'Oakley Bomb Run Award'

birdman

Crandon, WI (May 12, 2009)-Oakley, the "Official Timekeeper of The Traxxas TORC Truck Series", announced today that it will award the top qualifier each week, in each of he top four pro classes, with a special Oakley-designed "Oakley Bomb Run Award". The driver with the top qualifying time will get a "bomb" to keep and a sticker to go on the team's hauler or truck that marks the drivers' "kills" just like a fighter pilot marks theirs (and reminds their competition who was the fastest that day).

"The Oakley demolition crew decided to drop a bombshell on racers with the most explosive times, a salvo of sick sculpture that salutes the fastest qualifiers," said Colin Baden, president of Oakley. "We've been in that mindset ever since we invented Time Bomb®, one of our first precision instruments, and it's our way of showing appreciation for being chosen as the Official Timekeeper of TORC. Racers can earn it by "nuking the competition", something we've been doing to timid minds since day one," Baden concluded.

Oakley will also create some year-end awards in addition to an overall Oakley Bomb Run Award; Oakley has designed a one-of-a-kind commemorative championship watch that will be awarded to the class champions in the 2009 Traxxas TORC Truck Series presented by AMSOIL. In addition, Oakley will award the end of the season, will present four full size "Oakley Bomb Run Awards". In each of the four classes, the driver with the most "Oakley Bomb Run Awards" will receive the 2009 Season Bomb Run Trophy.

birdman

This sounds pretty cool. So who do you think will win the end of the year BOMB? if i were to put money on it i would say Douglas will get it in pro-4(last year he was pretty dang good on the qualifiers ) Pro two would go to Rob and Pro lite goes to Jeff K.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
i love the idea!!!... ive always thought it would be cool to have a sticker or something along those lines (kind of like what a college football player wears on their helmet) on your race car for wins that that particular car has won

im all for it !!!

baja619

How clever. This is the stuff that will keep a series like TORC going when there is such stiff competition with LOORS.

Great idea Oakley!

hoeker

at the track they made it sound like they switched this to the fastest lap of the race, i hope so as this is EVEN BETTER!

Pro-Lite Brian

That makes more sense that it would be the fastest lap of the race since there isn't going to be "qualifying" for starting positions...

FWIW, I think I prefer the qualifying each morning, but there are some merits to a starting inversion based on season points. I would like to see a qualifying round for each class with points (3,2,1) handed out, and then during the opening cerimonies have a fan pull a ball out of the hopper to set the inversion for all classes. That would add some fan interaction and end some of the possible complaints of favoritism. The inversion should be the top 0,2,4,6,8 qualifiers... not the number of rows inverted.

baja619

I appreciate the twist the inversion's lay down. It sure gets interesting after that.