing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=subcategory&subcategoryid=1030>http://www.thunderracing.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=subcategory&subcategoryid=1030</A>

Scroll down the page - they are toward the bottom.